Slightly OT: Pet peeves...musical & otherwise

Heartbeat

Advanced Heart Guru
Reaction score
When the sound man starts mic'ing your drums the second you get them out of their cases, before you've had a chance to place them where you want them. Leave me the crap alone until I'm ready for you! And move your freakin' cables out of my way!

Stretsch

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
People telling me how to play.

People who don't know the difference or don't care about:

Their, they're and there.
Your and you're.
Too and to.

Padded bras.

stickinthemud

DFO Master
Reaction score
Spooky said:
pet drumming peeves,
at tear down, when I want to pack up my stuff. ( I don't think I am alone in this)
and either the guys in the band, or a random person wants to help...
no one except my Mum or Sister know the ( OCD) way I like to do this!! :banghead:
or even worse, if you are playing before another band, and their drummer , who wants you out the way, and starts taking your stuff...
Usually me, or my sis or Mum, will grab all my breakables and pack them up back stage to save time.

:happy11:
Spooky
Spooky,

There's an easy way to deal with these situations. For the unwelcome "helpers", just say, "Oh, thanks. Would you mind folding up my cymbal stands?" By the time they figure it out and get one folded, you'll be packed up and halfway through a soda.

For the pushy next drummer, just say, "You'll want to be sure was your hands after handling my gear, I have a really bad cold." Actually it might be more fun to leave off the part about having a cold.

BTW, as you have told us, your Mum is great!

-People who respond to you complaints with suggestions that probably won't work.

fun2drum

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Spooky said:
at tear down, when I want to pack up my stuff. ( I don't think I am alone in this)
and either the guys in the band, or a random person wants to help...
...or even worse, if you are playing before another band, and their drummer , who wants you out the way, and starts taking your stuff...

:happy11:
Spooky
You're definitely not alone. I don't like anybody else's grimy little fingers touching my drum gear at a gig. :angry5:

DanC

"Get in, sit down, shut up, hold on"
Reaction score
Somewhere in Florida, behind a Rogers kit
Rich K. said:
+1 on the dishes in the sink
+1 on the band taking up too much time between songs...I'm a relatively new member, so I keep my mouth shut.

Re: eBay....their company name is eBay, but their logo is ebay, so I guess both would be correct.

My peeves (among many)...

"What's it worth" posts on forums. There are many reasons why these bug me.

Referring to sparkle finishes as "glass glitter." "My Rogers snare is red glass glitter and my Slingerland is blue glass glitter." I think the only company that ever referred to a wrap as glitter was Premier.

And the ones that really bug me... it's / its and you're / your. Even the most intelligent folks don't get it...and it's VERY SIMPLE...when you use "it's" and you can't substitute "it is" then you have it wrong. My drum has all of its original heads...NOT it's original heads. Why is this so hard??? The possessive of it is its, not it's.

When you write "your" and "you are" will fit, then you should have written "you're." "Your looking for a new set?" should be "You're looking..."
Thanks (YOU'RE welcome not your welcome.)
Actually, there is a difference in wraps, despite what the companies called them in their catalogs.
Glass glitter wraps have actual crushed glass in them, while sparkle wraps use aluminum flakes or something similar. The confusion comes from the use of, for example, 'Blue Sparkle Pearl', in the Rogers catalog, when we vintage nuts know it's really glass glitter.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Jcob72 said:
I could care less! Grrrr!!
+1

This is another one that is so misused that it's becoming correct by default.

And while we're at it...can everyone please stop using the word "basically? "

Rich K.

DFO Star
Reaction score
DanC said:
+1 on the dishes in the sink
+1 on the band taking up too much time between songs...I'm a relatively new member, so I keep my mouth shut.

Re: eBay....their company name is eBay, but their logo is ebay, so I guess both would be correct.

My peeves (among many)...

"What's it worth" posts on forums. There are many reasons why these bug me.

Referring to sparkle finishes as "glass glitter." "My Rogers snare is red glass glitter and my Slingerland is blue glass glitter." I think the only company that ever referred to a wrap as glitter was Premier.

And the ones that really bug me... it's / its and you're / your. Even the most intelligent folks don't get it...and it's VERY SIMPLE...when you use "it's" and you can't substitute "it is" then you have it wrong. My drum has all of its original heads...NOT it's original heads. Why is this so hard??? The possessive of it is its, not it's.

