Singing Lessons - Worth it?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
This is to the singing drummers out there in DFO land. Did you just sing and hope to get better or did you take lessons to learn how to sing. More importantly, were they worth the cost? Since we lost our singer/rythmn guitar player we decided to continue as a power trio, with me and the lead guitar player sharing singing duties. I think I have the ability to sing well, my bandmates seem to think so too, but I feel like I might need/benifit from some coaching/teaching.

Stickclick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I never had a vocal teacher but I had instruction from other working, gigging singers. Also I went to my local library and found instruction books and CDs about singing. Some of these books and CDs are written by music school faculty members.

In my opinion what really helped me was buying a PA system and practicing singing with the PA. A vocal teacher helps, but you also need a PA, books, CDs, and keyboard.

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Maybe. I never had a vocal teacher but I had instruction from other working, gigging singers. Also I went to my local library and found instruction books and CDs about singing. Some of these books and CDs are written by music school faculty members.

In my opinion what really helped me was buying a PA system and practicing singing with the PA. A vocal teacher helps, but you also need a PA, books, CDs, and keyboard.
I have the PA and a lap top and very private space. Have you tired any of those Karaoke apps that are out there?

Johnny K

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Record yourself , songs I thought I could pull off were quickly dropped once I heard the tape . OMG people actually heard that !!!
I just listened to some of last nights BP. I record all the BP's. Boom Boom Boom is a keeper but Shaky Ground maybe not survive the cut regardless of how much fun it is to play.

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I don't have a lead singer's voice. I just don't. It's a shame, because I have a decent range and good control of my falsetto. Everything I have done was self-taught. I can tell you that developing an ear is paramount, and that the piano playing I have done enables me to hear "into" harmony parts. It's something you simply do until you get better. No shortcuts.

Dan

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't have a lead singer's voice. I just don't. It's a shame, because I have a decent range and good control of my falsetto. Everything I have done was self-taught. I can tell you that developing an ear is paramount, and that the piano playing I have done enables me to hear "into" harmony parts. It's something you simply do until you get better. No shortcuts.
I can’t get falsetto . That right there takes me out of ever singing leads like I’d want .

Dan

BennyK

DFO Star
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
The closer I'm connected to the melody, the more accurate my perception of form is going to be , the less I'll have to compartmentalize my performance articulation ( on drums ), so singing lessons and/or participating in a choral project will have great benefits .

Becoming a beginner again can be a very liberating journey of discovery .

Last edited:

jsp210

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I work on a college campus and had the opportunity to invest in some vocal lessons with a graduate student from the music school and it was money and time well spent to help further my musicianship in my opinion. At that point I had the ability to sing in tune in only a few keys within a very small range. I did know when I was off though!

I did it consistently every week for a few months and recorded every lesson and would practice throughout the week while listening to the lesson driving in my car. Learning the optimal body and breath mechanics for singing made a huge difference in generating quality vocal tone. I was able to improve my range quite a bit in a short period of time but I don't have the confidence to sing lead on anything in front of an audience yet but at least I have a path forward towards that goal.

Old Dog

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A vocal teacher's knowledge base (if they're truly qualified), would be very useful.