Slingerland 1966 Champagne Sparkle bop 12/14/18 + Supra - all original - gigging kit

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
From Craig's List Wednesday night. Listed as a gold speckled Slingerland kit that wasn't advertised with any sizes on drums or Zildjian cymbals. And it wasn't real obvious in the seller's photos that it was a "small" kit. They got back to me the next morning with the 14/18 sizes. I had thought the floor tom might be small but didn't even think about the kick. Serial numbers of the kick and floor tom are within 33 of each other....Aug '66 on kick, Nov '66 on floor tom. The rack tom is about 400 numbers higher but no date inside. All numbers are 128XXX. This was a 1 owner gigging kit that played with a band(s) from the 60's to late 80's/early 90's. The owner stopped playing out....then passed away a couple years ago. Would have loved to talk to him about his kit and his experiences. The current seller probably hasn't had the kit more than a few days/weeks. I saw it within an hour of the CL posting.

Full kit with a rolling fiber gig box filled with everything needed including a little vintage metal can of repair parts. Camco leather strap drive hi hat stand, Slingerland strap drive kick pedal and flat cymbal stand. No idea why the original owner went sort of mixed hardware and non-Slingy snare. They may have preferred the Ludwig snare....many probably did back then. It sounds great with the kit. Nice to be the next owner of some thoughtful old time drummer's cherished legacy. Fortunately, the seller understood the notion of a complete original kit and kept it intact. So much "life" lived on these drums.

The shells are sweet inside and out - light tan chocolate milk - free of the usual cracking - Aug 1966 ink stamp on kick. The wrap is incredibly vibrant with lots of gold showing at some angles. The usual light wear on the outer black paint of the kick hoops....the inlay and inner black ring are very nice. I'm not going to touch up the kick hoop edges as this is the way it came. The Sept 20th 1967 Supra (405XXX) is very nice and looks 99% original down to the heads, snare wires, and snare cord....the batter head look to be a later 70's or early 80's Ludwig. A bit of light speckling rust on the Supra hoop creases but the shell looks completely pit and flake free. Just out of the gig box that Supra sounded boss. All the Slingy heads look original with metal frames - thin sheer plastic look - though only the floor tom reso head shows a Slingerland ink stamp. Chrome lugs and hoops on the Slingerland drums are nice, just some minor spotting. Slingerland stick saver hoops are COB.

Cymbals are cool with a 20" trans stamp 2250 gm ride that is just perfect to ride/crash and a paper thin 18" rivet crash 1950's small stamp at 1280 gms. Both are better than any Zildjians A's I've ever played. With only a single broken rivet in that 18" it sizzles for about 20 seconds. The hi hats were later 60's new beats 880/1315 gm but that green goo is going to be a battle to get off...if I even bother. Even if the goo all comes off, a shadow will be left behind where it ate into the finish. Those hats could have been purchased in 1968 or so, shortly after buying the kit. Though with the owner's obvious "jazz" feel, those new beats would have been pretty harsh compared to the ride and crash. But new beats do give that firm and cutting check that matched light-weight hats have trouble with.

Gold sparkle 60's has been my dream kit since I was 14 when my brother's garage band drummer had a '66-'69 Gretsch gold sparkle kit. But these do look very goldish in the right lighting....see photos. There is some extremely faint wrap mellowing just under the rims of the kick and rack tom. I couldn't see any on the floor tom. I'm not sure how one could expect a much nicer 50 yr old played-on kit unless it was wrapped up back in the 70's. This one may have been moth-balled since the late 80's. I measured all shells for roundness or cracks before buying them. Other than one lug position on the kick they were all very consistent. Forgot to check for trueness. Baseball bat bearing edges very clean with some very minute and short re-ring to ply sep in a few isolated spots....typically at the re-ring taper joint. I don't think they could be much cleaner. They couldn't have been gigged "that much" to still have 60's/70's style heads on them. The heads look old enough on the Slingerlands that I'd bet they're original heads....even if only 1 of the 6 is stenciled "Slingerland."

The original throne base is there but pretty rusty....it's a heavy beast for that era with an opening for a 1/2" stub shaft. The seller used that throne base for the ad photo right cymbal stand bottom and then mounted the cow bell and crash cymbal via the "L" arm.

Not much coming off in the Dawn bath on the snare stand, upper hi hat stand, and throne base. Oh well. The greenish gold "Victorian" velvet seat cushion sort of matches the kit color. Slingerland Tempo kick pedal is in very nice shape and on the original leather strap. Fortunately, the drums were all properly stored/wrapped for decades so they managed to survive beautifully. They could have ended up like the hardware. Seller's photos attached. Last few are mine....post general cleaning with soap/water and microfiber towels. Didn't touch the interiors except to remove lint and dust. Missing parts? One rubber foot on the floor tom and throne. That's it. The original owner made his own cymbal stand plastic sleeves. And they worked as the ride and crash cymbals show no ovaling or key holing. Been looking for a "right" Slinglerand kit for about 8 months. I was close a few times. Fortunately, I didn't settle.

Attachments

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My first rail mount since 1975. And the rail mount is not very easy to find both a comfortable and working position where the mount and tom lower hoop aren't in contact, and the top head is angled for easy rim shots. I tried dozens of positions. Finally gave this center mounted position a whirl....the mounted tom is almost "in your lap." It allows an 18" cymbal to the right....but not a 20". Based on the heavy wear marks on the rail mount chrome, the original owner probably played in this same style of center mounted tom.

