header.nohb.html

Simon Phillips teaches Space Boogie groove

Skyrm

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And makes it look so easy. LOL.

He's been one of my favorite drummers for years. He's only 4 years older than me - so when I saw him in a clinic in Chicago back in the early 80's he was only about 25. And had already recorded this tune with Jeff Beck. Wow.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
And just in case my church picks out a tune in 19/16, I'm all set now!!!

dcrigger

DFO Star
Reaction score
Space Boogie - the first four beats of that are the same as Billy Cobham's "Quadrant 4". I just find the 1/4 note triplets starting on 2 and 4 (and 6 in Space Boogie) just impossible to pull off at that tempo. I mean, I can play them with one hand by themself - but with everything else going on.... yeesh.

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I don't care for a lot of music that he's been a part of (not a Toto fan) but to me, in terms of busy, big kit, rock/fusion drumming he's about the best there is out there (and maybe Billy Cobham). He does so much interesting, complex type stuff.... like really using double bass drums as another voice (a counterpoint) rather than how I see those things used in so much music which is really just doubling up the rhythm. I love how he's able to play triplet patterns on them against a straight rock cymbal pattern.

Skyrm

DFO Master
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Simon mentions being influenced by Bill in that first vid. And, really, his kit is almost an exact copy of Billy's late 70's Tama setup. I love how that is his fusion rig, his Toto/Who rig, and his piano trio rig!! :)

boomstick

Reaction score
I was never a big kit drummer, and really not into prog music, so Simon was off my radar most of the time. Then I converted to open-handed drumming, and suddenly I started paying attention!

I really dig this video where's he's playing mostly snares. So cool.

He also gets such great sound out of his kits. I bought one of his sig snares which I love...

SPS1.jpg

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, Simon mentions being influenced by Bill in that first vid. And, really, his kit is almost an exact copy of Billy's late 70's Tama setup. I love how that is his fusion rig, his Toto/Who rig, and his piano trio rig!! :)
His Hiromi stuff is amazing. I read that when Steve Smith subbed for him he said that that was the most challenging music he had ever had to learn. Respect.

Steech

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was never a big kit drummer, and really not into prog music, so Simon was off my radar most of the time. Then I converted to open-handed drumming, and suddenly I started paying attention!

I really dig this video where's he's playing mostly snares. So cool.

He also gets such great sound out of his kits. I bought one of his sig snares which I love...

View attachment 559681
Yup he consistently has one of the best sounding drum sets in the biz.

Treviso1

DFO Star
Reaction score
Yup he consistently has one of the best sounding drum sets in the biz.
I would go as far as to say that no one's drums sound better than Simon's drums. I've seen him many times live, but I always go back to the first time I saw him playing a large club in Detroit called The Ritz back in the summer of 1993 with Toto. I had played that club dozens of times and heard probably over 100 different drummers play that club though that large house PA. No one's kit ever sounded like Simon's kit. The toms were wide open, resonating, no gates on anything...it was astounding. This giant double bass kit on that stage and you could hear every tom "doom, doom, doom..." resonating fully, wide open and just beautiful with everything EQ'd just perfectly. No gates! The bass drums were perfect, the snare was perfect...everything was just perfect. When he went to the gong drum, it shook the rafters. It left an impression on me that to this day, I try to mimic. I take the time to really dial in the drum sound so that nothing else is really needed. I hate gates on drums and when you have finely tuned every drum in with the EQ, you really don't need anything else. Of course, the man's talent behind the kit is like no other. I just like his approach to composition, be it songs or drum parts. Just listen to "Give Blood"...

cribbon

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Someone needs to tell Simon all he needs is a 4 piece !!!!!!!
Actually he did use a small(er) kit with Vantage Point (single kick with multiple toms). He can sound good on anything in any situation.

Also, when I saw him with Hiromi a few years ago, he was playing the entire large kit (double kick, two snares, octabans, eight toms, gong bass), which seemed a bit overkill in the small jazz club where they were playing. When I asked him why he was using it, he said that Hiromi specifically requested that he use the big kit.

Vistalite Black

Ludwigs in the Basement
Reaction score
If I believed in lists , I’d put him in top ten somewhere…..

Paging @Vistalite Black
In posting 10 Drumming Chameleons Who Can Blend Into Any Style, I noted that Simon Phillips should have been listed for drumming with both Judas Priest and Tears for Fears.

Houndog

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In posting 10 Drumming Chameleons Who Can Blend Into Any Style, I noted that Simon Phillips should have been listed for drumming with both Judas Priest and Tears for Fears.

You certainly did , and I commended you for it as well !!!!

5 Style

DFO Star
Reaction score
I would go as far as to say that no one's drums sound better than Simon's drums. I've seen him many times live, but I always go back to the first time I saw him playing a large club in Detroit called The Ritz back in the summer of 1993 with Toto. I had played that club dozens of times and heard probably over 100 different drummers play that club though that large house PA. No one's kit ever sounded like Simon's kit. The toms were wide open, resonating, no gates on anything...it was astounding. This giant double bass kit on that stage and you could hear every tom "doom, doom, doom..." resonating fully, wide open and just beautiful with everything EQ'd just perfectly. No gates! The bass drums were perfect, the snare was perfect...everything was just perfect. When he went to the gong drum, it shook the rafters. It left an impression on me that to this day, I try to mimic. I take the time to really dial in the drum sound so that nothing else is really needed. I hate gates on drums and when you have finely tuned every drum in with the EQ, you really don't need anything else. Of course, the man's talent behind the kit is like no other. I just like his approach to composition, be it songs or drum parts. Just listen to "Give Blood"...
Not that I would compare myself to SP. My chops are so lame in comparison that I couldn't even say that I'm influenced by the guy, as much as I like his drumming. That being said, I do like the fact that he plays rock type stuff with a really open resonant tuning as I do. At least we have that in common! It makes me feel better about not going along with the masses and tuning flabbier, with thicker heads and with dampening. I never loved that sound, but even more than that, I just don't like the feel of playing such dead drums...