header.nohb.html

Silken Cymbals

govind11

Reaction score
Hey yoll!
Are silken Cymbals any good ? Ive heard they match up to Zildjian K customs. Is that true ?
Pls help me out as I'm looking to buy a silken Splash.
Thanks

mtarrani

DFO Star
Reaction score
Hey yoll!
Are silken Cymbals any good ? Ive heard they match up to Zildjian K customs. Is that true ?
Pls help me out as I'm looking to buy a silken Splash.
Thanks
Not sure about Wuhan's silken line matching up to K Customs, but will say that fifteen years ago I purchased a K Custom Dark splash that I was going to use in a dixieland setting, and later purchased a regular Wuhan splash of the same size (had ideas of making a weird set of hats.) I could not discern any real sonic difference between the two as splashes. That may be due to the nature of splash cymbals in general. I don't use splashes these days, but if I did I would probably have no problem using a Wuhan.

dtk

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So Silken was a specific maker in Wuhan. As far as I know there were two people in the US bringing them in and under their own specs. I briefly tried to sell for one guy, Ken B.

Around thanks giving 2008 I tried to sell them to some music stores around Maryland/DC and one of the stores (I forget the name) thought they were great but too much (Ken was comparing his pricing to Zildjian, the store said he needed to be as cheap as Dream was at the time)...I still have one of the splashes.

At the end of the day the pricing should be in line with other Chinese makers. They are B20...some sound great.

makinao

Reaction score
I have three of their Trois series. 20” thin ride, 20” crash, and 18“ crash. Got them cheap in a close out sale. B20, hammered, and unlathed. Rather soft, as in the edges could dent if bashed. They sound funky, trashy and a little gongy. Some spots have a different pitch than others. This is most noticeable when using mallets. Strange but interesting cymbals. I’m keeping mine.