skinny bass drum project

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm looking for a super skinny bass drum, goal is somewhere around 6-8" deep and 24-26" dia. Favoring 26 because I have heads laying around.

I know that Jr marchers exist but inventory isn't turning over right now. I can get a Keller but shipping is outrageous. Furandhide has a 24x3 shell for frame drums. But that shallow might cause headaches with hardware (trying to avoid offset lugs). I suppose I could make it work in a single tension drum. A small airspace is gonna be stiff and I think it's going to need to be ported to avoid flutter.

I'm looking for input as well as sources. Are you sitting on a pile of cutoffs or Jr marching bass drums? A lug that will work with a 3" shell? Ideas?

1988fxlr

Reaction score
Get any bass you can find in the size you want that doesn’t have reinforcement rings and cut it down to desired depth on a table saw. Get a junk 5” or shallower 10 lug snare and rob the two sided center lugs. Piccolo snare lugs may allow shallower depths. I would crank the heads on a drum with similar heads to what I planned to use and put a pencil mark on the shell at the counterhoop of the shell to measure how far the head could possibly seat and add that to the distance from lug casing to hoop on the donor snare if trying for very shallow.

I’m sure there are other good options but I assume 80’s-90’s pearl marching drums are still fairly readily and inexpensively available. They had pretty thick un ringed maple shells that should cut nicely with a fine tooth blade and allow for a good even bearing edge to be cut by an amateur with patience.

alternatively some of the older scotch pipe band bass drums were only 10-12” deep. If you’re happy with that a set of clip on spurs and you can decide if you like it before making any alterations

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
I'm aware of sidekick. They only make a 22. Also their web site appears to have been commandeered by hackers.

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some brass lugs that are 2 sided, single point. I used them on a 3x14 snare custom build I did using a beater shell. I needed to cut the T rods down to 1" deep to work (using a Dremel). You can always stagger normal lugs (although I don't like that look).....

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
The thought of running single headed crossed my mind. I grew up in the he 70's/80's and do like it, though single headed in a drum this shallow is likely a very different beast.

The other single headed idea I had is to close off the back except for a tuning port, much like a ported speaker cabinet. Head size probably becomes less important there, but I think that would work a lot better in an 8" depth than a 3" depth.

kicksnarehat

Reaction score
How about double-headed but single tension? You might not even need lugs (I'd probably skip them for anything that shallow) but there are unthreaded "guide-hole" type lugs if you'd prefer.

For example (not mine):

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score
So treating this as a bass reflex woofer design, 26" dia x 10" deep is about 3 cu ft, ideal port area would be about 48 sq in and would result in a tuning length of about 40 Hz @ 4" long. Of course you could probably tune it a bit lower. Of course, with the airspace/port providing the resonance, it might not need to be any particular size, but I sort of have a little hangup at the moment about being able to tune the head to the same pitch as the port.