Simple question: did Buddy Rich actually use the signature sticks Vic Firth makes?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I used the VF Buddy Rich sticks for a while but the friggin' coating left white marks all over my cymbals. Removing those marks is why all my cymbals from '84 – '94 have been completely cleaned, including the logos.
Yeah- same here. It was okay when I used natural, uncoated cymbals, but a HARD pass on my Colorsounds.

piccupstix

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got a hold of a used Buddy Rich stick at one of his Disneyland performances. I think my girlfriend asked for it cuz I was too damn dumbstruck. I was amazed at how light the thing was. Those Vic Firth sticks were ridiculously off the mark of what he used (and what's with that color?). I don't ever remember Vic Firth actually saying anything about it being an exact reproduction of what Buddy used so they're off the "hook" and it appears just a 'money grab,' as these companies do. I also have no idea if Cathy had any involvement.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
even tho the "tip" were left unpainted? or were your possibly early ones painted entirely; Yeah I bought a Pair they sit as my only "shrine" to the Bud..
Originally the tips of the BR sticks were painted as well. However, regardless of the tips, when I crashed a cymbal with the shank of the stick it also left a mark (and my style includes lots of crashes and rimshots). So after I cleaned all that stuff off my cymbals I switched to VF 5As, which I've been using for more than 25 years.

Reactions: JDA

drummer

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
So is Cathy Rich
I got a hold of a used Buddy Rich stick at one of his Disneyland performances. I think my girlfriend asked for it cuz I was too damn dumbstruck. I was amazed at how light the thing was. Those Vic Firth sticks were ridiculously off the mark of what he used (and what's with that color?). I don't ever remember Vic Firth actually saying anything about it being an exact reproduction of what Buddy used so they're off the "hook" and it appears just a 'money grab,' as these companies do. I also have no idea if Cathy had any involvement.
So is Cathy Rich?

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ordered a pair awhile back and as soon as I got them I thought that there was no way these could have been used by Buddy. Thanks for this thread that confirms that. These sticks are huge, heavy and white for some reason. I am doubtful that even Buddy's super-strong playing could move these sticks at the speeds he played.

I kind of felt ripped off by VF to be honest, but it was only 10 bucks, so not the biggest deal I guess, but still it's not right to pass these sticks off as Buddy's sticks.

CSR

Member since May 2000
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking at her stopping production on DW’s Buddy Rich Commemorative drum set, I think she has the name pretty well locked down for commercial products.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Please see my comment earlier in this thread. With regard to it being a "money grab as these companies do" - you're slightly off the mark. The management and commercialization of Buddy's Estate is widely known, especially in the Drum Industry. There isn't one "company" in the Drum Industry that seeked to profit off of Buddy's name and legacy. Did others try to profit? You can draw your own conclusions.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Looking at her stopping production on DW’s Buddy Rich Commemorative drum set, I think she has the name pretty well locked down for commercial products.
It makes me think of the last surviving full sibling of Jimi Hendrix dying off and Jimi’s half sister trying to do all of these crazy collaborations with Gibson/Baldwin including such items as the Jimi Hendrix piano (wish I were kidding), a custom shop Flying V and a Strat-shaped guitar that was the “Jimi Hendrix signature beginner guitar kit”. There was so much outcry over the piano and the beginner guitar outfit that I think only the Flying V, complete with the famous artwork is what stuck. There were so many people disgusted by this blatant cash grab, that all of these products were, effectively a flop.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
On a lighter note... this made me think of my first job in the drum business, working at the original E.U. Wurlitzer Music in Boston. In fact, that's where I first met Vic in 1980, but I digress and that's another story.

Whenever I or anyone at Wurlitzer complained about their salary, my boss would say, "Did I come to your house and ask you to work here?" It was very funny at the time and "you had to be there" but it's a similar situation to this Buddy Rich topic... No companies contacted Buddy's Estate and asked them to do a signature product.

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Please see my comment earlier in this thread. With regard to it being a "money grab as these companies do" - you're slightly off the mark. The management and commercialization of Buddy's Estate is widely known, especially in the Drum Industry. There isn't one "company" in the Drum Industry that seeked to profit off of Buddy's name and legacy. Did others try to profit? You can draw your own conclusions.
We never truly know the motivation to try monetizing a dead relative’s famous name. Many times it was, in the case of Elvis Presley, because the estate was nearly penniless from poor management. Sometimes it goes from need to greed. I am not judging, even as disgusting as it can appear (see my post about Jimi Hendrix’s estate). I don’t blame a company from jumping onboard; after all, they’re only going to do it if it seems to be a good gamble. They want a new marketing angle to keep employees working and make a profit.

Ron_M

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't understand how some of you guys buy your sticks. You look at the specs, right? Stick material, length, diameter, taper. I mean, who gets a stick and thinks, "Christ, I had no idea..."? Does anyone care about the artist's name tied to a stick?

Dumpy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't understand how some of you guys buy your sticks. You look at the specs, right? Stick material, length, diameter, taper. I mean, who gets a stick and thinks, "Christ, I had no idea..."? Does anyone care about the artist's name tied to a stick?
Two questions I have for a stick:

1) how does it feel?

2) how does it play?

For me, I could not care any less about the name on the stick unless it is Charles Manson, Jefferey Daumer, or Ted Bundy, et. al, and I will refuse to buy it if a mass murderer’s name is on it. I liked a few incarnations of the Peter Erskine stick, but it was because of the two above questions, not Peter’s name on the barrel. The Buddy stick felt okay and took a chance on it.

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
When I bought my set, I didn't know as much about sizes as I do now. So I actually did go more by the name on the stick than I did the size or dimensions. I naively figured that a jazz player like BR wouldn't use sticks that big, but they are!

That's why as a relative newbie, I felt ripped somewhat off by VF.

Drumbelly

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My brother was working for JVC 40 years ago and they supplied the audio for a Jazz Festival somewhere in the Midwest. Buddy’s band just finished playing, so my brother went onto the stage and took his sticks right off of his floor tom- they were Ludwig blue label 5As.