SKB vs Hardcase Drum Cases

mike90

Reaction score
I took some pics of mine last night since they are not in use and nestled.

Here they are all ready for anything...
View attachment 517583

Here's how they look nested.

View attachment 517584

They still look very good for being 20 years old and seen many gigs in their time. All straps and clips still work perfectly.
Wow very cool. Thanks for sharing. And all the lids can nest inside as well?

Piggpenn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Even the lids can be nested....sort of. lol

20210913_225915.jpg

P.S. The nonsense going on in the background is I think I have the Yammy's sold and am putting on the factory head that came with it.

mjohnson12

Reaction score
I have a full set of SKB cases for a kit and a Humes & Berg Enduro case for the matching snare. I've had them almost 20 years and they have held up well. My only complaint on the SKB cases is they were stored one time not climate controlled for a while and the adhesive that holds the foam on melted and now the lid for that case sticks. The Humes and Berg didn't have that issue and I like better in general.

sternerp

Reaction score
I bought a couple of Hardcase units for my djembe and darbuka for an airplane trip to Nashville. They were solid cases that were more than adequate to protect my drums.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The AAA have the same problem as the hardcase, although it's not as severe: unless the bottom section of the case extends higher than the drum before you put the lid on, the drum itself is the structural component, not the case. That makes the case equivalent to a "bag with very stiff sides". Absolutely protects the drums from scuffs / scrapes and environmental issues (rain, dust, smoke, etc), but doesn't provide support for severe drops / stacking, etc. If you can't stand on your case _without_ the drum inside, then it's not really a "case".

And, FWIW, this shows the why the rotomolded plastic (SKB / Enduro / Protector) cases aren't as good as ATA/flight cases: they provide strength in one direction (top-to-bottom), but not in the other (side-to-side).

It all comes down to what you need:

- If you just need to protect the drums (keep them clean, keep them from getting scuffed up), but are only ever stacking them one or two deep in the back of your car, a nice bag will do.
- If you need the above, but also protection from the occasional low height drop (dropped from your hands while carrying in, for example), then the "rigid bag"-style (AAA) or "telescoping case"-style (hardcase) give you that
- If you want to stack up higher in the van, protect from higher drops (stage level), molded plastic works great
- If you need to protect from hungover forklift drivers, or hold their ground against shifting roadcases in a semi-trailer traveling down the highway, then AAA / plywood cases are what you need

For me, a good case (Ahead, DrumSeeker, Beato) works for what I need. These days, I'm transporting my drums myself in the back compartment of my SUV. I have a Hardcase for one of my hardware sets (although I find I'm using that less than my Gibraltar flat-based in a Beato hardware bag / DW Ultralight hardware sets, so even that doesn't get used much), and a Hardcase cymbal vault (although I usually use an Ahead or Sabian bag for those too). I also have two Enduro snare cases, just because some of those drums are heavy enough to damage themselves from even a small drop.

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what its worth.

The AAA cases can be stood on and dropped, and protect from all sides (hence the All Accidents Averted name).

They are NOT the same as the bags with supports in them, nor the Hardcases (where the drum can be part of the case if the right depth size is chosen).

This because of how they are build (different then bags with supports in them).

When being closed the sides are just as strong as the top and bottom.

It because of this build they are also fully waterproof.

The only “downside of this is, is that they are hard to stack if you go to the next size. This means a 14 wont fit in a 16. But a 10 does fit in a 14.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
For what its worth.

The AAA cases can be stood on and dropped, and protect from all sides (hence the All Accidents Averted name).

They are NOT the same as the bags with supports in them, nor the Hardcases (where the drum can be part of the case if the right depth size is chosen).

This because of how they are build (different then bags with supports in them).

When being closed the sides are just as strong as the top and bottom.

It because of this build they are also fully waterproof.

The only “downside of this is, is that they are hard to stack if you go to the next size. This means a 14 wont fit in a 16. But a 10 does fit in a 14.
I'm sorry, I've used Protection Racket and there's no way I'd stand on an AAA case. Because there's not a component that extends full height (like a case with a lid), the zipper becomes a load-bearing element.
AAA_Popover-f11ca1c8.jpeg

That's a bag, not a case. The sides are foam, and the "shell" of the case doesn't extend above the drum. The drum is the most rigid item in the case.

Last edited:

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been using them for over 10 years, trust me that what I stated is true.

You are mistaken by the regular Protection Racket cases. These are soomething totally different.

You saying the sides are only foam sounds to me you haven't used them personally, because that is not the case (no pun intended).

Because the walls of the bottom part AND the top are so thick (and reinforced by layers of plastic, foam and wool) they do offer full side protection and the drum inside is NOT the most rigid part of the equation.

The zipper locks the two rigid parts together As if it was one full enclosed housing.

Yes you actually CAN stand on them.

bpaluzzi

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I have been using them for over 10 years, trust me that what I stated is true.

You are mistaken by the regular Protection Racket cases. These are soomething totally different.

You saying the sides are only foam sounds to me you haven't used them personally, because that is not the case (no pun intended).

Because the walls of the bottom part AND the top are so thick (and reinforced by layers of plastic, foam and wool) they do offer full side protection and the drum inside is NOT the most rigid part of the equation.

The zipper locks the two rigid parts together As if it was one full enclosed housing.

Yes you actually CAN stand on them.
I’ve used both the AAA and the standard Protection Racket cases. I’m familiar with the differences between them. I stand by what I wrote (again, no pun intended) ;)

musiqman

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’ve used both the AAA and the standard Protection Racket cases. I’m familiar with the differences between them. I stand by what I wrote (again, no pun intended) ;)
Apperently not familiar enough, but no shame in that.

That is what a forum for.

Help eachother out on things one might be not familiar enough with :thumbup:

bellbrass

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've never used or owned Hardcase...because I've owned SKB hard cases for years, and never had any issues at all with them...built like a tank. And, as icing on the cake - when the nylon sleeve for my SKB cymbal case wore through, they sent me 2 new ones, at no charge. :cool:

dwdave

Groovinator
Reaction score
I have a full set of SKB hard cases. 22" BD, 16" and 14" FT, 12", 10" and 8" MT and 14" snare cases. They are all 20 years old and still look like new.

The snap buckles and all strapping is still pristine and the padding is still attached to the inside of each case.

Mine will fully nest inside themselves, except the cymbal vault and snare case. All BD to small MT case nest. It's a great system.

When not in use they nest. When fully in use they stack nicely with locking tracks in the lids of all cases. They are 100% waterproof as long and they aren't sitting on their sides. lol.

Can't say enough good about them.
I have the same story with slightly different sizes. They have traveled thru rain and snow with no issues at all. I have had the unfortunate tumble of some cases and the drums were unaffected. They do cost more than some other cases, but they are made very well and don't really wear out.