Similar cymbals to Transition Ride

goodcat1337

Reaction score
Are there any other rides out there that compare to a Transition Ride? Anything larger than the 21”?

I’d be extremely interested in something in the 23” or 24” size, if there’s anything out there that exists.

bob meyer

Reaction score
Are there any other rides out there that compare to a Transition Ride? Anything larger than the 21”?

I’d be extremely interested in something in the 23” or 24” size, if there’s anything out there that exists.
I'm an Istanbul Agop endorser. Love them, but nothing like the "glassy, dark" thing of a Trans Stamp... closer to dark Intermediate & New Stamp K's.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The Meinl Transition Ride is thinner, darker ride with some Turk and Traditional qualities IMO. I would look at Mehmet, Apog and Bosphorus Sultan/Anitque Jazz Rides in 22-24" size.

dogmanaut

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Well, the particular Transition ride I briefly owned was maybe the single ugliest sounding cymbal I’ve ever played. Super metallic and abrasive with tons of weird overtones. I was not a fan — at least not of that specific one. I’ve seen tons of videos of other Transition rides that sounded fine, but that one was a serious dog.

So based on that admittedly skewed perception, if I had to recommend another cymbal instead that I think does some of the same things (but better), I would probably say an Agop OM. The good news is there is a 24” model; the bad news is it’s pretty rare (and pricey whenever it does pop up).

A 23” Bosphorus Lyric ride (Ari Hoenig signature model) might also work for you. Partially just depends on which qualities from the Transition ride you’re looking to duplicate.

jtpaistegeist

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Well, the particular Transition ride I briefly owned was maybe the single ugliest sounding cymbal I’ve ever played. Super metallic and abrasive with tons of weird overtones. I was not a fan — at least not of that specific one. I’ve seen tons of videos of other Transition rides that sounded fine, but that one was a serious dog.

So based on that admittedly skewed perception, if I had to recommend another cymbal instead that I think does some of the same things (but better), I would probably say an Agop OM. The good news is there is a 24” model; the bad news is it’s pretty rare (and pricey whenever it does pop up).

A 23” Bosphorus Lyric ride (Ari Hoenig signature model) might also work for you. Partially just depends on which qualities from the Transition ride you’re looking to duplicate.

This was my experience with the trans Ride as well. Actually, I visited every local drum shop looking at Meinl cymbals a few months back and found almost all (Byzance) to be like that.

Aren't the Byzance cymbals made by Diril and re-branded with a big price jump (secretively of course)? They certainly look 200% identical in every way and sound. I also see lots of Samsun cymbals that Diril also makes, they look and sound exactly like Byzance cymbals, only alot less $$

Latest posts