Sliding off drum stool

bthiemann80

Reaction score
I currently own a Tama 1st chair round seat throne. It's the basic one with vinyl/pleather covering. Problem is that when I play I noticed that lately I've been sliding backwards and have to occasionally move forward to stay seated. Before I go and drop a bunch of money on a new drum throne, can anyone tell me if this is something I can remedy by re-positioning the throne or alter my technique or should I just bite the bullet and get a Roc n Soc or Pork Pie or what have u?

amosguy

DFO Master
Reaction score
Assuming you checked to see the seat is not loose and base is secure, have you changed the height recently? Is the seat still flat when set up? Since it is round, put some tape on one edge. When you feel like you are sliding back, rotate the seat to a different position. See if that make a difference.

Slippy

a.k.a "slow feet"
Reaction score
PopsOls Skins said:
Get the Roc n Soc, your cheeks will thank you.
I agree 100%.... before i bought my first roc-n,soc (about 12 years ago) i played on a yamaha standard throne. it was old and very hard on my a$$. I bought the thractor seat style and other then a Pork Pie i dont think i would use anything else.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
I'm going to assume that the bottom of the seat connects to a metal plate (the metal plate which you connect to the top of the throne base spindle). If it is bolted on there, is there a way to put some plastic spacers/shims/washers in between the seat and the plate - if you were to put them in back, it would tilt the seat slightly forward, get what I'm saying? You'd be surprised how difference an 1/8" will make.

(I saw this with my SoundSeat - you can adjust the pitch of the seat in this manner. It has four bolts - 2 front, 2 back, and different sized washers in between)

xsabers

World's Second Most Okayest Drummer
Reaction score
bthiemann80 said:
I currently own a Tama 1st chair round seat throne. It's the basic one with vinyl/pleather covering. Problem is that when I play I noticed that lately I've been sliding backwards and have to occasionally move forward to stay seated. Before I go and drop a bunch of money on a new drum throne, can anyone tell me if this is something I can remedy by re-positioning the throne or alter my technique or should I just bite the bullet and get a Roc n Soc or Pork Pie or what have u?
Um, I was at your last gig. Not sure the throne was the problem...

:laughing6:

Last edited by a moderator:

swarfrat

tympanus laqueus XV
Reaction score

He's pretty solid on the RnS - only fallen off it if he's way overreaching for something.

I just got an otherwise solid Yamaha that's short, but missing all foam and upholstery. Maybe I should bolt the Bumbo to it?

devinw

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Um, I was at your last gig. Not sure the throne was the problem...

:laughing6:
LMAO... Damn that dude is WASTED

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Really hurt myself recently. Was in a drum shop, checking out a kit.
I had to adjust the seating position some, and as always, lifted the seat with two hands to get back a few inches.
The seat was not tighted onto the legs at all, and it totally lifted up, and off. I went flying backwards and landed on my tail bone, right forearm, and my left shoulder. I knocked over half of the next set, and some cymbal stands when I landed. The owner was relaxed about it and picked everything up after I finally collected myself enough to move. OUCH ! Big bruises in two places after a few days. I hinted that he should check all seats. He said it had never happened before.
I'm a regular there, so I didn't make a stink. My point is, shouldn't all seats be tightened in drum shops, or was it my fault ?
Took weeks to start feeling better, and for the bruising to go away. Oh, I've always been accident prone, so I guess I was was due again.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
Blaze148 said:
I had to adjust the seating position some, and as always, lifted the seat with two hands to get back a few inches.
The seat was not tighted onto the legs at all, and it totally lifted up, and off. I went flying backwards and landed on my tail bone, right forearm, and my left shoulder. I knocked over half of the next set, and some cymbal stands when I landed. The owner was relaxed about it and picked everything up after I finally collected myself enough to move. OUCH ! Big bruises in two places after a few days. I hinted that he should check all seats. He said it had never happened before.
I'm a regular there, so I didn't make a stink. My point is, shouldn't all seats be tightened in drum shops, or was it my fault ?
Took weeks to start feeling better, and for the bruising to go away. Oh, I've always been accident prone, so I guess I was was due again.
In a perfect world, yes, all seats should be tightened in a drum shop, and all drivers should stop at red lights. I think you catch my drift. By your own admission, you are accident-prone. I think the drum shop gets a pass on this one.

I'm glad you were not seriously injured!

To the OP:

Back in our perfect world, you should be well-enough balanced when you play that you do not exert a lot of backward force. In the world we live in, I think you would benefit from a good tractor-seat type throne. I have a one covered in velour and it is comfortable in every way.

I typically don't refer to any drum purchase as an "investment", but in this case, it is an investment in your physical well-being. Get out the wallet and for this once, let your butt do the thinking ;)

blueshadow

Just Shuffling along
Staff member
Reaction score
Used to use a roc n soc that the top would get airlocked on to the base. One night packing up, after having a few cold ones, I shook the top to get the base off, got it off packed up and went home. Next morning woke up and top of my foot hurt like hell. I evidently shook the base off and landed it right on my foot.

agogobil

Drum Czardine
Reaction score
Blaze148 said:
I'd be careful when using the ketchup or steak sauce bottle at restaurants. Jus' sayin' ...

glaze148

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
agogobil said:
I'd be careful when using the ketchup or steak sauce bottle at restaurants. Jus' sayin' ...
I'll bring along safety glasses, and bike helmets for the others diners. Thanks for pointing that out. LOL

doctor dirt

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
If you plan on sitting behind drums as often as you can for as long as you can you'd better realize now you need to protect your can!

Your future back condition has alot to do with cheap drum throwns. Spend on a well made seat with a good profile and pay attention to your posture when behind your kit. Back pain is a common aliment for drummers and its not a joke when back pain stops you from the simpliest
activities.
Don't go cheap on a seat, your butt is on the line................ :idea1:

Latest posts