SJC Custom Drums -- World's Fastest-Growing Drum Company?

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
By that logic, every well known drum company today is present here on the forum and ingratiating themselves. ??
True. Only a former rep of Yamaha and a former rep of Ludwig come to mind, along with a lesser known drum company (Oriollo) and maybe a few other small companies. That tells me it's not generally the policy of large drum companies to be present and engaged on drum forums. They're busy running a business.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, I am one of these fabled "rock and punk drummers" that you all seem to understand so well. I have tattoos and sometimes my pants dip below my arse. I'm not in my 20's, but when I was I was not interested in SJC, and that hasn't changed. I have nothing against them, but I will tell you SJC would not get my money. Their sizes are stuck in 1997 with everything at least half a mile deep. Their wraps/finishes look horrible and I see a lot of their drums with stripes going through the middle of the shell, which is pretty much a sin. Sorry to all of you mid 40's and 50's guys with racing inspired drum sets that are on display in your basements. I also see a lot of their drums with a cheap, faux metal wrap putting it in the "I just can't..." camp.
I'd be a little insulted by the comments looking down upon rock and punk drummers, too. In fact, I'm definitely a rock drummer among other genres and don't have a lot of patience with the grumpy old farts who arrogantly frame their view as the only one that counts. I'm going on 50 so I'm right at the borderland, watching the elders go one way and the younger generations shape their own future. I don't ask elders to apologize for their view but I don't make a point of dissing other drummers who don't match my preferences.

It was about 70 years ago when a lot of these old timers first played "rock n roll" records because it excited them and annoyed their parents. Many of those kids took up guitar and even drums. The only thing that changed is that a lot of them became their parents.

Last edited:

Nubs

Reaction score
Do any of you actual make drum purchases because company reps or owners participate on this site? This is not a factor for me. It's not even on the alternate factors list of factors to not be considered. It's that unimportant
While I will agree with you in some respects, I always try to support the "local, little guy" whenever possible. If a manu were to start posting and interacting with people here, it would score a lot of points with me and might just compel me to take a closer look at them.

Ox Han

Reaction score
While I will agree with you in some respects, I always try to support the "local, little guy" whenever possible. If a manu were to start posting and interacting with people here, it would score a lot of points with me and might just compel me to take a closer look at them.
Define “local, little guy.”

But more importantly, if I understand you correctly, for you drums don’t need to sound good, nor look good, nor be reasonably priced? Someone just needs to create a few threads on here and they’ve got you interested in whatever they have to offer?

Well, at least you won’t be duped into considering other aspects like labor ethics and sustainability.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I am sure that if I was younger I would have one of their sets. I liked loud and outrageous sets when I was young, that's why I had Ludwig Stainless Steel and Vistalite sets. I even had a set of North drums at one time.

Those were the SJC of my time.

Houndog

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Drumforum.org is but a very very very small slice of purchasing drums .
Reminds me of the recent thread of the guy claiming we were losing thousands of possible members here by being rude about valuation seekers ...

tempobob

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
True. Only a former rep of Yamaha and a former rep of Ludwig come to mind, along with a lesser known drum company (Oriollo) and maybe a few other small companies. That tells me it's not generally the policy of large drum companies to be present and engaged on drum forums. They're busy running a business.
Actually, a pretty well known drum maker and company owner actually participated in this thread.

Cauldronics

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Actually, a pretty well known drum maker and company owner actually participated in this thread.
They were all being compared to Ludwig and Yamaha in the post of mine you're quoting. In terms of being well-known. no drum company that posted any replies comes close.

dale w miller

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I think it’s due to their reputation of making what I call “cartoon” drum kits that have next to no resale value. Who the hell wants to spend a lot of money something like this except the original owner or clown in a circus?

748ED1C8-A1C5-4EBB-9C34-8009C0C1D5F4.jpeg

CigarScott

Reaction score
I think it’s due to their reputation of making what I call “cartoon” drum kits that have next to no resale value. Who the hell wants to spend a lot of money something like this except the original owner or clown in a circus?

View attachment 475881
It's awesome that they have the imagination and capabilities to build something like that but I agree it'd be next to impossible to resell that kit without the owner taking a bath.

CigarScott

Reaction score
The more I think about it, I think most people have connotations of drum companies, whether fair or not, affect their purchasing habits. I think people like or would consider buying kits from manufacturers that were big when they were kids first getting into drums and fantasizing about getting their dream drum set when they got older and could afford it.

Yes, like a lot of guys on here, wouldn't have considered getting a SJC, Crush, or any of the other "millenial" brands. I did have an OCDP snare but they're been around longer and I got a stupid deal on it.

On the flip side, I would had never considered getting a Ludwig, Gretsch, or Slingerland kit since I associate those with 60's and 70's music and hence, a brand my dad would play if he still played drums even though they all make, particularly Ludwig and Gretsch, fantastic drums.

For me, growing up in the 80's and 90's, I dreamed of having a Pearl, DW, Tama, or GMS kit. Never got into Yamaha, for some reason. I got a Pearl Export when I was 13, probably like a lot you all on here, and played that for well over 20 years when I was granted an opportunity to build a custom kit with Pearl, which I took advantage of.

Perhaps players under 30 have the same biases that we all have and see Pearl, DW, Tama, and so on as their "dad's drums" and want something different...

Ox Han

Reaction score

View attachment 475881
This is much more interesting than what I see on sweetwater. It’s not something I’d buy per se. The hoops are different, but not really up my alley and the drums seem pretty deep in this pic.

I’m actually a sucker for sea foam.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My brother-in-law got one of their maple kits last year. Beautiful, wrapped kit. I didn't tear it down to inspect the shell interiors and edges, but on the exterior, the kit seemed very well built with a nice attention to detail. So from what I saw, quality was solid. The kick drum has great attack and boom. The 16" FT is a growler. The rest of the lit was fine, but didn't make much of an impression on me. To be fair, I haven't spent much time with it and a drum key. It has coated heads and is maple, neither of which are my preference, so it's hard for me to offer a fair opinion on my take on their sound.

For me it really come down to personal opinion. While I think they make a solid product, I've never hit anything from them that made me take a step back with that WOW factor. I can say that for a lot of the big manufacturers too, especially DW. No matter who the manufacturer is, if they're using materials and specs I like, I'm always willing to give them a shot.

SpinaDude

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately, part of running a niche business today involves heavy reliance on social media. I consider this social media. While this forum may not be their audience, they should be on one where they can communicate with their crowd...

I'm gonna retract that last part. They're all over Instagram, and I would bet Snapchat and TikTok too. That's where their crowd is. Not here. It hadn't occurred to me until just now, but I think the reason their crowd isn't on here is because forums are old school. They're getting it done on something newer and hipper. LOL

JimmySticks

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Define “local, little guy.”

But more importantly, if I understand you correctly, for you drums don’t need to sound good, nor look good, nor be reasonably priced? Someone just needs to create a few threads on here and they’ve got you interested in whatever they have to offer?

Well, at least you won’t be duped into considering other aspects like labor ethics and sustainability.
Why are you taking such an extreme outlook? He said “it might compel him to take a look” if a company posted here.

Are you saying that that would have zero bearing on you in all cases? That that could never be the thing that pushes you to buy a product? I know I can be swayed by the personal touch one gets from posting here if the guys products are pushing all the right buttons. I think we all can be honestly.

Ox Han

Reaction score
Why are you taking such an extreme outlook? He said “it might compel him to take a look” if a company posted here.

Are you saying that that would have zero bearing on you in all cases?
Correct. Presence on this forum or any other has zero bearing on my purchasing decisions. Why is that extreme?