Signed sticks?

Asher

Reaction score
I ran across this ad on Craigslist, asking $50 for a pair of sticks signed by Paul Bostaph:

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/msg/3922155389.html

I was curious whether there's actually a market for things like this, so I went to eBay and found a seller called "pbmanagement" that seems to exclusively sell Paul Bostaph autographed gear:

http://myworld.ebay.com/pbmanagement

Is this common? I know there are brokers of autographed gear -- my wife runs a non-profit foundation, and they get some autographed items for charity auctions through some sort of service -- but do musicians (or their management) often sell their own autographed sticks, heads, etc.?

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
For only $6.50, I can get you a signed drum stick by Clyde Hepplefinger. Clyde who?

donnbennett

Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have several pairs of Elvin Jones' used sticks. They are not signed, but they are used and have certificates of authenticity from his wife. I sell them since I have a large quantity of them, they were not a personal gift and I feel there a lot of people who would be interested in owning them. I have a huge collection of famous drummers sticks that I doubt I'd ever sell. They were mostly gifts. I do see lots of bands selling signed drumsticks, heads etc at their merch tables live and on their websites. Just another revenue stream for bands and artists. More power to them.

Asher

Reaction score
donnbennett said:
I have several pairs of Elvin Jones' used sticks. They are not signed, but they are used and have certificates of authenticity from his wife. I sell them since I have a large quantity of them, they were not a personal gift and I feel there a lot of people who would be interested in owning them. I have a huge collection of famous drummers sticks that I doubt I'd ever sell. They were mostly gifts. I do see lots of bands selling signed drumsticks, heads etc at their merch tables live and on their websites. Just another revenue stream for bands and artists. More power to them.
I'm too cheap to buy the sticks you've been selling, but I admit I'd like to own something Elvin actually played. (Preferably a drum or a cymbal, but since I'm too cheap to buy the drumsticks, there's no way I'll ever have one of those.) Elvin was one-of-a-kind, though, and he's not with us anymore.

I don't mean to bash the bands that sell used gear like this, particularly since I don't have to depend on the ever-changing music business to make a living. I personally couldn't see myself selling my autograph to my fans (if I had any!), but I'd also be homeless and starving if I had to rely on my business acumen and salesmanship to make a living.

drummerfish

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
people sell music memorabilia all the time. i've sent alot of memorabilia at 2 different auctions and was more than happy with the outcome. so much better than selling on ebay because these are going into the hands of real collectors. in fact i have even more items for sale, and i was going to post a question about a ringo stick and head i have.

for me if its a signed item, its really a matter of "is it really autographed" by someone. not that i collect autos, but when i see something on ebay that's my first question. anything with a certificate doesn't mean the item is a real signature. and most of the forgeries are in sports collecting (many have been busted thru the years)

it really comes down to who the seller is and the history of the item. most sellers will go into detail on how and where they got it.