Skb 22” - with wheels or not

Ced

Reaction score
Hi everyone!

I have kind of a nerdy minor question... I hope I am in the right place in the forum.

I already have a 24” skb cymbal with wheels, it’s quite big and heavy but really nice case, and I decided to keep it.

I am now looking for a 22” version of it and I am not sure if I want it with wheels ( 12.70lbs so a little bulkier) or without wheels ( a little lighter at 9bls something, and probably a little less bulkier).

Since I already have the 24 version on wheels, I was thinking of going without wheels, also because i am loading the gear on a rock n roller cart...

Anyone had a 22” and wished it had wheels? Or vice verse?

I know.... what kind of problem is that??? Lol

speady1

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You are going to want the wheels, cart or no cart. Just too heavy and bulky when you load it up, IMHO.

Reactions: Ced

Ced

Reaction score
Yep. Although that’s what I felt, before I saw that the one without is 3lbs lighter...
but I think you’re right.

Mongrel

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I may be a little slow, but I don't understand adding wheels to something that you are going to put onto something with wheels.

How cymbals do you normally carry?
How often will you not have the cart and have to carry them?

When I go "big" I use a hard cymbal case and a cart. When I go "small" with only a few cymbals I just use a cymbal bag or a lighter\smaller hardcase-no wheels.

When I am using a backline kit I have a small fold-away handtruck type thing that I will strap the cymbal hardcase to along with my stick bag, snare drum, and pedal.

I guess if the wheels on the SKB cymbal case work well enough you could strap some stuff to it and use that as your hand truck?

I don't own one so I don't know it that would even be possible, or how well it would work.

Ced

Reaction score
Mongrel, you are not slow :) it’s kind of a nerdy dumb question from me

I guess to make my question simple, it would be:

To people who bought a 22” hard case, do you wish it had wheels at times.

Basically I am about to get a 22” hard case, should I get it with wheels just in case?

I have several different scenarios:

- I do a jazz rehearsals and I have minimal setup 1 ride. 1 crash and a pair of small hats. But I will usually take more to have the choice of swapping them for different sounds depending how it’s going. I may not take a cart in those occasions though

- a more rock cover band, where I take a little more and put everything on a cart.

Right now I have a soft Meinl bag, and it’s ok but it’s heavy and if that thing falls, it can’t be good... also I like the storage option in a hardcase

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I almost always wish my cymbal bag was lighter but never wish it had wheels. I go for less bulky because it fits better in the car, transports easier on the cart (or i carry it with the backstraps) and it is easier to stow at the gig. I often keep the cymbal bag close by to swap a cymbal or grab an accessory from the pocket. Good luck!

dtk

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'd go with wheels...the extra weight shouldn't be a big deal if you're using the cart too but here's what I'm thinking...

1) How tired are you after a gig...
2) How old are you
3) How active are you otherwise

If you have one day where you wrench your back (before after or during the gig) and you don't have to lift your cymbals...its money well spent and as we age...there will be more days when you'll appreciate this..

I just bought my 2nd rolling cymbal case and I'm eyeing a third. Rolling hardware carts are also a must...hell...one of my base cases also rolls..