header.nohb.html

Slingerland 140 - big love

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A couple of years ago, after hearing good things, I was compelled to train into NYC to buy one of these cheap from a guy down on Wall St.

Well, it was instant love.

Took it on a country/roots gig this weekend and was reminded why: It was just perfection all night. Sensitive, open, warm, fat, deep, clean. Huge "spread" to the sound. I just had to shake my head at numerous times. This "student" drum is probably not supposed to sound this good! But it does.

I'm speaking about the 8-lug version here, although there are 6- and 10-lug versions. The 8 seems to have a magic formula. The shell is just a rolled sheet of ribbed aluminum held together by a welded splint. It looks about as bare-bones as a metal shell can get. And yet it sounds incredible. Stick-saver hoops give rimshots that classic rounded, woody Slingerland vibe. Rapid throwoff is simple and solid.

Just a fantastic drum that sounds WAAY better than typical prices would suggest.

I can't be the only one.

1664769264486.png

Drums

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
There are a good number of the ribbed aluminum ones out there but you mostly see the 6 lug version I think. I have the earlier “orange peel” 6-lugger and love it. It only sees action on certain gigs with certain kits, but it is superb. I’d like to hear the 8 lug version—I may have to look for one. (What do you know, there’s one on Reverb right now.)

charlesm

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
There are a good number of the ribbed aluminum ones out there but you mostly see the 6 lug version I think. I have the earlier “orange peel” 6-lugger and love it. It only sees action on certain gigs with certain kits, but it is superb. I’d like to hear the 8 lug version—I may have to look for one. (What do you know, there’s one on Reverb right now.)
Quite a few 8-luggers out there, too. There are a bunch on MGR as well.

vintagemore2000

DFO Star
Reaction score
They are absolutely awesome and underrated. I've owned all three flavors 6 an 8 and 10 lug versions. in my experience the 8 lugs are the most readily available. I've owned at least 5 of them. I have an 8 lug version now, I've had rave reviews from several drummers asking what is that snare drum you're using.