Simple songs that are more interesting upon analysing them?

NickSchles

Reaction score
So, a bit of context…

I recently posted a cover of Dam That River which I did with my band, The Mercy House. I was originally planning on playing it note-for-note, but then decided to just jam it and have fun with it. I thought it’d be more satisfying that way (it was), plus it wouldn’t require too much effort (it didn’t).

With that in mind, I had previously looked for transcriptions online but couldn’t find any! I actually wondered why nobody had bothered before, so I decided to quickly transcribe it and put it out there, as I’m doing now.

In any case, it wasn’t until I started charting it that I began to appreciate the parts and phrasing a bit more. I love how the grooves fit into the riffs… It’s not something you’d generally pay attention to whilst casually listening to the tune, as it just flows so naturally!

Anyhow, probably the biggest reason I decided to transcribe it was so I could teach it to my students. Similarly, I thought I’d share the transcription with you too in case you’d like to do the same!

Check out the post, and download the PDF here: https://nickschlesinger.com/alice-in-chains-dam-that-river-drums

I’m curious now, so I put it to you… What tunes are seemingly simple, but were more interesting upon analysing them?

Either way, I hope the transcription’s useful!

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Wow, sounds great! And you and your band gave it enough spin that it was a minute before I remembered who did it originally.
Having said that, one of the great things about AIC’s best work is that they clearly put a lot of time and thought into giving each song unique twists. They aren’t just cookie-cutter rock songs. Well done!
BTW, did you write these charts in 6/4, or 4/4? I think I might have done 6/4, because of the riff.

NickSchles

Reaction score
Wow, sounds great! And you and your band gave it enough spin that it was a minute before I remembered who did it originally.
Having said that, one of the great things about AIC’s best work is that they clearly put a lot of time and thought into giving each song unique twists. They aren’t just cookie-cutter rock songs. Well done!
BTW, did you write these charts in 6/4, or 4/4? I think I might have done 6/4, because of the riff.
Ha! That's a lovely compliment, dude. Thank you!

Agreed re the thought they put into their music, for sure!

Ah, that's an interesting way to think of the time signature... I went with 4/4 because it might be less confusing. But, it didn't even cross my mind to approach it as 6/4. Have a look at the transcription... I've linked to it! :)

Matched Gripper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
So, a bit of context…

I recently posted a cover of Dam That River which I did with my band, The Mercy House. I was originally planning on playing it note-for-note, but then decided to just jam it and have fun with it. I thought it’d be more satisfying that way (it was), plus it wouldn’t require too much effort (it didn’t).

With that in mind, I had previously looked for transcriptions online but couldn’t find any! I actually wondered why nobody had bothered before, so I decided to quickly transcribe it and put it out there, as I’m doing now.

In any case, it wasn’t until I started charting it that I began to appreciate the parts and phrasing a bit more. I love how the grooves fit into the riffs… It’s not something you’d generally pay attention to whilst casually listening to the tune, as it just flows so naturally!

Anyhow, probably the biggest reason I decided to transcribe it was so I could teach it to my students. Similarly, I thought I’d share the transcription with you too in case you’d like to do the same!

Check out the post, and download the PDF here: https://nickschlesinger.com/alice-in-chains-dam-that-river-drums

I’m curious now, so I put it to you… What tunes are seemingly simple, but were more interesting upon analysing them?

Either way, I hope the transcription’s useful!

“Black Cow” by Steely Dan. The part is simple. But, Paul Humphries’ groove is not so easy to duplicate.

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Quite a work out on the bass drum ,if you're willing to try it authentically . On the Woodstock version Errico hits those trumpet figures with cymbal crashes at the end of the song . Whew !!