header.nohb.html

Single ply on batter and double ply on reso?

Reaction score
Hey fellow drum geeks. I just picked up a cool GMS kit from the 90's. It needs new heads and I want a good studio low tuned rock sound.

I tend to NOT like double ply batter heads as they lack tone and you need to hit them harder to get good tone. BUT, in my opinion, toms that ring forever are NOT what is ideal, esp. when under microphones.

Does anyone here like to use double ply as the reso head and single ply as batter? I've actually never heard of anyone doing this but I might have to give it a stab. Less ring and sustain but good response. I've tried using cotton balls inside toms, and that's OK, looks a little janky, but something tells me double ply on reso in the studio might be the ticket. I'm thinking black dots on top and emperors on the bottom.
I did the Black Dot over Emperor on a Classic Maple 18, had great quick feel and a good low short sustain. I used it for a hard punk/thrash band so i was really laying in to it. Next to my Luddy oak 16 though it pitched too close. Wish i had heard it mic’d to really get the sound.

dsop

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have heard of Hydraulics as reso heads, but very much for a super-dead tone.
Neil Peart used blue hydraulics (back when they used those flexible collars) and double ply Looking Glass on top on his Slingerland kit.

Matched Gripper

DFO Master
Reaction score
Hey fellow drum geeks. I just picked up a cool GMS kit from the 90's. It needs new heads and I want a good studio low tuned rock sound.

I tend to NOT like double ply batter heads as they lack tone and you need to hit them harder to get good tone. BUT, in my opinion, toms that ring forever are NOT what is ideal, esp. when under microphones.

Does anyone here like to use double ply as the reso head and single ply as batter? I've actually never heard of anyone doing this but I might have to give it a stab. Less ring and sustain but good response. I've tried using cotton balls inside toms, and that's OK, looks a little janky, but something tells me double ply on reso in the studio might be the ticket. I'm thinking black dots on top and emperors on the bottom.
Pretty sure this is against the laws of nature! Might even be a 3rd degree misdemeanor in some jurisdictions.

DBT

Reaction score

Attachments

• 4212A869-AB11-454D-A632-B640EDB6AB5E.jpeg
    4212A869-AB11-454D-A632-B640EDB6AB5E.jpeg
    69.1 KB · Views: 19

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have a set of black dots as resos on one of my kits. I don't think they really cut any sustain but I think they have cut some if the overtones.

zulusound

Reaction score
I have a set of black dots as resos on one of my kits. I don't think they really cut any sustain but I think they have cut some if the overtones.
interesting distinction. thank you.

JimmyM

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Good distinction to be made. I have a cheap Ddrum set that has EC2/Pinstripes on the toms, and they still sustain quite well. A little bit reduced overtones but nothing earthshaking imho. They sound good, though, and I don’t want to spend money on them, so I leave them.

But yeah, that’s an important distinction.

Markkuliini

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've heard less mass is the key to shorter sustain, not more. So something like an Evans Reso 7 would likely get you closer to what you are looking for.

If you want to reduce sustain and control overtones as well, you could but a set of Drum Tacks and stick those on the reso heads. Much easier to add/remove than the cotton balls and you can "tune" the sound with them. Plus you dont have to buy a whole new set of heads that may not get you the sound you want.

On the other hand, while double ply heads do have more mass, they don't resonate longer because the structure itself has bit of a dampening effect. The plies rub against each others and it kills the sustain bit faster compared to the single ply heads.

mebeatee

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Ya never know until you try....and I tried just because it was there ;)
I took a clear ambo I had on a 16” floor tom reso side off to use on another drum and all I had immediately was a 16” pinstripe that was originally tried and I didn’t like....so....into the emergency spare head pile...
Anyway I put the pinhead (a quasi double ply) on the bottom while leaving the coated ambo on top and it was so ok it’s resided there ever since as that particular tom doesn’t get used too often, but more like it’s not “too broke to fix”...lol.
Not a combo I would purposely use but worked in a pinch.
Go for it.....hopefully something kewl will happen and you may set a new standard for head combos for “that” drum sound!!!!!
bt

cplueard

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd recommend looking at Aquarian Focus-X or Evans EC Resonant. I feel like they keep the lows and shorten a little sustain and extra overtones.

The Ruckus

Reaction score
I've heard less mass is the key to shorter sustain, not more. So something like an Evans Reso 7 would likely get you closer to what you are looking for.

If you want to reduce sustain and control overtones as well, you could but a set of Drum Tacks and stick those on the reso heads. Much easier to add/remove than the cotton balls and you can "tune" the sound with them. Plus you dont have to buy a whole new set of heads that may not get you the sound you want.
I have also heard this and have found it to be true at least for kicks. Double ply will sustain longer

Maybe you can just tune a bit different and/or muffle them toms.