Slingerland bongos

MrYikes

Reaction score
My mother bought me a Slingerland bongo set back in 62. They had a normal rim and lugs, but the rim was higher than the head so that it tore up my fingers when I tried to play them. Have any of you seen anything like this?

MrYikes

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond, but no mine were nothing like those. The rim was higher than the heads. Mine had a wood block holding the two bongos together. There was no attachment for a drum set so eventually I drilled a hole in the block and set them on the center stalk on my Rogers kit. I tried to play softly on them with sticks but quickly broke the heads. It is possible that they were not Slingerland, it's been a long time. I do remember that they cost about $50, which was a lot back then. I was very disappointed in them.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I've never seen any Slingerland bongos, or any other brand, with rims like you described. Yes, they would certainly tear up your fingers and palms! I've looked through dozens of older Slingerland catalogs and there is nothing like this. I even have a set of MIJ bongos from the 60's, with Stick-saver style hoops and a wood block between the shells. But, the hoops still sit well below the heads. I'm really not sure what brand your mom got for you, but it doesn't sound like Slingerland, or any other US made bongos.

-Mark

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I found this set of vintage Gretsch bongos on eBay. The larger bongo has a hoop even with the top of the head, while the smaller bongo has a hoop well above the head. Could your bongos have been something like this? Click the link that says HERE

Keep in mind that these bongos don't have "bongo" heads, which is why the hoops sit higher!

HERE

MrYikes

Reaction score
Yes those are pretty close to what I had. They may even have been just like those. I don't remember the claw hooks, but it has been a long time. How were those to be played? As I said I was very careful in using sticks but I still broke the head. Using mallets didn't have the volume needed for 60s rock with Fender amps at 11. And of course you can see that you would tear up your hands with them. I am curious as to what a guy was supposed to do.

rock roll

Reaction score
Thank you for taking the time to respond, but no mine were nothing like those. The rim was higher than the heads. Mine had a wood block holding the two bongos together. There was no attachment for a drum set so eventually I drilled a hole in the block and set them on the center stalk on my Rogers kit. I tried to play softly on them with sticks but quickly broke the heads. It is possible that they were not Slingerland, it's been a long time. I do remember that they cost about $50, which was a lot back then. I was very disappointed in them.
There is a clamp style stand that you would have used with the block type holder.

Latest posts