Skinny Drum Kit Build

malonedrum

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

A few weeks ago I shared a YouTube video I made of a "skinny" bass drum I built and since then I've crafted two matching toms to go with it. I'll attach the YouTube link to the video that goes along with that second part, and has some full kit demos at the end. Let me know what you think of the drums. I had such a blast making these, and they actually sound pretty great (at least for jazz, because I've only used them on a few jazz trio gigs so far).

YouTube Video

88C1D3C5-3DB9-45EB-8B6A-6BB9894EEFBB.JPG
IMG_2725.JPG

JimmySticks

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow, great job!

They look great, they're compact and easy to travel with, and, they sound fantastic! Nice work for sure.

rculberson

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Nice work! The Yamaha tom mounting hardware was a good move.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Nice work! The Yamaha tom mounting hardware was a good move.
Yes! One of the more interesting reasons why I went down that road is because with the Yamaha mount you can have much more flexibility to get the tom either right up to the center post or space far away. On the typical mounts with L arms, you're kind of stuck where you are.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Now this is skinny !

Skinny kits are cool - I love short stack Toms
Is that the DW one? I looked at those, but in my experience with single headed drums it's near impossible for me to get a sound I hear in my head. I love the true compact-ness of that one, but Im curious as to how you enjoy single headed drums.

I love the creativity in the single-headed snare on that one for sure.

NobleCooleyNut

Very well Known Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is that the DW one? I looked at those, but in my experience with single headed drums it's near impossible for me to get a sound I hear in my head. I love the true compact-ness of that one, but Im curious as to how you enjoy single headed drums.

I love the creativity in the single-headed snare on that one for sure.

It is the DW Low Pro kit, yes. The SNOM is crap and I sold it immediately. The bass drum when mixed up is fine. The toms are very fat and project better than I expected. I play some outdoor gigs and rehearsals with it or when weather looks iffy. It sets up quickly and packs up in the designed rolling case and keeps the footprint small.

malonedrum

Reaction score
Yeah, I wish more companies that made travel kits also designed specific cases/bags for it. DW seems to have gotten that down really well with that kit. I know I could just buy cases, but if Im hauling the same number of bags, its not really any more efficient than bringing normal drums.

malonedrum

Reaction score
I have remo coated ambassadors on top, Evans g1 clear on bottom. Just using up heads I had lying around. It crushes my soul a little to mix brands, but really not a big deal.

ThomasL

Reaction score
Very warm and controlled sound for Ambys and double 45s. Maybe it's the thin shells?

malonedrum

Reaction score
I could see it being the shells. Most kits are not that thin, and I wanted lighter shells to make them lighter overall. Could just be my room which is pretty warm sounding in general, I used a solo KSM32 for the overhead and only boosted the hi and cut a little low out.