SJC rehearsal kit

bassanddrum84

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The new Josh Dun (21 Pilots) signature SJC drum kit seems like a real deal at $2,299.99! Beautiful, right?
What’s funny about that kit is sjc posted a video of how they had to make him not one but two kits in 2 weeks yet takes 8months for them to do a simple kit for anyone else.

studrum

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The new Josh Dun (21 Pilots) signature SJC drum kit seems like a real deal at $2,299.99! Beautiful, right?

I think these look horrible (as you know most of here would), but I've seen a bunch of SJC kits that looked pretty fine, and their fit and finish appeared to be quite good. I saw them and read about them in Modern Drummer reviews in the mag a few years ago and in a bunch of ads. Didn't they have an in at Guitar Center for a while? I might be mistaken.

I thought they had lacquer finish drums that looked great. In any case, these look pretty damn good, and at a decent price:

UptownShakedown

Reaction score
I’m just not hearing anything special from these kits. They sound like pretty straight down the middle maple drums if not a little boring. Shells and configurations are just kinda vanilla to me.

CC Cirillo

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Some of their custom finishes are delightfully unique and others make me want to look away.

Left to their own decisions on dimensions they seem to favor 18” deep basses which is not my thing.

35B83D7E-4C00-4672-B95B-AEDA100053C3.png

Although this might work for me:

CA0D4C76-51FB-408E-B6D9-BABCC4EC5750.png

Buffalo_drummer

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
In another thread on SJC drums, Chunkaway summed it up pretty well: "People on this forum are, generally speaking, about 40 years older than the SJC demographic, which is why they are seldom mentioned on this forum.

Prepare to hear a litany of disparaging comments about the drums and the brand, even though most of the people have never heard the drums in person."

I also think they really catered to the Warped Tour crowd for so long they pigeon-holed themselves. They were on a reality show called The Profit, and the investor told them they needed to expand their clientele base and offer more than custom drum sets, which they did. They were close to going out of business.

yetanotherdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score

Actually when I was younger I would have purchased something like that. I always liked unique finishes on drums. That is no more gaudy than the tequila sunrise vistalites that I had.

Shawn Martin

Reaction score
I’ve known a few drummers that are much younger than me that were (Gen X & Y) in bar bands that got “endorsements” from SJC. I had seen the drums occasionally online but knew nothing about them. I saw a video about them that made me respect their drive, and the drums do look very nice. However, aside from the couple cheaper sets they have, I think they’re priced far too high.

They very well may be worth every penny, but with so many well known established brands out there that are in that high-end range (Sonor, DW…), I just can’t see paying that much for them. They’ve obviously created a business model that is directed to a certain demographic, which is fine. In the long run, I think that model isn’t successful. Think Orange County….