Single standard sized vent hole or small symmetrical venting at bottom?

WhoDemIz?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I've seen some discussions about vent holes on here, but not really one in depth about symmetrical venting! Noble and cooley for example makes small vent holes, one close to the bottom of each second lug, this system intrigues me because i like the thought of the air symmetrically leaving the drum at the bottom.

Now my question to all of you is, do you think a bell bronze snare with 3-5 symmetrically placed 3 mm diameter vents at the bottom of the shell would sound any brighter or more airy than one with a single 7-8 mm sized vent placed in the middle of the shell? Because i really don't want that to happen, i want to get the most body and darkest sound out of the drum!

Cheers!

Sebastian

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I don't think it would change the sound in any way that's discernible to human ears. No way at all. Also, pressure is not being applied to the drum head at any constant rate, therefore air would not escape the drum symmetrically and would not encourage a change in sound.

Ptrick

Reaction score
In my experience, more holes equals less airy, less body, and more attack.

TheElectricCompany

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In my experience, more holes equals less airy, less body, and more attack.
Holes that small aren't going to change the sound, though. Same with comparing these holes to a standard vent. It's not like OCDP vents.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Have you ever messed with a Dunnett snare with a hypervent that you can open or close? There is definitely a difference to my ear.

SteveB

DFO Master
Reaction score
You will eventually dry the drum out (shorten the tone) as you remove shell area. This is a lot more obvious with one of those old Ludwig drums with the center band missing....the Colosseum I believe. Personally I'd leave it alone or have a drum made up to your specs. Maybe if you have a drum kicking around that's not a keeper, you could experiment on that instead first.

WhoDemIz?

Reaction score
You will eventually dry the drum out (shorten the tone) as you remove shell area. This is a lot more obvious with one of those old Ludwig drums with the center band missing....the Colosseum I believe. Personally I'd leave it alone or have a drum made up to your specs. Maybe if you have a drum kicking around that's not a keeper, you could experiment on that instead first.
I wasn't planing on drilling any holes in a bell bronze drum myself, I want to have one made and the only spec that I am not yet sure of is the count and placement of the vent(s) and I'm pretty neurotic about this because i can't seem to handle the thought of only having one single vent haha, but only in terms of placement and count, not surface area. Would you say four symmetrically placed around the shell vents with 2 mm diameter would have pretty much the same sound like a single 8 mm vent?
yeah i already had a drill on an old crap snare a friend of mine who doesn't even play drums has laying around in my house since 3 years but in the last moment i decided not to do it haha

Edit: just had the idea to actually use a mathematic formula for the first time since high school so let me rephrase my question. the surface area of an 8 mm is about 50, so if i want 5 vents with the surface area of a 8 mm hole I'll divide the area by five, a surface area of 10 requires a radius of about 1,79 mm which makes a diameter of about 3,58 mm, so do you think a snare with 5 x 3,6 mm diameter vents or even 10 x 2,6 mm would sound the same like a snare with one 8 mm hole? Please tell me if this makes any sense, mathematics is not my strongest subject haha

Last edited: