header.nohb.html

Silent Sticks

Madmarian

Reaction score
hi, i have indeed tried them. I was able to test the first prototypes like 12 years ago. The manufacturer back then was a hawaiian guy who made them himself. I started retailing them as I liked how low volume you could play drums with them, especially our low volume drums series (the worship series). Sadly the original sticks had some design flaws which caused a) the lids to break and/or fall out and b) the stick to split (which also caused the lids to fall out.) Plus the sticks were very thin and very light, a bit too much for many drummers.

For several years I tried to convince the hawaiian dude to improve the sticks, then finally we started researching ourself, in agreememt with the inventor, and replaced the breakable materials with nylon, use some glue to prevent the lids from falling out while simultaniously keeping the shaft from breaking, and making the grip thicker and over all nicer.

The now rebranded Stick sells as "Adoro Silent Sticks", and while I am certainly not the inventor of this, I am pretty proud that we managed to improve this genious item which really enables you as drummer to play your drum set at cajon volume level. The sticks last about 3-4 times longer than rods, preventing your rug from being covered in saw dust, and can take a bashing. In fact, when I started making these sticks in larger numbers, one of our potential investors tried to destroy them and backed up, claiming the sticks would be indestructible, and thus a bad investment for him (drummers would buy one pair, and then never need another one again. Yes, this is an issue for greedy inverstors..) Some metal drummers certainly proved him wrong, and we see the sticks breaking sometimes, his bad. but... they last certainly longer than potential inverstors want them to - lol...

The reason why I initially loved these sticks was not only the fact that they keep volume down, but they play a lot more like sticks than all other alternatives I had tried so far - and I had them all, from brushes, rods, nylon rods, up to whacky tubes, rubber tips etc. - they actually sound really good, pretty much stick like (given the fact that every stick sounds a bit different, I would even claim, they do sound like sticks!) Also, switching from regular volume to ppp while keeping your dynamics is drop dead simple, just switch sticks and beater (oh yeah, there is a beater, or actually two, one designed for acoustic drums, one for electric ones, both by far the lowest volume beaters on the market, not by my comparison, but some others have done the measuring, i think it was 65drums on youtube).

And one word to all those who usually comment our sticks with "why don't you just play less loud with regular sticks, a good drummer can do so", - yes, sure a skilled drummer can play ppp, but a) you lose dynamics, as mentioned, when ghost notes are your max volume level and b) it is really not a lot of fun to play ppp with regular sticks, which is why drummers in first place turned to rods, nylon rods, brushes etc in first place. For me, but I am biased, the silent sticks are the best option out there to get drums less loud, without investing a lot into equipment (edrums, less loud acoustic drums, low volume cymbals, mesh heads etc).

So...if you have any questions regarding the silent sticks, you can ask me. They are now hand made in my little company in the outskirts of Hamburg, Germany, and we take a lot of pride in making them.

here is a video our local TV aired a few weeks ago, showing how we make the sticks (and drums):

Last edited:

Madmarian

Reaction score
www.silent-sticks.com

Anyone tried these?
Comments?
I like that they "keep rug free of sawdust"
TIA
oh and good news - we recently got a new dealer in Canada, long & mcQuade, so that means you can go to any of the 90+ music stores and ask for them to try out. Not every store might yet have them in stock, but they certainly can send them to each store within few days, so you can try them before buying.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I enjoy mine a lot ….they are very durable as well , I do a lot of rim shots with them .

5stroke

Reaction score
Just watched the videos and decided to purchase the thick (5a) Silent Sticks. I have quiet gigs and a need for quiet practicing so it'll be interesting to see how these compare to what I'm using now to keep the volume quiet w/muffled drums-microfiber cloths and LV cymbals.

5stroke

Reaction score
Just watched the videos and decided to purchase the thick (5a) Silent Sticks. I have quiet gigs and a need for quiet practicing so it'll be interesting to see how these compare to what I'm using now to keep the volume quiet w/muffled drums-microfiber cloths and LV cymbals.
The Adoro Silent Sticks arrived a couple of weeks ago and I've been using them ever since for practice at home, especially later at night when the urge to drum hits me up. They certainly aren't good for developing stick control or stick chops like regular sticks-- but they are excellent for working on drumset exercises, grooves, patterns, anything else when low volume is necessary. Better than rods or light drum sticks for what I need. I use them on my low volume cymbals and pads as well for even quieter. Well worth the one time purchase price and something to use for a long time to come...

Madmarian

Reaction score
thanks for your review! A great feature is that you can play hand drums with them as well, I often play Congas and Bongos with them. Sure you can do it with regular sticks as well, but that is how i ruined my bongos, and I certainly would not recommend it to anyone who has a good pair.