header.nohb.html

Single ply on batter and double ply on reso?

zulusound

Reaction score
Hey fellow drum geeks. I just picked up a cool GMS kit from the 90's. It needs new heads and I want a good studio low tuned rock sound.

I tend to NOT like double ply batter heads as they lack tone and you need to hit them harder to get good tone. BUT, in my opinion, toms that ring forever are NOT what is ideal, esp. when under microphones.

Does anyone here like to use double ply as the reso head and single ply as batter? I've actually never heard of anyone doing this but I might have to give it a stab. Less ring and sustain but good response. I've tried using cotton balls inside toms, and that's OK, looks a little janky, but something tells me double ply on reso in the studio might be the ticket. I'm thinking black dots on top and emperors on the bottom.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've heard less mass is the key to shorter sustain, not more. So something like an Evans Reso 7 would likely get you closer to what you are looking for.

If you want to reduce sustain and control overtones as well, you could but a set of Drum Tacks and stick those on the reso heads. Much easier to add/remove than the cotton balls and you can "tune" the sound with them. Plus you dont have to buy a whole new set of heads that may not get you the sound you want.

LauraCai

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have used thinner double ply batter & reso, with great results, but never single ply top & double ply bottom.

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve done double over double on floor toms to shorten things up. Dots work great as reso to keep the sound tight too. You might want to try that instead so if you don’t like it you can use the dot as a batter

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Recently played a kit for a benefit. Decent kit but sounded awful. Had hydraulics with dead rings and moongels. Sounded like cardboard boxes. Personally I hate hydraulics. I like my drums to sound like drums. I stay with the tried and true. Coated emps or coated vintage emps tops and ams on bottom. Ps3 on kick and whatever head come on the front. All internally miced

Pat A Flafla

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I like 2 ply on tops and bottoms on acrylic only (so far).

zulusound

Reaction score
Haha. The responses I sort of figured I’d get. But I’m into blasphemy so I might have to try it. It’s a studio kit- toms that ring forever usually get in the way. Overhang can suck and need *gasp* gating. Which is what I’m trying to avoid. I also have a couple of wide open Rogers kits from the 60s with no dampening on toms or pillows in the bass drums. I like the idea of black dots as resos. Then no wasted money if they don’t fly.

Seb77

DFO Master
Reaction score
If you want good response at lower volume, I would stick with regular thickness resos (or thinner). In order to reduce decay time without affecting the batter head, I would then add non-vibrating mass to the reso head, bass drum felt comes to mind. If looks matter with the rack tom, put it on the inside. An external muffler on the reso would work very effectively and look ok.

Edit: or just do the opposite of what is recommended in threads about increasing reonance: no rubber feet on ft, clamping the rack tom into a snare stand, rigid tom mount on the bass dum etc. Or choke the dum by tuning higher.

Last edited:

jb78

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
My two cents: If you like the feel and sound of a single ply setup but want less resonance, just use single plies (top and bottom), tune for a sound and feel you dig, and then muffle to your liking.