Skinny small drum set

wackjob

Reaction score
Anybody seen or even better heard one of these kits ?

https://www.sidekickdrums.com/shop/skinny-small-drum-set-burnt-orange/

I find them to be very interesting. All drums are 6" deep so will take up little space and will be very easy to transport. Being double headed, having a regular snare and of possibly enough depth they might be the ideal solution for portable, space saving kits whilst avoiding the disadvantages of the arbiter flats, traps kits or Remo legero.

I await your thoughts :blob4:

R

RickP

I have owned many nesting and small drum kits and have found most lacking . The only truly portable nesting drum set I found that had a great sound and did not weigh a ton to move around was the Whitney Nesting Penguin kits . They weigh under 35lbs.nested, come with padded bags and have a well thought out rack system to mount them in that is included with the kit .

Honorable mention goes to the excellent Premier Artist Birch Heritage Club kits 20 x 8 bass ; 10 x 6 rack and 13 x 11 floor with legs and 13 x 6 snare .

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Put together a little Keller shell set a couple of year ago - just because. Actually worked pretty well. Used it for a practice for quite a bit. Has since moved on down the road to another drummer who like how light and portable it is. 6x12, 6x14. 10x22.

P2200704.JPG

shuffle

DFO Star
Reaction score
20171111_105110.jpg

This kit has seen many a mile.
The weak link is the bass,D112 and a powered sub woofer took care of that!
PureCussions NE Series

cribbon

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
View attachment 385436 View attachment 385437 View attachment 385437 View attachment 385437
Anybody seen or even better heard one of these kits ?

https://www.sidekickdrums.com/shop/skinny-small-drum-set-burnt-orange/

I find them to be very interesting. All drums are 6" deep so will take up little space and will be very easy to transport. Being double headed, having a regular snare and of possibly enough depth they might be the ideal solution for portable, space saving kits whilst avoiding the disadvantages of the arbiter flats, traps kits or Remo legero.

I await your thoughts :blob4:
I like it. Here's my version:

IMG_1173.JPG TimbaleTraveler001.jpg

Pearl Rhythm Traveler bass drum (8x20), DW piccolo tom (2.5x10) & Pearl flat timbale (3.5x13) with a 5x14 Blacro. The 10 nests inside the 13 and they both fit in a 4x14 snare bag or I can put both timbales and snare into a 10x14 bag. Lightweight hi-hat, snare stand & 2 cymbal stands plus throne and pedal (& jam block and cowbell) and I'm good to go.

Last edited:

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
For $1,200.00, I'd buy a used Gretsch Catalina kit, or a ton of other smaller kits (I also like and have a Sonor Safari kit 10/13/16/14), or could even piecemeal a nicer kit with individual drums. Maybe an 8x12, 10x14 and 10x18 tenor, and basically use any snare, all for well below $1.2K.

I've put together a micro kit with a 70's Slingy 10x14 as my bass. I added spurs and wood hoops. I put the top 1/2 of a vintage WFL stand in the badge hole thru a set-o-matic tom mount, and added a small tom mount inside the bottom to accept it as a guide. I added a Gretsch diamond mount as the ride stand, and a reissue Gretsch L-arm. So I have a 10x14 bass with a snare mounted on top, and a ride! I can add a 6.5x14 snare as my floor tom (so that is the sole stand), or I can put a 8x12 tom on top of the bass, and add a 2nd snare stand for the snare. Then just add hats and a pedal, and that's a pretty small (and fairly cheap kit - I had all the drums, cymbals & parts, & the bass was a leftover shell). I keep it at my home office just to mess with instead of going up to my music room just so I can keep my hands/feet moving or when I get inspired.

I also can't say enough about suitcase kits - mine is junky, yet classy! Instead of being a cool hipster with simply a suitcase as the bass drum, my entire kit (except the bass pedal and folding stool) actually also fits into the case and it rolls along, takes 6 minutes to set up and 15 minutes to break down, and is a 10/14/26" wide bass, and 10" snare, with a splash and a ride, and HH's. I have a small HH stand, a small snare stand, and converted a 6.5x14 junky wood snare into a FT by adding leg mounts.
I had some of the drums but it cost me about $100 overall for all items had I had to start from scratch.

That blue Tama kit is nice, too.

JDA

DFO Star
Reaction score
Last edited:

ThomFloor

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Bass drum depth and floor tom width dictate the real estate on any stage or room. Depth on any toms or snare doesn't take up any real estate. So really, you save only 4 inches going from say a 12 x 20 bass to one of these 8 x 20 things. And you save one inch going from a regular 14 floor to a 13 floor. Add it all up not all that much space saved with micro-kits.

What the micro kits do save is the muscle used to haul them around. That's the real hook for marketing.

mfryed2112

DFO Star
Reaction score
What he said, its stupid when you think about it. Just go for the 12,14,20 or 18 with 12 to 14 inch depth on the bass drum if you want a small kit. It's, cool, always has been, always will be

equipmentdork

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I see Sidekick drums on eBay all the time, and I think their prices are steep.

The new Tama looks nice. I'd go for it if I didn't have the Premier kit.

Dan

JazzDrumGuy

DFO Star
Reaction score
Had one of those for a couple of years. What I really like was one side mesh head, one side regular head. Middle mounts meant it was easy to go from one to the other by flipping the shells. Quiet practice to real drums in under a minute.
The PDP link won't work for me and I've never seen this kit. What a great idea! What about the bass? Only the reso side was a real head? Did it still sound good when you played for real? What about the FT? Were the mounts in the middle of the shell?

Frank Godiva

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The PDP link won't work for me and I've never seen this kit. What a great idea! What about the bass? Only the reso side was a real head? Did it still sound good when you played for real? What about the FT? Were the mounts in the middle of the shell?
Sorry the link won't work.
I owned one these years ago. As designed; it worked and yes all mounts in the middle including the bass drum. It was limited acoustically with mesh heads as a reso, very concert toms 70s vibe, good on the mesh with triggers, natural ergonomics with a 20, with 2 heads sounded much better acoustic which should be obvious but not sold that way.

tdcrjeff

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
PDP Chameleon link worked fine for me.

The Pacific Chameleon is a versatile, practical, portable, affordable, reversible drumset designed to be a first set for beginning drummers and a second set for professionals. Along with a standard 5x13" snare drum, the five-piece kit features Pacific's CX Series drums in short-stack sizes (10x20" bass drum and 5x10", 6x12" and 7x14" tom-toms) with regular coated/clear Pacific drumheads on one side and woven/mesh heads on the other. This configuration allows players to quickly change from silent mode to full-volume playing merely reversing the position of the drums.
The "Chameleon" kit includes an assortment of lightweight Pacific 700 Series hardware (HH700 Hi-Hat, SS700 Snare Stand and CS700 Cymbal Stand) and a SP401 single bass drum pedal. Due to its practice/performance capabilities and compact size, the multi-purpose Chameleon drumkit is recommended for a wide variety of situations: from anytime, anywhere practice sessions at home or at school to rehearsals, studio recording, concerts and club dates.
The Pacific Chameleon reversible practice kit has been discontinued since 2003. There still may be some set left at the retail level.

Chameleon.jpg