Simple question. What is this bracket on my snare for?

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
there is a guy here in Boston who swears that Ludwig acrolites are the best for marching/New Orleans type bands.
you could put a cord w/a clip on a drum key and you'd know where it is (doesn't that stick rattle?)

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Looks to me like where you would put a sling for a marching snare. No idea why it's on your concert snare though.
I wondered about it being for marching but was sure how well it would have worked on this snare.

Gunnellett

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good idea on clipping a drum key to it. I played a couple of minutes with the stick hanging there and it swayed a some but I didn't hear any noise from it over the snare or hi-hats. I don't know if I will keep one there. Just seeing if I could use it for something.
there is a guy here in Boston who swears that Ludwig acrolites are the best for marching/New Orleans type bands.
you could put a cord w/a clip on a drum key and you'd know where it is (doesn't that stick rattle?)

CherryClassic

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yep, it's for a strap. We used that back in the old days when I was marching in high school.

They also had a clip type of thing mounted on the shell to hold the tuning key.

sherm

backtodrum

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I see those all the time with second line drummers marching... In my experience they often will use stage snares as marchers instead of actual marching snares! just my observation!

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
All the old marching snares had that clip for the shoulder sling. The drum would hang way down to the right--which is why we all played trad grip. It actually goes back to the civil war and even before.