Singing Drummer Mic Stand

jmcohen

Reaction score
Has anyone bought a mic stand to use behind the drums recently? There are millions of stands for sale, most of them appearing pretty darn light weight. I would like to buy a stand that has a weighted base, a boom, and then some mechanism for getting the mic in front of my face, either a gooseneck or another articulating arm. The ability to swing it away would also me nice but not a requirement.

Thanks!
Josh

Rockin' Billy

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Keepin’ the beat since 1973 Woodstock, N.Y.
While not light or foldable, I use an Atlas mic stand w/weighted bottom. They also make a heavier weight bottom but mine is fine. Sometimes I run it high w/the arm coming down to me from left side, or in close combat : ) the boom arm coming up to me. I use a boom arm off it. It also will hold my ‘hot-spot’ type monitor and then I run the boom arm off top. I think it was this one.

repete

This one goes to eleven
Reaction score
Because of tight spaces a stand with legs wouldn’t work for me so I use the kind with the heavy round base and added a flexible goose neck. I just push it up out of my way when not singing.

drums1225

Reaction score
I bought a really nice Countryman Isomax headworn cardioid mic at the 2000 NAMM show. It sounds great and was totally liberating, but the bleed from snare and cymbals is significant. Soundmen used to complain to me constantly, and I eventually got tired of hearing it. I reluctantly went back to a stand mounted SM57.

Just over 3 years ago, I was hired by a nationally touring Chicago tribute and have been required to sing on every song. The drumming is busy and all over the place, and being tethered to a stand mounted SM57 was a pain in the ass. I considered going back to the headset, but at one of our gigs (at the Golden Nugget in Atlantic City) back in 2018, the tech had set up a Shure Beta 56a as my vocal mic. I had never seen one used as a vocal mic (toms and snare, sure), and the tech said, "Oh yeah, drummers love these". Man, was he was right! I loved it and immediately bought one, which I use exclusively now.

The 56 has changed my life as a singing drummer. It's tiny and routes the cable at a right angle from the capsule, along the mic stand. With a typical SM57 or 58, the mic itself is 6 1/2" long, and then the XLR connector and the cable is another 3" or 4". Even if you use a right angle connector to knock off a couple of inches, it's still an impediment, and many times I've hit the mic or the cable with a stick, dropping a few sticks along the way. I was always very conscious of it being in the way. To deal with this, I would end up keeping it angled off to my left side, and having to turn my head to sing. The 56 allows me to put the mic right in front of my face, and nothing sticks out or gets in the way. I've never hit it once, and it seamlessly integrates into my setup. From a drumming standpoint, I'm not even aware that it's there. It's the next best thing to a headset mic. I highly recommend it.

Hope this helps,
Chris

1611847334092.png

Last edited:

jmcohen

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I am fairly new to singing, so I require in-ears to be able to hear my nasally voice. I don’t want to add a headset, too. I like the idea of simply adding ankle weights to the base to keep it from tipping and spearing me.

EyeByTwoMuchGeer

Reaction score
I used an older model Tama Ironworks mic stand for years with absolutely zero issues. For some reason, Tama mic stands fly under the radar. They have even more flavors these days, and they are just as sturdy, if not more so. On the surface, they may look like all the other stands, but I can assure you, they are rock solid and can easily take a few hundred shows/load ins/load outs without any worries.

I also had a DW mic stand setup like the one in the Stanton Moore video. It was waaay to heavy duty for my needs on stage, but it was bulletproof in the studio.

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just use any old stand for my 57.
Didn't know there was still a version of the 56! Had an old SM56 that was lovely, are these similar? Worth looking into for the form factor at least, thanks

drums1225

Reaction score
I just use any old stand for my 57.
Didn't know there was still a version of the 56! Had an old SM56 that was lovely, are these similar? Worth looking into for the form factor at least, thanks
I never used an old SM56, but the Beta 56a is a dynamic mic with integrated "clip" (the mic itself is threaded for the stand). The form factor is ideal for singing drummers, and it's at least in the ballpark of a 57 or 58, sound quality-wise. Any perceived sound quality issues (real or imagined) are eclipsed by the convenience.

John DeChristopher

Very well Known Member
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 56 has changed my life as a singing drummer. It's tiny and routes the cable at a right angle from the capsule, along the mic stand. With a typical SM57 or 58, the mic itself is 6 1/2" long, and then the XLR connector and the cable is another 3" or 4". Even if you use a right angle connector to knock off a couple of inches, it's still an impediment, and many times I've hit the mic or the cable with a stick, dropping a few sticks along the way. I was always very conscious of it being in the way. To deal with this, I would end up keeping it angled off to my left side, and having to turn my head to sing. The 56 allows me to put the mic right in front of my face, and nothing sticks out or gets in the way. I've never hit it once, and it seamlessly integrates into my setup. From a drumming standpoint, I'm not even aware that it's there. It's the next best thing to a headset mic. I highly recommend it.

View attachment 482164
This is very interesting... Is there a difference in sound between an SM56 and SM58?

Rock Salad

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I never used an old SM56, but the Beta 56a is a dynamic mic with integrated "clip" (the mic itself is threaded for the stand). The form factor is ideal for singing drummers, and it's at least in the ballpark of a 57 or 58, sound quality-wise. Any perceived sound quality issues (real or imagined) are eclipsed by the convenience.
Now that you mention it, my 57 is definitely of tune sometimes. hehe

Pat A Flafla

Reaction score
I use a cheap stand with a flexible gooseneck and a beta56a with an inline mic switch. The key to the whole enterprise is that I slipped a brake drum around the primary shaft of the stand. That way I have the weight of a weighted stand with the extra base width and grip of a tripod.

Reactions: A J

jmcohen

Reaction score
All of this info is great. Didn’t know drum manufacturers made any mic equipment. I now have some excellent options. Thank you everyone.

TheBeachBoy

Ringo Fire
Reaction score
I just use a DR-Pro boom with the folding legs. I position it to my left side so it's out of my way when playing but still easy to get to when I need to sing. For me it's a bigger hassle moving a gooseneck or other mount in and out of position, but it'll take experimenting to see which you prefer. The mic stand is sturdy enough to hold my Mackie ProFX12 with a mic boom mount attached.

Way Out Wardell

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't use anything wildly different from other people here - weighted stand with a flexible gooseneck and a Beta 58A.

Reactions: A J