Sleeved Washers for Lugs

Rick

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these: http://sleevedwashers.com/endorser-testimonials/

I'm intrigued. Using the Tunebot, I have very tight standards for my tuning. Even playing top of the line Tama drums, I still find myself having to retune every few gigs (especially the snare). They're not far off at all, but like I said, I like to keep them right on the numbers with the Tunebot. I'm wondering if these might help.

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I have been using these for years now (Under the name Hendrix Washers). I personally think they are excellent & eliminate metal to metal contact between the bolt & the hoop. I have also found that they also stop the bolt from unwinding at low tensions. They don't fit all drums though depending on bolt size.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I too am intrigued by those washers. I've been reading about them for a while. The only thing that has stopped me is the price. It seems kind of expensive for a bag of little plastic washers. But if it works, I might buy them. I'd like to hear about others who have used them. Cheapest place to get them from what I've seen is on eBay, $24 for 100 with free shipping.
I also looked at Tightscrew which is intriguing as well:

Rick

Reaction score
I have been using these for years now (Under the name Hendrix Washers). I personally think they are excellent & eliminate metal to metal contact between the bolt & the hoop. I have also found that they also stop the bolt from unwinding at low tensions. They don't fit all drums though depending on bolt size.
Thanks. Do you think they will stop the bolt from unwinding at high tensions too?

Rick

Reaction score
I too am intrigued by those washers. I've been reading about them for a while. The only thing that has stopped me is the price. It seems kind of expensive for a bag of little plastic washers. But if it works, I might buy them. I'd like to hear about others who have used them. Cheapest place to get them from what I've seen is on eBay, $24 for 100 with free shipping.
If I try them, I'll probably try them out on my Tama Superstar Classic kit first. It has much cheaper lugs/washers on it and detunes quite a bit quicker than my Starclassic Maples do. That should be a pretty good test.

Kevaruka

Reaction score
I bought mine from Amazon (Search Hendrix Washers) Admit, they are not cheap for what they are but, do what they say on the tin.

jmato

Reaction score
I use them. I find that they help with snares, in particular, in keeping them from detuning. They do the same on toms and such, but that is usually less of an issue. I am a fan and recommend.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Anybody have any experience with these: http://sleevedwashers.com/endorser-testimonials/

I'm intrigued. Using the Tunebot, I have very tight standards for my tuning. Even playing top of the line Tama drums, I still find myself having to retune every few gigs (especially the snare). They're not far off at all, but like I said, I like to keep them right on the numbers with the Tunebot. I'm wondering if these might help.
I love sleeved washers, make tuning a lot smoother, and do help with keeping tuning in place. I use the ones from DFD. They don’t work on Tama die casts (neither do the Hendrix/sleeved washer brand).

For snares, I’ve been using either TightScrews or DFD version called “Nylok” (which are less expensive and just as effective). The tension on snares tend to back out the most due to the constant banging, higher tension, and rimshots. These help a TON. They both are a little ‘sticky’ at first, and you have to use a drum key even to get them flush with the rim (finger tight), but the results are great. Any change is now only due to the head stretching.

Here are DFD version. They come in multiple sizes.

I put nylok tension rods on my Stage Custom gigging kit, and they are almost always spot on.

The TightScrews I tend to use on snares more due to options like black or brass colors.

Oh, and TightScrews/Nylok rods WITH sleeved washers is a picky tuners dream combo.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I love sleeved washers, make tuning a lot smoother, and do help with keeping tuning in place. I use the ones from DFD. They don’t work on Tama die casts (neither do the Hendrix/sleeved washer brand).

For snares, I’ve been using either TightScrews or DFD version called “Nylok” (which are less expensive and just as effective). The tension on snares tend to back out the most due to the constant banging, higher tension, and rimshots. These help a TON. They both are a little ‘sticky’ at first, and you have to use a drum key even to get them flush with the rim (finger tight), but the results are great. Any change is now only due to the head stretching.

Here are DFD version. They come in multiple sizes.

I put nylok tension rods on my Stage Custom gigging kit, and they are almost always spot on.

The TightScrews I tend to use on snares more due to options like black or brass colors.

Oh, and TightScrews/Nylok rods WITH sleeved washers is a picky tuners dream combo.
Wow the DFD nylon washers are $10 for 100. Do you have any idea if they are any different than the Hendrix? They look exactly the same from the pictures. I might give those a go. I would need 2 bags which would save me almost $30 vs the Hendrix sleeves.

lrod1707

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I bought mine from Amazon (Search Hendrix Washers) Admit, they are not cheap for what they are but, do what they say on the tin.
I checked Amazon, same price as eBay, $24 for 100 or $17 for 50. I guess that's what they go for everywhere.

Ray Dee Oh King

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
In the last month I've purchased these and added them to one of my sets and one of my snares so far. They do exactly what is advertised. They're really nice for lower tunings, especially on my bass drum. Once in a while I would get a rod or two on my bass drum that would loosen, since putting these in I havent had one issue.

Rick

Reaction score
Thanks. Can you elaborate on why they don't work with Tama's die cast hoops? I found out about these on the Tama Starclassics Facebook page, but I certainly don't want to order them and then find out they don't work on my Starclassic Maples.

Ptrick

Reaction score
Thanks. Can you elaborate on why they don't work with Tama's die cast hoops? I found out about these on the Tama Starclassics Facebook page, but I certainly don't want to order them and then find out they don't work on my Starclassic Maples.
I read the hole isn’t big enough on the Tama die cast hoops, but I honestly haven’t tried it. My Tama bell brass has TightScrews on it now without sleeved washers.

But, I will try it out today! I have both some of the Hendrix/sleeved and the DFD that I’ll try, and report back!

Last edited:

Rick

Reaction score
I read the hole isn’t big enough on the Tama die cast hoops, but I honestly haven’t tried it. My Tama bell brass has TightScrews on it now without sleeved washers.

But, I will try it out today! I have both some of the Hendrix/sleeved and the DFD that I’ll try, and report back!
Thank you so much!

Latest posts