Slingerland Build

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Some of you may remember back in the summer of 2011 when Purdie Shuffle turned us on to some found unfinished Slingerland shells. The only place I found shells like these was in the 1979 Slingerland Catalog. They are advertised as lacquered Brass. I've included a picture of the catalog page. I purchased one of these, drilled holes and robbed the parts off my 1979 Slingerland Spitfire (except for the 12 lug rims) for the project. The drum turned out great both in appearance and sound. I was pleased. Fast forward 9 years and she wasn't looking so pretty anymore as I had neglected to spray lacquer it in 2011. So out comes the Bar Keepers Friend and I got to work. I've included some pics of the tarnished look, the project in progress and the finished product. I'm once again pleased with the results. This time it got a couple coats of spray lacquer. Hopefully it will fair well over the years!

1979-slingerland-catalog.jpg 2011.JPG 2020 tarnished.jpg 2020 in progress.jpg 2020 completed.JPG

Last edited:

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Nice work!
I bought one of those shells too. Don't have a picture handy at the moment though.
Do you still have yours?
It's too bad all the pictures from the original thread disappeared. There were a lot of beautiful projects shown in that thread.

Last edited:

D. B. Cooper

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Hey there!
I've got one. 14x8. Snare beds, but no holes for butt and strainer. Which is good thing. I'm thinking about removing the laquer and just letting it patina and stain naturally.
Also, I'm currently in the process of having lugs made by Odery to fit the 4" hole spacing. It's going to be the snare in my current kit project which can be seen here:

I've been having trouble saving cash for the project, so it's taking me a while. But Im pretty sure I'm going to sell my motorcycle to free up some funds this spring.

Yours looks great. Looks like it's not a 12-lugger?

drummerbill

DFO Master
Reaction score
Some of you may remember back in the summer of 2011 when Purdie Shuffle turned us on to some found unfinished Slingerland shells. The only place I found shells like these was in the 1979 Slingerland Catalog. They are advertised as lacquered Brass. I've included a picture of the catalog page. I purchased one of these, drilled holes and robbed the parts off my 1979 Slingerland Spitfire (except for the 12 lug rims) for the project. The drum turned out great both in appearance and sound. I was pleased. Fast forward 9 years and she wasn't looking so pretty anymore as I had neglected to spray lacquer it in 2011. So out comes the Bar Keepers Friend and I got to work. I've included some pics of the tarnished look, the project in progress and the finished product. I'm once again pleased with the results. This time it got a couple coats of spray lacquer. Hopefully it will fair well over the years.
That came out really nice !! Great rescue !!
I found three of that era shells in a local high school dumpster, painted and scratched up. Removed paint, sanded down to remove scratches, and set them up for two friends. This is one has Asian 60s era hardware, and yes they sound good !
slingy rat rod.jpg

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
Do you still have yours?
It's too bad all the pictures from the original thread disappeared. There were a lot of beautiful projects shown in that thread.
Oh yes....I still have almost every piece of drum equipment I've ever owned. Mine was one of the shells that already had the lug holes and snare beds installed. I'll try to rustle up a picture.

REF

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I have never seen a snare drum bed dented in like that before. No metal snare I ever owned, or saw anyway. Is that common?

ARGuy

DFO Master
Reaction score
That was common up into the 60"s. As crude as it is, it works surprisingly well.

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Hey there!
I've got one. 14x8. Snare beds, but no holes for butt and strainer. Which is good thing. I'm thinking about removing the laquer and just letting it patina and stain naturally.
Also, I'm currently in the process of having lugs made by Odery to fit the 4" hole spacing. It's going to be the snare in my current kit project which can be seen here:

I've been having trouble saving cash for the project, so it's taking me a while. But Im pretty sure I'm going to sell my motorcycle to free up some funds this spring.

Yours looks great. Looks like it's not a 12-lugger?
Mine has 8 lugs. Good luck with your projects!

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
That came out really nice !! Great rescue !!
I found three of that era shells in a local high school dumpster, painted and scratched up. Removed paint, sanded down to remove scratches, and set them up for two friends. This is one has Asian 60s era hardware, and yes they sound good !
View attachment 430623
Wow. Nicely done. Beautiful!

Rufus T Firefly

Reaction score
Oh yes....I still have almost every piece of drum equipment I've ever owned. Mine was one of the shells that already had the lug holes and snare beds installed. I'll try to rustle up a picture.
Same for me. I could have drilled the lug holes but no way I could have crimped those snare beds.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
That looks really nice. Good work. Did yours come with the laquer on it?
I don't know, I didn't lacquer it myself, it's just as it came although I had to drill for the throw and butt and vent. I resisted the temptation to put a Slingerland badge on it, though I suppose that wouldn't be totally inappropriate. It has a cool patina which I hope will get better with time.

The guy that first brought these to our attention here at the forum was all about the patina. Unfortunately they shipped him one that had been polished up nice and shiny. He wasn't happy. I don't know if he returned it or what. I guess I was lucky as the patina definitely was one of the drawing cards. That and the price which was right around 100 bucks. Far be it from me not to jump on any DFO bandwagon coming down the pike, whether it's Ming snares, maple import Slingerland snare drums, sonor ride cymbals, or these shells. ;)

Latest posts