SKF Inquiry: WFL III Drums?

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Good morning - Writing a new blog post this morning I discovered William F. Ludwig III has his own drum line. I didn't know that.

I'd appreciate feedback from any DrumForum.org members who own or who have had experience with WFL III drums.

Thank you.

Scott K Fish

philmets

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2017 first run mahogany/poplar snare on here, love it. Very well made with top quality hardware, sounds tremendous too. As far as I'm aware the wooden shells are made by Keller, aluminum by Trick, finished/assembled at the WFL III workshop in Kansas. Good info here...

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I recently picked up a 2017 first run mahogany/poplar snare on here, love it. Very well made with top quality hardware, sounds tremendous too. As far as I'm aware the wooden shells are made by Keller, aluminum by Trick, finished/assembled at the WFL III workshop in Kansas. Good info here...

Thank you. Informative video. I'll have to drop WFL III a note. The last time we spoke, I think, was in 1983 when I was still at MD. He was a nice guy who knew quite a bit about drums, drummers, and drumming.

Fess

Reaction score
I have a 3 piece kit I bought from an online retailer. Wonderful drums. Great build quality and tone. I liked them so much, I tried to get a 2nd floor tom. So far I've failed. 2 emails to WFLiii where immediately responded to by WFL himself, but he never followed up on price or timeframe. I tried to go through the retailer and never heard back from them either.
So, I strongly recommend the drums, just don't expect any support.

drawtheline55

Owner/admin
Administrator
Reaction score
I have a 3 piece kit I bought from an online retailer. Wonderful drums. Great build quality and tone. I liked them so much, I tried to get a 2nd floor tom. So far I've failed. 2 emails to WFLiii where immediately responded to by WFL himself, but he never followed up on price or timeframe. I tried to go through the retailer and never heard back from them either.
So, I strongly recommend the drums, just don't expect any support.
What sizes did you get ?

tnsquint

Backline Rental Guru
Reaction score
I produced a televised awards show back in May and WFL III asked if they could provide a kit. Since I knew a few of the artists were endorsing them already I opted to go ahead. A really nice WMP kit from Drum Paradise. WFL III himself came to hang out for a while and we had a really nice conversation.

The drums were well received by the artists and my monitor engineer mentioned how much he liked the tone. They did sound good. At some point I would like to add a kit to my rental fleet but 2020 put a bite in the ol’ capital purchases budget.

Gotdrums

3rd most viewed drummer online
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
All kidding aside.......Get those WFL III drums now because my insider, who I won't say who it is, but his name rhymes with Parmine Appice, said to me that they are going out of buisness as of NOW.

Scott K Fish

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone, for the insight. I don't understand companies that make no provision for communicating with customers or potential customers. It's a shame. / skf