Slingerland be-bop

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Was searching my channel and found this from 3 years ago.

I love the sound here.

If you want to try and guess what heads these are dont look at the first few seconds of the video.

Vintage Slingerland 12x8, 14x14, 16x13 bass drum and 14x8 ludwig Coliseum

These are NOT coated ambassadors.

Since there are only 395 views in 3 years I figure most of you haven't watched this. Use headphones
Enjoy

Skeet6

Reaction score
4 posts in 10 minutes? Ok! Ok! It sounds great, nicely tuned LOL
Mike B

komodobob

DFO Master
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Where are you playing Tom?

moondrum

Reaction score
Was searching my channel and found this from 3 years ago.

I love the sound here.

If you want to try and guess what heads these are dont look at the first few seconds of the video.

Vintage Slingerland 12x8, 14x14, 16x13 bass drum and 14x8 ludwig Coliseum

These are NOT coated ambassadors.

Since there are only 395 views in 3 years I figure most of you haven't watched this. Use headphones
Enjoy

Great sounding vintage Slingerland kit.Is that the kit in the photos? is that a 14x16,8x12 and 14x14 Slingerland kit? We’re they recovered in pink sparkle? I have a early 60’s Slingerland kit in 14x18, 8x12,14x14 in red glass glitter. The only problem is that the bass drum is faded on the top so it looks like Tangerine sparkle and not red sparkle. Other from the cosmetic problem there are no extra holes and sound great.The person I bought them from said they were three orphans put together Two of them have mahogany interiors with maple re rings and one of the others has maple interiors with maple re rings. They are also very light weight which I like.Someone I know has one of those late 50’s early 60’s Slingerland kits in black with 14x16 bass drum ,8x12 and 14x14 with a early COB Slingerland snare. It had a Roger Swivomatic Tom holder Installed so there are no extra holes.They sound great but he wants $3,000! Is that too much?

Attachments

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
16x13 bass drum but yup pink glass glitter precision drum company rewrap

$3000 is way too much imo

This 12x8" is late 1960s with reinforcement rings. Im not 100% sure of shell material...its a dirty blonde color so probably maple

I think i found some sweet spots in this video where it sings.

I love the gretsch tone too but struggle with the feel of hitting a gretsch drum. Its the die cast rims..i dont like how it feels in my hand/forearm after I hit it...with Slingerlands...they feel better...more forgiving...but just enough...i like the stick saver hoops.

This is a warm vintage tone.

Last edited:

Houndog

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
$3,000 is crazy talk . I know of a factory 16/10/13 Slingerland for $3,500 though . It might be worth it ??

moondrum

Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. What in your opinion would be a fair price for that Slingerland in black Nitron.? It’s four drums 14x16,8x12, 14x14 and a COB Slingerland from the same era plus the original Roger Tom mount. No extra holes. With the way things are going and the shortage (to say the least) of gigs I should probably be satisfied with the Slingerland bop kit I have plus the seven other vintage kits!

tkillian

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for getting back to me. What in your opinion would be a fair price for that Slingerland in black Nitron.? It’s four drums 14x16,8x12, 14x14 and a COB Slingerland from the same era plus the original Roger Tom mount. No extra holes. With the way things are going and the shortage (to say the least) of gigs I should probably be satisfied with the Slingerland bop kit I have plus the seven other vintage kits!
Omg. Don't take this the wrong way.
You have eight kits?

Yes. You should be satisfied.
I have one gigging kit. My Slingerlands.
Im not an expert on prices so I don't know. $1500-$1600?

You don't need it.

But you obviously have the $..so have fun...offer $2000.

Life is short. Go for it if u have $

moondrum

Reaction score
$3,000 is crazy talk . I know of a factory 16/10/13 Slingerland for $3,500 though . It might be worth it ??
Yes, I know in the Slingerland book they show from one of they’ve catalogs a kit that comes with a 16,10,13 So that is probably worth more than the 16 bass with a 12 and 14 inch tom. Maybe that kit would only be worth $2,000.?

moondrum

Reaction score
Omg. Don't take this the wrong way.
You have eight kits?

Yes. You should be satisfied.
I have one gigging kit. My Slingerlands.
Im not an expert on prices so I don't know. $1500-$1600?

You don't need it.

But you obviously have the $..so have fun...offer $2000.

Life is short. Go for it if u have $
Yes, I’ve been playing full time since the mid 70’s and was always interested in vintage kits. But I should really just stop even though late at night I’m cruising Ebay and Reverb! I have two Gretsch kits, two Rogers kits, two ludwig kits, the Slingerland kit I just mentioned and the newest kit was a 16,10,13 nesting kit I had made in Manhattan at Drummers World back in 2001.Of course I’ve only got some outsoor summer gigs since the virus cancelled everything. I told my wife that at the end of October when my last outdoor gig is I will be home with her every single night until probably spring or later of next year! She let out a blood curdling scream!!!