Sleishman Drums

Jordan Blue

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The whole kit is free floating, interesting concept. This is the first time I've seen them in a live situation. Not too shabby sounding.

Blackdog

Reaction score
The whole kit is free floating, interesting concept. This is the first time I've seen them in a live situation. Not too shabby sounding.

I've got a bubinga sleishman kit (8,10,12,14,16,20) plus an ironwood snare. Sounds awesome live.. Full, rich and incredibly beautiful.

Ludwig26

Reaction score
I've owned one,
& Only reason I sold it,
Is/was not a fan of "power"/deep Tom's,
I couldn't etc get my cymbal stands close enough,

Because of the Tom's,
Also you can't get different tone between top&bottom heads,
Because one tunes the other,
Also cases aren't cheap,
Because of extra depth/room needed because of the cage system,
Fwiw/imho, the audience &even listeners can't tell the difference,
Anyway between free-floating&non-free floating drums,
By the time they go through,
All of the compression, eq, gates, signal processing,
You never ever get the pure acoustic sound anyway.

Formula 602

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I got to meet Mr.Sleishman in Australia..around 22 years ago....A Drum Guy I knew by Sydney drove me out there one day....He was working out of an industrial type complex....

Reaction score
I have a Sleishman 7x12 ADM Jarrah Stave Snare. NOTHING can "improve" on the sound of a Jarrah Block snare (for THAT specific "Brady" sound!) But the addition of the Sleishman system does offer an nice option.

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE my 7x13 Brady Jarrah Stave! When it's cranked there is a cool natural compression that occurs, that's just part of the Brady's voice. As an aside that drum also sounds incredible tuned down as well. It's a very versatile drum.

However, with the smaller drum AND the Sleishman system, that compression doesn't occur, so it's a different sound, not better or worse just different. It's an "alternate" sound to the traditional cranked up Brady Stave "Love Shack" or "Snakes" sound (which have a good deal of studio compression on them already.)

I "think" the lack of tension on the wood (because of the Sleishman system) allows the drum to "speak" a little clearer. Yet the thickness the stave construction does offer some natural "deadening," and the hardness of the wood creates a great bark.

All in all it's a great sounding drum that benefits form all of its components, including (and importantly) the Sleishman Free Floating system!

Sorry, I've never played any of their other drums, but the system is well constructed and IMHO well conceived. It fits in 8x12 (or a 7x13) case just fine too.

Hope that helps,
MSG

Ludwig26

Reaction score
The "Love Shack" snare isn't a Brady snare its a Ludwig Black Beauty 14X6.5,
Charley Drayton played on that song,
But Zac Alford? ,
Was in the video clip,
The same snare sound is on Keith Richards X-Pensive Winos albums "Talk is cheap" & "Main Offender".

Latest posts