When you write "your" and "you are" will fit, then you should have written "you're." "Your looking for a new set?" should be "You're looking..."
Thanks (YOU'RE welcome not your welcome.)
Actually, there is a difference in wraps, despite what the companies called them in their catalogs.
Glass glitter wraps have actual crushed glass in them, while sparkle wraps use aluminum flakes or something similar. The confusion comes from the use of, for example, 'Blue Sparkle Pearl', in the Rogers catalog, when we vintage nuts know it's really glass glitter.
Right...but we all know that if it's a Rogers it has the "glitter" type. And if you look it up, the words "sparkle" and "glitter" are pretty much interchangeable. No need to say you have a Rogers "red glass glitter" drum...it's red sparkle. It's not like Rogers gave you a choice.

pontiacrich

For Bongo & JM :(
Reaction score
A couple that haven't been mentioned:

1. Are you "for real"? WTH does "for real" mean??? It's either real or not - that's it.
  2. CFL's - the kind that take 30 seconds to get bright enough to see anything. When I turn on a light, it's because I need illumination immediately - not 30 seconds from now!
  3. "I know for a fact..." One of my former coworkers used this one a lot. It typically meant it was BS.
  4. The "selfie stick". One of my other hobbies is underwater photography - on my last trip I had some great shots ruined by that damn pole in my frame. Get that frickin' pole out of my way!
    As an aside - and actually more important - stop sticking that pole into the coral or resting it on the sponge!
  5. Also on the scuba diving - DO NOT TOUCH THE WILDLIFE!

Professor1

Reaction score
My biggest one as it relates to music is anyone other than me counting in a tune, then stating how slow or fast it felt to them with that "drummer f****d up" gaze! This also goes along with the lead player doing an intro at nowhere near the proper tempo and again shooting back the "drummer f****d up" gaze!

Keeper John

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
+1
Spot on Craig!
CSR said:
Do you realize how lucky we are to have these as pet peeves? Could be something like... (Yes, I used an ellipsis)
- I hate that with one leg I can't play bass and high hat at the same time.
- Dang. Couldn't feed the kids for the third day in a row.
- You know, if I don't sell all my drums, we'll be evicted again.
- You know, this Ebola is really a bummer!
- I wish I could see well enough to read scores these days, and I wish I could still hear well enough to still play with my iPod or a band.
When you get right down to it, the fact that we have pet peeves (and,yes, I have 'em, too) makes us pretty lucky guys and gals.

Cauldronics

DFO Master
Reaction score
- attitude from anyone whose paycheck I'm supporting by doing business with them

I don't care if you're young and hormonally challenged, or older and just having a bad day. If you can't say hello or thank you after I do (should be *before* I do), or you dont make eye contact, or you pass me the receipt like you want me to get out of your face, I'm about a few short words away from asking your manager how you got hired, although I've only done it once, with someone who pulled all of the above plus scowling at me and everyone ahead of me.

I'm spending g money in your establishment and not even close being a jerk. Don't give me attitude!

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
After three of these threads in a year's time, and with many of the same complaints, I'd say the peeves are definitely pets.

Funkymotor

Reaction score
leaf blowers. I'm trying to wind down outdoors listening to birds or the wind rustling leaves, then....RUUUUUUMMMMM.....RUM...RUM...RUM...RUUUUUMMMMM. Man, once in the spring and once in the fall is cool, but otherwise, get your lazy self a rake.

Titus Pullo

DFO Master
Reaction score
I'll gladly sift through niggling grammar mistakes if the effort take me to an original or funny thought.

W&A Player

DFO Star
Reaction score
xsabers said:
Maybe your preference, but I think "then" is more accurate to the majority on here...

The implementation of either interpretation is fine with me. That thought on the sign is almost as impossible to convey the intended message as trying to write this thought:

"There are three ____s in the English language".

What should be typed instead of the blank spaces? two?, to?, too? Or maybe even a fourth choice of 2? And, then how would the plural of each of them be spelled when it's improper to use and apostophe and an "s" to indicate the plural status?

Latest posts