Simon Kirke's Gretsch kit used on BC recordings.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Does anyone know what series Gretsch he used to record with ALL of BC albums with&what snare he used?,
Hope you're ALL coping well with this virus?,
I work from home,
Just me&my dog,
The local goverment's implicated/instigated by law stage 3 restrictions :(.

NobleCooleyNut

Reaction score
Gretsch has two lines when those records were made . The top of the line which is now know as USA Custom and a lower line named Blackhawk .

Simon’s kit would be from what is now known as the USA Custom line - diecast hoops , maple/gum shells .
I have seen him using a Ludwig 402 snare with Bad Company

Simon also used a black Ludwig kit with Bad Company as well .

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I know someone who wound up with the kit he used on the first album. Ludwig, with a 402 snare. When did he use Gretsch? I've only seen him with Ludwig(then DW).

Dan

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm shocked at this. Every kit I've ever seen Simon with in BC is a Ludwig, but goes to show, nobody knows what goes on in a studio.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
Bit of a contradiction/confusing answers as when the issue came out he made it perfectly clear it's a Gretsch kit!!!!.Wish he was more specific on his " mongrel"/mishmashed" kit was!!!!! :(.

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
In the Isle of Wight festival he is using a 60's oyster black jazzfest. I wonder what happened to that snare?

Johnny D

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Gretsch has two lines when those records were made . The top of the line which is now know as USA Custom and a lower line named Blackhawk .

Simon’s kit would be from what is now known as the USA Custom line - diecast hoops , maple/gum shells .
I have seen him using a Ludwig 402 snare with Bad Company

Simon also used a black Ludwig kit with Bad Company as well .
I don't believe Gretsch had the Blackhawk line in 1974, at least not in their catalog. I recall first seeing them in the early 80s. They were made in Taiwan and competed with Tama Swingstars and Pearl Exports.

When the first Bad Co record was made in 1974, Gretsch had one line of drums called... get ready for it... Gretsch Drums.

I remember reading that Simon played Gretsch and was floored. I can't imagine him playing anything but Ludwig back then, especially given his connection to Bonzo and Zeppelin (Bad Co was signed to LZ's label "Swan Song"). I dunno...

Reaction score
We need a thread or a sticky called,

"For X years, from XX to XX, there was only one "kind" of Gretsch Drums. And they were called... GRETSCH DRUMS!"

Originally they were 3 ply and RB, but after that changed, nothing changed about the shells for X amount of years.

The badges changed a few times, the hardware sucked, their consistency and workmanship was questionable, the factory "edges" were an "adventure," the rims were cast, and some of the shells were a little oversized making heads a little tough to put on occasionally. The shells came from the Jasper furniture (furniture right?) factory and were a combination of Maple and Gum, and were sealed with silver paint on the inside.

One of our vintage experts could easily fill in all the X's with exact dates, (please do!) but the point is...
No USA Customs, No Renowns, No Catalina, No Elite, No Oak, No Brooklyn, No 100% Maple....

Before Steve Maxwell, before DW's investment, and for MANY years, there were only... just... GRETSCH DRUMS.

And I (and many others) LOVE them!
This has been a public service announcement,
Love and Peace,
MSG

(now don't get me started on Yamaha "Tour" series drums, all three different variations with the same "name.")

(maybe, just maybe, being inside for 3 weeks is starting to get to me... Just a little bit.)

Everyone be safe!

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the Isle of Wight festival he is using a 60's oyster black jazzfest. I wonder what happened to that snare?
Hmmm, the 1970 Isle of Wight? I've got him on a Hayman there. Or you mean just the snare?

BennyK

DFO Star
Reaction score
Fire and Water and Heartbreaker to me ,are among the finest recorded drums anywhere anytime .

Kirke would put his magic touch to any brand , but I'm pretty sure those were Haymans on the Mr Big album .

davidh

Reaction score
I saw Free in 1970 shortly after "All Right Now" - he played a Hayman set and hit them blisteringly hard. Funnily enough in 1969 I was browsing, as you do, in Drum City in London and Simon Kirke was there choosing cymbals having just gotten a record deal and advance - he asked me to help by hitting a few as he listened at a distance.. when I saw him play some time after that I realised my jazzy tinklings on the cymbals were nothing like the massive power of his playing. He was young, tall, fit and muscular and played like it.
Unique talent,

Skeet6

Reaction score
We need a thread or a sticky called,

"For X years, from XX to XX, there was only one "kind" of Gretsch Drums. And they were called... GRETSCH DRUMS!"

Originally they were 3 ply and RB, but after that changed, nothing changed about the shells for X amount of years.

The badges changed a few times, the hardware sucked, their consistency and workmanship was questionable, the factory "edges" were an "adventure," the rims were cast, and some of the shells were a little oversized making heads a little tough to put on occasionally. The shells came from the Jasper furniture (furniture right?) factory and were a combination of Maple and Gum, and were sealed with silver paint on the inside.

One of our vintage experts could easily fill in all the X's with exact dates, (please do!) but the point is...
No USA Customs, No Renowns, No Catalina, No Elite, No Oak, No Brooklyn, No 100% Maple....

Before Steve Maxwell, before DW's investment, and for MANY years, there were only... just... GRETSCH DRUMS.

And I (and many others) LOVE them!
This has been a public service announcement,
Love and Peace,
MSG

(now don't get me started on Yamaha "Tour" series drums, all three different variations with the same "name.")

(maybe, just maybe, being inside for 3 weeks is starting to get to me... Just a little bit.)

Everyone be safe!
Thank you thank you. This has bothered me on so many posts - especially the Facebook Gretsch groups. When I was coming of age, 70s-80s-90s... it was Gretsch. Period. USA Custom wasn't a thing.
Mike B
PS: don't get me started on the guys that say "Catlina" sounds Gretsch-y - and every bit as good!