Singing bowls, gongs, chimes etc etc

Boydiggity

Reaction score
I've recently found a new obsession in eastern metallic percussion instruments. Many of which have old traditions and meditations associated with them. Though I care very little in actually exploring any meditation practices associated with the actual instruments (I'll clarify that historical tradition does interest me, though not so much the modern "sound healing hippy dippy" stuff often associated with this in the western world today). I've just found myself really captivated by all the different sounds from different singing bowls, gongs, kyeezees etc etc and started picking up some for fun that'll I'll likely find a place for in one of my occasional improv settings. They're fun to play.

Anyone else get into this kind of thing, and what do you like to play around with?

& You Dont Stop

Drumming Since '85
Reaction score
I can't believe I was a drummer for nearly 2 decades before I discovered singing bowls. Truly fascinating instruments. My church now uses one during prayer/meditation

Tuckerboy

Reaction score
I also have never heard of them, pretty cool. You can get a similar sound using friction mallets on gongs, cymbals, drums (mainly coated drum heads), only limited to your imagination using different ball types and textures.

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool thread. I am a traditional player but love percussion instruments from all over (cowbells, tambourines, shakers, etc.) especially since my kids can play with them. A few years back, I came across Zildjian Burma bells. They were funky and brilliant finished like the A Customs, but basically a clean bell that you could tap with the drum stick. I didn't use them on the kit and just messed with them to get lovely clean tones. I ended up selling them as apparently there are rare from the 1970's. I sold them on eBay to a person on the east coast and actually a lady in Russia bought the other one - go figure! There is one on Etsy.com for $160 now and some youtube vids to check out the tone. I sold them for $100 about 1+ year ago. Pretty neat things........

tim

Reaction score
Sabian makes a set of chromatic resonating Bells that Jack D derived from singing bowls. I have a set and use them more than you would think for non traditional percussion music. Check them out

dexplosion

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've got a Sabian 36" Chinese Gong.
It's pretty cool to just chill and play it.
A gong is a very dynamic instrument.

I haven't delved deeply into the whole meditation thing, by I do find it interesting, if only because it's different.

Last edited by a moderator:

hazelshould

Reaction score
I have a few Tibetan singing bowls and I understand the fascination with them. I've also used them on recordings too-ethereal sound.

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A fun and relaxing, maybe even enlightening thing to do is to cause one of these metallic instruments to ring (strike, friction) then listen to the sound fade, put your ear close as it diminishes and follow the sound until it disappears.

Latest posts