Six beautiful Rogers snares for your perusal.

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I do have a lot of drums - of that there's no doubt. When I look at some of my favorite snares, many of them are Rogers. Sure, I like all my drums for different reasons, but these vintage Rogers snares seem to really trip my trigger.

In order of the photos, I have:
1) "Holiday" Cleveland in original Mardi Gras wrap. Only the batter head is not original.
2) "Holiday" Cleveland in original Blue Glitter wrap. Only the heads are not original.
3) "Powertone" Dayton. Heads and snare are not original.
4) "Dynasonic" Dayton. Only the heads are not original.
5) "Super Ten" Fullerton. Everything is original.
6) "Dynasonic" Fullerton. Only the heads are not original.

I hope you enjoy seeing them as much as I've enjoyed acquiring, detailing and playing them. Cheers!

Attachments

mlayton

Night Creature
Reaction score
stunning! I really love the mardi gras.

mike

happyshump

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'm no expert, but the hoops on the blue glitter one don't look Rogers to me?

eddiej

DFO Master
Reaction score
My 'Big R' looks just like yours except it has a serial number. When did Rogers stop putting S/Ns on their drums?

lazer

DFO Master
Reaction score
very nice!!

i agree,should be tallboy hoops on the clevelands,
the big r badge should be serial i think,otherwise island music?

the mardi gras is my fave

Too Many Drums - NAH!

Reaction score
happyshump, DanC and lazer,

I appreciate your comments concerning my Blue Glitter snare's hoops. Since I'm really no expert and these hoops were on the drum when I bought it, they've remained. I play all my drums and must say that this drum sounds especially good. However, I'd like the drum to eventually have the right hoops, so I'll be on the look-out for a nice set. Anybody have them?

Eddiej,

This Dynasonic was part of an all original, one owner XP-8 kit in Tobacco Sunburst that I purchased about two years ago. The bass and two rack toms have serial numbers but the floor tom and snare do not. The bass drum also has key tension rods rather than the more conventional "T" rods. From the serial numbers, the set was made in 1980 and 1981. The original owner says he bought them while still in high school, which was during that time period. As I said earlier, I'm no expert, but I do like these drums. This particular Dyna was my first and I still can't believe how articulate these drums are. I'd have to say that the Rogers Dynasonic is my favorite snare to play. Simply fantastic.

I've spoken to a couple of very knowledgeable Rogers guys and it seems that maybe this particular kit was possibly a transitional kit. Maybe a few of the knowledgeable Rogers guys who frequent the forum can provide a more intelligent response than the one I did.

lazer,

I did not reinforce any of my drums' B&B lugs. When I dis-assembled them for a detailing, I noticed that none were cracked more seriously than a hairline fracture, and that was only a few. None were pitted much at all, either.

Out of curiosity, how can this be done?

To everyone who's taken the time to look at my Rogers snares and those that have commented positively, thank you. I'm glad you guys enjoy seeing these drums as much as I've enjoyed acquiring, detailing, photographing and most of all, playing them. Vintage drums truly have a "mojo" that's hard to describe.

Cheers!

rhythmace

Rhythmace
Reaction score
I may be alone here, but I would look for the regular Rogers rims. The tall rims change the angle for rim shots. They were for calf skin heads, that stretched more. A serial number doesn't make a Big R drum USA. USA on the label does though. Nice snares. Ace

ThePloughman

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Nice drums.

I love Rogers.

Timeline on the big r is correct.

BrianOwens

Drumsforever
Reaction score
Vintage USA Rogers drums shells were known for their strength. As seen in early advertisements from the 50's of several men all standing on one Rogers drum shell.