Sketchy Cymbal Purchase On Reverb

skelt101

Reaction score
I purchased a cymbal on Reverb from what looked to be a reputable seller. The listing stated the condition as "Brand New", but that didn't seem to be the case when I opened up the package. I sent the following message to the seller about three days ago, and haven't received a reply yet:

Hello there,
I purchased the Paiste 22” Dark Energy Ride Mark II from you. The listing stated the condition as “Brand New”, but that is clearly not the case. The edge of the cymbal has several “flea bites”, the top is dusty and the serial number is about 13 years old. I realize the listing was a “Best Offer” situation, but feel it was also misleading. What can be done to resolve this issue? Thank you very much for your attention and I hope to hear from you soon!

Am I out of line with my message? Should I send a follow-up message to the seller before contacting Reverb? I'd like to give the seller a chance before posting any feedback, but this transaction strikes me as sketchy... What do you all think? Thanks for any advice!

jmato

Reaction score
You are not out of line at all. I'd go to Reverb now.

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
You handled it right. I think dealing on Reverb is really hit and miss. Some of the storefronts who sell on there seem to be ok.

rock roll

Reaction score
You should always give them the chance to make it right first before going to reverb. Or ebay etc.

rock roll

Reaction score
You handled it right. I think dealing on Reverb is really hit and miss. Some of the storefronts who sell on there seem to be ok.
I've bought on reverb and found that a lot of the little brick n mortar music stores couldn't find what I purchased.
I've received some cool stuff from reverb but for instance......
3 times I've bought bottom parts of premier stands only to be told they couldn't find them.

rock roll

Reaction score
I purchased a cymbal on Reverb from what looked to be a reputable seller. The listing stated the condition as "Brand New", but that didn't seem to be the case when I opened up the package. I sent the following message to the seller about three days ago, and haven't received a reply yet:

Hello there,
I purchased the Paiste 22” Dark Energy Ride Mark II from you. The listing stated the condition as “Brand New”, but that is clearly not the case. The edge of the cymbal has several “flea bites”, the top is dusty and the serial number is about 13 years old. I realize the listing was a “Best Offer” situation, but feel it was also misleading. What can be done to resolve this issue? Thank you very much for your attention and I hope to hear from you soon!

Am I out of line with my message? Should I send a follow-up message to the seller before contacting Reverb? I'd like to give the seller a chance before posting any feedback, but this transaction strikes me as sketchy... What do you all think? Thanks for any advice!
You are not out of line.
Look at the sellers pics again and see if the flea bites are visible.
Then it's a matter of .......
Do you still want the ride?
Do you feel you overpayed?
All that can happen is you can return it for refund or he can give you some money back and you give him a bad but honest review.
Good luck.
Hopefully you like how it sounds if you end up stuck with it.

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Perfectly in line. What is the sellers feedback history? That will give you a sense if he is dodging you or has possibly not seen your message yet. Reverb’s email notifications are a bit dodgy.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Nice email. Take photos. I'd send a f/u email today and if no reply by midnight Friday, contact Reverb. I don't like to be a Richard, but I will give the seller one chance to rectify/refund/solve the issue.

Sounds like one of those "well, it was new to ME" sellers, though.....please let us know the response, the outcome and the seller's name so we are aware for future dealings....thanks. Even if you get a full refund, this is still BS and I would be angry I had to waste my time due to a misleading listing.

skelt101

Reaction score
Here's a link to the original listing:
https://reverb.com/item/6198754-paiste-22-dark-energy-ride-mark-ii
955 ratings with 5-stars overall seemed like a solid reputation. I'll have to compare the picture to the actual cymbal that was shipped, but it strikes me as a "stock" photo. In any event, it's not detailed enough to zoom in on any potential blemishes. I really do feel the listing was misleading though. Even if the cymbal in question was never sold to a customer (in 10+ years), the most generous way I would describe the condition is B-stock and/or Shop Worn. As I mentioned in the message, the top of the cymbal appears dusty (as if it was sitting on a rack for a while), and I counted 20 +/- flea bites of varying depths around the edge. I'm hesitant to put the cymbal on a stand to test the sound, because then the seller could potentially claim I am responsible for any wear. Too paranoid? Thanks for the advice so far!

EDIT: The link to the listing may not work since the cymbal was sold. Here's a screenshot:

Last edited:

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
If a listing condition is “brand new” Reverb policy states the seller has to be an authorized brand dealer and the item needs to come in its original packaging in “flawless” condition. Otherwise it needs to be listed as “mint” or “B-Stock” if that applies. Please research the exact Reverb language for more info.

Edit for link:

Nacci

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
They listed there phone # on their Reverb page. 647-360-0026. If you have given them three days I would call them. Like I said. Reverb is not great about alerting you of messages and notifications. I would ask for a $100 partial refund.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
They listed there phone # on their Reverb page. 647-360-0026. If you have given them three days I would call them. Like I said. Reverb is not great about alerting you of messages and notifications. I would ask for a $100 partial refund.
Changing notifications settings will generate near instant banner notifications.

dustjacket

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Strange, I actually had several positive purchases/interactions with that seller including a refund (product was on back order).

jmpd_utoronto

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
LA Music is actually pretty close to me, though I haven't been in there in a while. They used to be a huge shop (originally two floors of a mid-rise office building, now they only seem to be part of one floor) and they seem to be getting smaller and smaller. I've purchased a couple of things from there over the years but for the most part I've found their prices higher than other local shops, and their customer service had a bit of a "used car dealer" sort of vibe (at least that was my own personal impression). My sense (again, based only on driving by the store fairly frequently and having been in there occasionally, not on any real knowledge so take all this with a large grain of salt) is that they are winding down their operations, at least the storefront/retail part. Based on my last visit in there, I think there's probably quite a bit of shopworn/NOS stuff that's kicking around - I remember a couple of years ago looking at an HH ride that at the time was at least 15 years old, and they wanted more money for it than a newer HH remastered one would have cost.
In any case, I hope they do something to make things right for you.

Last edited:

CAMDRUMS

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Flea bites definitely are not new condition. Maybe someone mailed you the wrong cymbal?

skelt101

Reaction score
Just received a response via their website:
"HI
You can proceed with the return policy on this. We will not charge you any restocking....but you would have to pay for shipping both ways....this item has never been sold...new old stock.
Let us know
Thanks"

Message now sent to Reverb...

Latest posts