Single Flange Hoops

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a 12-lug snare project and I'm starting to think that instead of finding 12-hole hoops I'll go the single-flange and clips route.
I'm not sure sure what to look for. Brass hoops are super expensive, but I think that's what I want.
They come in different thicknesses and designs and I'm wondering any of you have any experience with them and what I should maybe look for? I've also noticed that there are different types of clips but I couldn't find anywhere online that really shines any light on the differences, be it sound or otherwise, between the different types.

Thanks!

esooy

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yeah the brass are pricey. Otherwise Gibraltar makes steel ones. The Gibraltar clips look beefier than the traditional style, but the traditional style are more, well, traditional! I doubt you'd hear a difference between the two.

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Angel hoops can make you a set of 12-hole, and they are awesome. Spendy though.

If there’s a lower cost alternative with similar sound and form (probably with clips) then I’d be very interested too.

ludwigfire

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer the look and feel of single flange style rims on snares but I don't have the best ear out there. With that said, I have both brass and steel single flange hoops on some of my snares and the most noticeable difference, to me, is the brass hoops provide a better, more solid sounding side stick and are a bit more open overall. If you don't mind a real open snare sound, the brass are the way to go.

I usually prefer drier sounds for most of my gigs and I recently have been using a no flange hoops from drum factory direct along with mini claws. The hoops are thick and don't flinch under heavy rim shots all night. I have them on a Ludwig Coliseum as well as a 8x14 hammered bronze and both drums sound fantastic, are surprisingly versatile, and look really cool. With a 12 lug drum, there are enough lugs/clips that even tuning becomes somewhat important or else tension rods tend to back out easily.

What size and type of shell are you going with?

20190726_185536.jpg20190815_210552.jpg

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I prefer the look and feel of single flange style rims on snares but I don't have the best ear out there. With that said, I have both brass and steel single flange hoops on some of my snares and the most noticeable difference, to me, is the brass hoops provide a better, more solid sounding side stick and are a bit more open overall. If you don't mind a real open snare sound, the brass are the way to go.

I usually prefer drier sounds for most of my gigs and I recently have been using a no flange hoops from drum factory direct along with mini claws. The hoops are thick and don't flinch under heavy rim shots all night. I have them on a Ludwig Coliseum as well as a 8x14 hammered bronze and both drums sound fantastic, are surprisingly versatile, and look really cool. With a 12 lug drum, there are enough lugs/clips that even tuning becomes somewhat important or else tension rods tend to back out easily.

What size and type of shell are you going with?

View attachment 412223View attachment 412224
I bought one of those NOS Slingerland shells. Brass, 8x14 drilled for 12 lugs, which is kind of a bummer, but I'm willing to give it a go. It has beds and no holes drilled for a strainer, which is a bonus as I can go any direction.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm curious about the differences between no flange, single flange and double flange and anyone's experiences with them.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Drum factory direct had single flange hoops on sale a while back for $5 a set. They have some issue with fitting one brand of heads ( hence the ultra low price) but otherwise look good. Might be a cheap way to experiment a bit, although 24 hooks will add up pretty quick. On the hooks there seem to be two types, one type appears to be cast and the other formed out of pressed steel. DFD offers them as well, at least the cast variety.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drum factory direct had single flange hoops on sale a while back for $5 a set. They have some issue with fitting one brand of heads ( hence the ultra low price) but otherwise look good. Might be a cheap way to experiment a bit, although 24 hooks will add up pretty quick. On the hooks there seem to be two types, one type appears to be cast and the other formed out of pressed steel. DFD offers them as well, at least the cast variety.

But doesn't that mean that they wouldn't fit my snare shell?

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
But doesn't that mean that they wouldn't fit my snare shell?
very true
Not sure, I tacked a set onto one of my orders a month or so ago. They look fine but I have yet to try them out. They reworded the description since the time I ordered my set. When I ordered mine they just said they might not work with certain heads. Five bucks though...not a great risk.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
very true
Not sure, I tacked a set onto one of my orders a month or so ago. They look fine but I have yet to try them out. They reworded the description since the time I ordered my set. When I ordered mine they just said they might not work with certain heads. Five bucks though...not a great risk.
Cool. Let me know once you try em, id love to get a pair if they fit!

noreastbob

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd definitely go single flanged on your project. Both for convenience and sound. I played an A&F brass with single flanged hoops and it was amazing. I'm not sure how much the hoops had to do with it but they sure didn't hurt.

Fat Drummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The only drum I have ever used them on is my first gen Pearl Brass Sensitone Classic. I recently tried standard 2.3 flange hoops on this one and it was not nearly as full bodied or enjoyable to play. I would heighly recommend the single flage and clips for a 12 lug drum project. Let us know what you go with and keep those pics commng!

20190518_210836 copy.jpg

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool. Let me know once you try em, id love to get a pair if they fit!
Sorry I didn't get around to this a bit sooner, kind of slipped my mind.
I dug the hoops out of my stash and unwrapped the batter side one from the shipping plastic. I tried it on two drums. One was a Ludwig snare with what I think is a Ludwig head (logo is gone but it has the Ludwig style hoop). The other was a vintage Slingerland 14" floor tom with a Remo Fiberskyn head. These were just the handiest two 14" drums to try. In both cases the hoop appeared to fit fine, both to the drum and the flesh hoop of the head. If I didn't know the circumstances about these I'd just assume they were just regular single flange hoops based on these two trial fits (I do not have any hooks handy so I did not actually tension them down, but I don't see any indication that I couldn't if I had the proper parts). I'm sure there must be some heads or drums that these will not fit or DFD would not be selling them the way they are but they seemed okay to me and if they are still available the next time I need to order something from DFD I'll likely snag another set at the no-brainer $5 price (although this thread will probably guarantee that they are sold out by then).

20191115_210414.jpg

Trilock_Gurtu

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, I had Ronn Dunnett build me a kit many years ago (20?, maybe longer), and he insisted on single flange hoops for it. Glad he did. They're heavy, but look and sound great, imo.

D. B. Cooper

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Yup, I had Ronn Dunnett build me a kit many years ago (20?, maybe longer), and he insisted on single flange hoops for it. Glad he did. They're heavy, but look and sound great, imo.
Why do you think he insisted on them? What are the pros/cons?

Latest posts