Since I switched the drums out . . . New Q for Slingerland know-er-about-ers

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got new cases for my 20/12/14 SSB G's so i had to break them down to indulge my love for new stuff (see thread: https://www.drumforum.org/threads/barton-drum-co-drum-bags.172036/)

Since the Slingerlands are set up again I had to post a pic. Slingerland 22/13/16 might be the Platonic ideal of "the drumset." These are my favorite drums I've ever owned, and the BD is the best I've ever played!

IMG_20200427_134115.jpg

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Awsome drums, what is the snare, 3 ply? 1 ply?
3-ply, but not Slingerland! it's a Ludwig Standard (almost certainly from '68 since it has white interior paint, which I understand only happened on the very early drums. It's been re-wrapped in modern BDP, so it's not quite a perfect match. I think I am going to go ahead and put stick-savers on it at some point, mostly because I prefer them, but also to make it blend more with this kit (it's already a re-wrap with a modern grommet and no attached badge - I have the badge, but it's not on). I also have a 70s COB Sound King, (And a very modified 60s student model).

Drumstickdude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
3-ply, but not Slingerland! it's a Ludwig Standard (almost certainly from '68 since it has white interior paint, which I understand only happened on the very early drums. It's been re-wrapped in modern BDP, so it's not quite a perfect match. I think I am going to go ahead and put stick-savers on it at some point, mostly because I prefer them, but also to make it blend more with this kit (it's already a re-wrap with a modern grommet and no attached badge - I have the badge, but it's not on). I also have a 70s COB Sound King, (And a very modified 60s student model).
Ok cool, and the main thing is you now have a kit which is the main thing, 60s slingerland as well which I bet sound beautifull.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Those are beautiful. Almost 20 years ago I was checking classified ads and picked up a mahogany Slingerland set of that era and sizes for I think it was about $200.00. Everything was excellent including the heads. I wasn't looking for a new set but for the price I decided I could flip them for an extra hundred and still give somebody a great deal. I had them set up for a couple of weeks and they sounded so amazingly good, but I still decided to go through with the flip. Somebody got a great deal, that's for sure. I did get my $100 profit but my brain was AWOL on that one.

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've posted this before, but for the sake of thoroughness, I picked these up last November at the local GC. "Vintage" had rejected them* so they were just "used" at $499 (including a COS festival snare.)
* The reason they were rejected was that the floor tom is a mismatch. Late 50s mahogany interior, no badge/vent (definitely legit though, and intact/working muffler and push-button floor tom legs) the 22/13 are mid 70s maple interior. So the set was listed as "jelly bean" because the floor tom is a hair darker!
By the time I sold the snare drum, and bought a new bass reso and decal, I think my net cost was about $450!

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hey, y'all. That tom positioning is more or less exactly where I want it. Can I get it into that position if I someday decide to throw down the cash for the tom mount (which frankly is unlikely, it's a giant proportion of what I paid for the whole thing to get one)

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
"question reminds me of that Buddy picture he had it at the absolute bottom (24" bass yea

which might be what you'll be looking at -/+
from the looks of it +/-
which is Ok

Kcmcc

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I was thinking of him (and the long arm which is even more expensive I think!)

Reactions: JDA

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Just a quick run thru..

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
The single set-o-matic is the best vintage single tom mount, IMHO. I heard that Buddy special-ordered an extra-long arm from the factory so he could safely crank it all the way over. Mine was off a minty double "super-o-matic" mount that I got off eBay, which also means I now have a spare. The original is chewed up and pitted.

0-9 by Stephen Duffy, on Flickr