Sort of nice to have everything so close to you in this set up....minimal reach. Kick drum pedal is right about where I'd be normally on my 22-24" kits. I might just get used to this though. In any event it will challenge my hands and arms to do something new. Left the original owner's batter side kick felt strip intact. That's the only muffling on the kit other than the sock I placed between batter head and pedal. Not bad so far. Tuning kicks is always hard for me. I want to experience playing this just like he did in the 60's.

best 2.jpg

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I'd have been tinkled "pink" to just find this kit in 12,16,20 which I thought it was from the photos. I'd have paid up for those kit sizes too in this condition. I've seen very few gold or pink sparkle Slingerland kits in my area (NYC to Boston) the past year....and a couple that did show up were usually in rock sizes like 18/24 tom/kick. Not that those aren't great, I already have kits in those sizes. I wanted "smaller."

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
After 2 days of soaking, the rust won on the throne. But I got it working despite the stop for the lower slide collar not functioning. Either the collar has spread open a bit or the little dimples on the shaft wore down....or both. For now I put a hose clamp down there.

I'd guess it's a Walburg and Auge throne based on the beefy construction and that "Buck Rogers" style of height adjuster clamp arm. Based on the main shaft wear ring, the original owner was about my height. Same 23" setting works for me. Though the foam on the seat collapses about 1" when you're on it....basically riding the wood base underneath it. It's pretty functional. I just might use it. And the hi hat stand came back to life with some lubrication giving a decent 1-1/2" throw. I might use that too. That just leaves the kick pedal.

Attachments

Last edited:

bongomania

DFO Master
Reaction score
Cool set, cool find! I happen to use the same throne as my gig throne, but with newer padding, and I put some heftier rubber feet on it.

JDA

DFO Master
Reaction score
"I" might have to trade ;) that Supraphonic for a nice matching brass GK type chrome Slingerland 5x14..; )
to make it all one sound/brand/

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Finished all I could do on the stands. So set up everything in the original configuration to take photos. It may have been as long as 20-30 yrs before it was last assembled as a playable kit. Everything functions pretty well, even the kick pedal following an adjustment on the strap length. Kick tunes up ok with the only muffling being the original batter head vertical felt strip...the way I got it. A tighter tuning on both heads seem to work best. In looking around for some extra top cymbal felts and wing nuts....only to find they were in the spare parts can (along with spare kick spring, multiple cymbal sleeves, and other "needy" items).

Thanks for all the kind comments and "likes."

Update for 6/10/19. Finally got these at the tuning I wanted.....pure 60's classic light rock and jazz vibe. The drums sound just like what I hear with mid-60's Beatles, Cream, Stones, Ventures, Phil Specter, etc. That "wall of sound." Resonant toms and sizzly 1950's Zildjian A cymbals. Loving it.

Attachments

Last edited:

lanebune

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Beautiful set! Here is a close up of my Avatar pic. This is a 1963 Red glass Slingerland BOP
Lane3.jpg
Lane3.jpg18, 12, 14 and 6 lug snare. Believe me you're going to love that set.

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wonderful 1963 RG Slingerland Bop Lanebune. It looks new. I had a little practice getting ready for a Bop kit using a 1960's MIJ red sparkle "modern jazz kit" that was basically a pretty close Slingerland clone (born a 12,14,20 and later converted to a 5 piece 12,13,14,20....Doh!). Even the MIJ's got drilled. I spent 2 months playing that kit nearly every day....literally the "warm up" act. Sounded good too.

IMG_20190310_112234.jpg

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute, you've got a wife who likes looking at pictures of your vintage drums??!!

That's just not fair...
Yes. Very understanding and she really likes pretty sparkle kits. When I sold "her" Zildjian "sizzle" cymbal about 2 months ago she was a bit perplexed (too heavy for my tastes). Fortunately, this kit came with an even better (lighter) 18" 1950's sizzle ride/crash....that she likes even more. In fact I've picked up 2 wonderful replacements since selling "her" cymbal. And both are better. And a 21" med-thin 50's sizzle is on its way to join them all. She'll really like that one.

Lanebune, I'm already loving this set. Even the slightest tap brings them alive. And unlike the other bop sized toms I had, these Slingerlands sing louder and ring more beautifully at all volumes. Rim shots are off the charts....probably the stick-saver brass hoops speaking. The variety in sounds and effects these can produce at all volume levels is surprising. My other kits couldn't do all this.

And the Supraphonic is just superb. So sweet, yet nicely resonant for a metal snare. All my other metal snares are considerably harsher. The couple of vintage brass snare drums I've had weren't as sweet either. I put it up head to head tonight against my Black Galaxy Acrolite. They aren't far apart at all....but the '67 Supra wins by a couple lengths. It has more sensitivity that any other snare I've owned (well, maybe a tie with my 1946 Ludwig and Ludwig Standard) such that the lightest touch gives you the same sound quality and crispness as a stronger stroke. I've been wondering when I'd run into one someday. And now understand why it has the reputation it does.

The parts in the kit included a couple of old drum keys, one a WFL inside a diamond. The huge cowbell is ancient, probably 20's or 30's, and not for drums. A real cowbell with an internal eyelet for a metal clapper with edges folded, and 2 rivets per side. Has a much different ring than drummer cowbells....with much more ring/sustain. Loud as heck too.

Last edited: