Skill level vs Gear level

hsosdrum

Reaction score
In the 60’s and before, prior to MIJ junk, you bought pro equipment. That’s just how it was.
So true. When I was 16 ( 1968 ) I could not afford a pro-level kit, so I was still expanding my original E.W. Kent kit by adding pieces to it. A few of the neighborhood kids (all a few years younger than I was) were just starting out on drums, so their folks got them pro-level kits: one was a silver sparkle Rogers 1-up/1-down, one was a blue agate Slingerland 1-up/1-down and one was a gold sparkle Ludwig 2-up/1-down (all with Zildjians). I remember because I was giving drum lessons to all three of these kids, only one of whom practiced and had any drumming talent at all.

The 16-year old me was envious of these high-quality instruments in the hands of kids who really couldn't handle them very well (at the time I was still five years away from my first pro-level kit); today the 68-year old me simply hopes that those kids had fun getting a taste of playing the very best of what the American drum industry had to offer at that time.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Think op you are talking about " more money than brains"...
yeah I don't like to see that..but not my place to judge harshly (at all.

I do wonder when I see professional cymbals gone thru one after another after another after another...

Behavior like that "speaks for itself".
All by itself.
Don't have to say a thing.

drumtimejohn

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I do argue that quality equipment matters however I believe it takes a little experience to actualize those subtle differences. Playing basketball with a warped rubber street ball on an angled driveway court while shooting at a rickety hoop is a lot more challenging than using an official leather ball on a regulation indoor wood court.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
always associated drums with working ("means to an end")
So anything purchased
Should down the road Over time; pay for itself
But then there's the category of drummers that don't work that don't see it "as work"
And want it for personal home thing.
I was not aware of that type
for many many many years.

but I've become pretty active at dFO.
Always thought of drums/cymbals/sticks/heads/cases
in the "working" they make you money, (get paid) (gear pays it way "back") sense.

speady1

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Devil's advocate questions: Does a 16-year-old new driver need or deserve a $40,000 car? Does a guy that wants to start golfing need or deserve a new set of Taylor Made clubs that run $1,500? Does a first-time homeowner need a $400,000, 3500 sq ft. house? Usually, no one pays any mind to these things, but when it's musical gear, lots of folks have a reaction. Not sure why. Not saying right or wrong either way. Just curious why instruments are seen as a sacred cow sometimes.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
no. on cars
no. on clubs
mm no maybe. homes can last a long time. maybe an entire life.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's the matter of being spoiled too. Sometimes great gear (car/ golf clubs..) too fast, too soon, spoils one down the road..and never recover..

Targalx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Does a first-time homeowner need a $400,000, 3500 sq ft. house?
WAIT! Where did you find a 3,500 sq. ft. house for only $400K?!? Here in the L.A. area, $400K is barely the price paid by a first-time homeowner. They might be able to get a 1-bedroom condo in a marginal area...?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
WAIT! Where did you find a 3,500 sq. ft. house for only $400K?!? Here in the L.A. area, $400K is barely the price paid by a first-time homeowner. They might be able to get a 1-bedroom condo in a marginal area...?
see this recent news story?

DamnSingerAlsoDrums

Reaction score
It's always a matter of having something you want to play on, some gear that inspires you, brings you joy.

It is quite heartbreaking when you see expensive/exclusive stuff in the hands of people who just don't play them or worse, who don't have any gratitude towards life to be fortunate enough to have the best gear. It brings back memories of growing up poor and getting my mind blown whenever I'd go to some of my wealthier friends' and see all the amazing toys that I'd spend all my time dreaming about. And it was quite shocking that they didn't even play with most of them anyway.

Drum-wise, I'm probably in the "not enough skills for the gear I've got" group myself. But my kits are getting played on, a lot. And they generate tremendous amounts of joy, in my heart and in my soul.

Maybe not as much in my neighbor's though...

Tornado

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people need to buy the top end in order to discover better gear won't make them better. No excuses after that.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Some people need to buy the top end in order to discover better gear won't make them better. No excuses after that.
that's why you start drums when you don't have nothing... hear it all the time ' started in early teens' " had a paper route" came up with half old man/mom/sister pitched in the other half.
Even Elvin Jones told the same story. His sister helped him with his first set....
(it's in the Different Drummer video/vhs)

Rotarded

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Drum-wise, I'm probably in the "not enough skills for the gear I've got" group myself. But my kits are getting played on, a lot. And they generate tremendous amounts of joy, in my heart and in my soul.
I'm quite sure I fall into this category myself. My pragmatic ego has come to terms with this.

lrod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been playing for 35+ years and I consider myself to play well but I don't play nearly enough to match the equipment I have if you look at it comparatively. What I mean is that I'm sure my equipment is better than my playing, LOL!
But I didn't start with what I have now. I started cheap and worked my way up. But if someone has the means to go all out from the beginning, good for them! I'm always happy for people when I see them succeed.
You cant assume that everyone who drives a Ferrari is a race car driver!
Same goes for drumming!