Sinatra at the Sands 1966

Germandrummer

Reaction score
I got this on vinyl as a christmas gift and can`t stop listening! Sinatra and Basie couldn`t get any better.

The stunning sound quality and the ambient noise from the audience just made it a wonderful background music for our Christmas Eve.

Sonny Payne`s drumming is spot on and the kit (which one?) sounds amazing with the band. I like his drumming here not to be completely out of the world being for me somehow comprehensible in what Sonny does and how a style like this could be approached by practising.

I`m still totally overwhelmed by this evening`s atmosphere. Mr. Sinatra also seemed to be in a good mood.

Still one question: who did that amazing muted thrombone solo on "Makin` Whopee"?

sands.jpg

drummerfriend

Reaction score
One of the first albums seared into my memory at the age of perhaps 4 years old.

It was the very first CD I ever purchased when finally moving to CD's from vinyl.

Also check out the corresponding album as well...

1609445642514.png

kdgrissom

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If one doesn't feel the urge to tap your foot or click your fingers to Basie and (or) Sinatra, you're clinically dead.

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
I'm always looking for good vinyl. I ran across a batch of Sinatra albums a few years ago at thrift. They were in great condition. This album was in that lot that I purchased. i too was blown away by the sound of it. Need to get it spinning!

Mike

MrDrums2112

"Normal" Drummer
Reaction score
Sonny Payne is one of my favorite drummers because of this album. His dynamics truly drive the band here throughout the set.

hsosdrum

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the unique privilege of seeing Sinatra at the Sands in September of 1967, backed by none other than Buddy Rich and his orchestra.

Buddy's band started things out with a kick-a$$ solo set, followed by the showgirls (I can't remember if Buddy drummed for them or not). Old blue eyes had a touch of the flu, so to ease the load on him Sammy Davis Jr. did a set with the band before Frank came out. (They had his arrangements, so I'm sure this was worked out in advance.) Sammy brought down the house. Seeing him perform must've been like seeing Al Jolson in vaudeville 50 years earlier. Buddy stuck around and drummed for Sammy's and Frank's sets. The whole thing was pretty loose:

Sammy (to Buddy): "Hey, you play pretty good for a white guy."
Buddy: Drops his sticks while convulsing with laughter

Frank took things easy, singing mostly ballads. Buddy played lots of brushes.