Slingerland 18” bass drum. 5 ply?

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this 18x14 bass drum and I’m looking for more information. It appears to be a Slingerland from the 1970s and 5 ply. No extra holes. The shell has been painted gloss black and badge was removed/replaced for painting. The hoops and T rods appear to have been changed. All other hardware seems original. The set came with gloss black painted thin maple 12x8 and 14x14 Slingerland shells. All 3 badges were removed and replaced however I think the TT and BD got mixed up. With that, I believe the BD serial is 70xxx.

Any help and feedback is appreciated. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have this 18x14 bass drum and I’m looking for more information. It appears to be a Slingerland from the 1970s and 5 ply. No extra holes. The shell has been painted gloss black and badge was removed/replaced for painting. The hoops and T rods appear to have been changed. All other hardware seems original. The set came with gloss black painted thin maple 12x8 and 14x14 Slingerland shells. Spirit line? All 3 badges were removed and replaced however I think the TT and BD got mixed up. With that, I believe the BD serial is 70xxx.

Any help and feedback is appreciated. Thanks!
Why do you think the hoops and t’s were changed? They look correct. And yes five ply.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Why do you think the hoops and t’s were changed? They look correct. And yes five ply.
Thanks! This is good news. Just not familiar with 70s Slingerland. The T’s seemed very long and different when compared to the 60s. Now that lve looked at other 70s sets I can see they look correct. As far as the hoops, I figured evidence of an inlay or presumed they were to be metal like the Jet. Also, they just looked to good to be true. That being said, the drum is very clean and well maintained so it’s possible.

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I trust an early 70s 5 ply 18” BD is not common. It’s super fun to play and surprisingly full.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
When Slingerland changed the badge from black and brass to black and silver (approximately 1970), they also changed the design of the T-handle rods from the "cigar" or "barrel" shape to the shape of the ones on your kit. Also, in 1970 or thereabouts, Slingerland stopped putting color-matched inlays on their bass drum hoops in place of chrome (though I imagine that one could special order color matching).

As you probably have already realized, the five-ply shells, with (what I believe is) a forty-five degree bearing edge sound pretty good, albeit a bit louder with more attack than the three-ply re-ring shells that most are familiar with. Looks like a really nice kit. Enjoy!

drumtimejohn

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
When Slingerland changed the badge from black and brass to black and silver (approximately 1970), they also changed the design of the T-handle rods from the "cigar" or "barrel" shape to the shape of the ones on your kit. Also, in 1970 or thereabouts, Slingerland stopped putting color-matched inlays on their bass drum hoops in place of chrome (though I imagine that one could special order color matching).

As you probably have already realized, the five-ply shells, with (what I believe is) a forty-five degree bearing edge sound pretty good, albeit a bit louder with more attack than the three-ply re-ring shells that most are familiar with. Looks like a really nice kit. Enjoy!
Thanks! Your post is very helpful. Like many, I’ve been in the hunt for a vintage 18” BD however never expected to find one like this. Without over thinking it I knew it both felt and sounded good. The extra volume fits my feathering style and for me any less volume would be disproportionate to the toms. The edge does appear closer to a 45 degree however is still a bit rounded at the point. Not has sharp as a Roger’s for example.

I’m also glad this BD checkouts as an original drum. Do we know when Slingerland stopped stamping the shells with “P” or “M” for example? The shell is a high gloss black now. How would I know if this drum was originally a painted/stained shell or wrapped?

Last edited:

Latest posts