Sleeved Washers or related products, do they really work?

ae wright

Reaction score
I know that this kind of products work for several purposes, but to be honest, I only want to use them to eliminate the detune of the tension rods, in my case I'm going to use them for the snare. Now I only have the metal washers that came with it, so I'm planning to add the sleeved washers. But, if my only goal is to eliminate the tension rods from detuning, are they worth it? will they do the trick?

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
you mean serrated? serrated I used to have batter side on a Premier snare and they never budged

bpaluzzi

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I've used these for a bit on a few kits and snares. They don't do anything to prevent detuning. I've also found that they're problematic for drums that have tight tolerances with the interface between tension rods + rims -- they can cause binding.

paul

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I use nylon washers on my 8x14 Ludwig snare. One lug especially came loose when I played a lot of rim shots. I put washers on all 10 lugs and it's been much more stable.

The washers are pretty cheap. Buy a set and try them out. Much more useful than expecting a consensus of any kind here.

Ptrick

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Any idea how they compare with the dfd nylok ones ?
They both work well. Nylok ones can have batches that are stickier than others, and under repeated head changes, I think the tightscrews hold up better. The price on the Nyloks are nice, though.

Tommy D

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I haven't had any problems with my drums detuning in years. The only drum that ever had problems was my old Tama Rockstar snare which had 1.6mm hoops. I'm thinking the constant rim shots would cause the rim to flex and in turn detune the snare. All my modern drums have held their tuning.

I like the sleeved washers just to eliminate metal on metal contact. I find tuning to be much easier when the tension rod is not binding up on anything and that's exactly what the sleeved washers help with.

As for tight screw tension rods, I've never used them. I have heard of people putting thin fishing line in to the receiver nut and tightening the tension rod in it. It works on the same concept as the tight screw rods.

Last edited:
Reactions: JDA

amosguy

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just an FYI - most all the washers are for the normal #12 rods. I bought some for a '70 Sonor teardrop snare but the rods are 1/4" and the washers were too small.

frankmott

Humble (drum) shop-keeper
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
While well intentioned, sleeved washers, strike me as yet another example of addressing a problem that doesn't exist.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Sleeved washers aren't designed to help prevent detuning. They help to make tuning smoother because they keep the tension rods from rubbing against the rim. In that regard, they do work. I use them and can notice a different when tuning.

underratedcowbell

Reaction score
Yes, like some other have said, sleeved washers aren't designed to help prevent detuning. For detuning purposes I use some plumbers tape around the rod.

henrikrathje

Reaction score
best detuning gadget: tried em all.. tightscrew. BUT impossible to live with

next best: Tama SRW620P Hold Tight Washer

or actually best, almost as good as tightscrew but without the super tight feel that prevents you from feeling the tuning with a drum key!

and they hold the tuning WELL!.. often I can go through several hours of studio sessions before needing to fine-tune the snare again.. toms and BD last for more than a session or gig.

Drumbumcrumb

Reaction score
The sleeved washers don’t do anything for detuning, but they do ‘work’. They keep everything smooth and even while tuning, and do a perfect job of keeping metal off metal. Type of washer makes a big difference on some drums more than others, but I haven’t found a drum that doesn’t like sleeved washers. I have had issues with metal washers, and especially with squishy washers like Tama’s cup washers with a rubber insert, or leather. I buy the 100 piece bags of sleeved washers from DfD and put em on everything.

If you really need to keep from detuning, the surefire way is to use anything that physically stops the rod from turning, like Tunerfish, the plastic squares, etc. OR you can stop it from the bottom with something like a knurled brass stopnut that’ll lock up against the lug. You can get these at Lowe’s pretty cheap:
5F3334D5-2D3F-4080-8EF5-E20AF2BE7354.jpeg

LRod1707

DFO Master
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had the DFD nylon ones (Hendrix clones) on my old kit and they didn't help at all with holding a tune. That wasn't my primary goal though. I wanted to get rid of the metal to metal contact and for that they worked great. As suggested already, I'd give the tighscrews a shot!
Here is another option, tension rod locks: