header.nohb.html

Slingerland Catalog 1965 4 piece with small tom on stand

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a nice VGC 65 Slingerland catalogue and noticed on p. 8 (= p.10 of PDF below) the "Jet" outfit with the small tom on a snare stand - "Note the floor stand for the 8 x 12 Tom Tom." It's already there in the '64 catalog and lasts thru the '67 one.

I can't recall another catalog of that era (Ludwig, Gretsch, Rogers are what I remember) showing the small tom on a stand? Anyone?

Also noted the batter side uses an 18" floor tom rim, wondering how the pedal attached.

[Nitpicking from my years as a journal (copy-) editor:

points off for "base drum" and "Bass Drum."
points off for listing the included #802 stand as being for snare and tom tom, followed by stand # 805 for the tom tom.
points off for the #805 stand noted "for the 8x12" and on p. 30 of catalog as # 805 "Buck Rogers" stand noted "for 13" and 14" drums."]

But leaving aside the skimping on editing, kind of cool to see a tom on a stand as a standard offering.

Last edited:

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
The "Jet" listing mentions a special clamp on pedal that is designed to snap on easily into a flange on the metal rim.
So that 18" metal hoop is specific to the Jet. Have never owned a Jet kit so can't comment on the hoop/pedal design.
Not having a rail mount on the bass drum makes it to set up or break down the kit. And the drum w/o a rail is easier to get into and out of drum cases/bags.

richardh253

DFO Veteran
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "Jet" listing mentions a special clamp on pedal that is designed to snap on easily into a flange on the metal rim.
So that 18" metal hoop is specific to the Jet. Have never owned a Jet kit so can't comment on the hoop/pedal design.
Not having a rail mount on the bass drum makes it to set up or break down the kit. And the drum w/o a rail is easier to get into and out of drum cases/bags.
Right, I understand the versatility etc. I did that in 1966 after seeing Dino Danelli do it. Been doing it since. Just saying I don't recall any companies offering setups that way, most came with shell mounts on the BD. Later on, with mounts hanging off cymbal stands, etc, + RIMS et.al. Now if you go to for example Maxwelldrums.com on reverb and look at all his new Ludwig kits, all the small toms are on snare stands.

Last edited:

1988fxlr

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Just perused your catalog link, I had no idea they made 6 1/2” festivals. I’ve never seen one

idrum4fun

DFO Master
Reaction score
Here's a "Jet" outfit I had back in 2003. Based on the fact that the floor tom brackets were the push-button design, I believe the set was from around 1965-66. The original Satin Flame wrap was in really bad condition and I had the shells wrapped in a beautiful Light Blue Pearl. I installed a Set-O-Matic tom mount and used the tom stand for the snare drum. The bass drum batter-side hoop was missing the fold-down tongue, but I found someone very familiar with this and he sent me a complete mechanical drawing, including the required tongue that the Tempo King pedal snapped onto. My machinist friend made me the complete hinge. Worked great! It works on the same principle as the #806 Dynamo hi hat foot board.

At the time, I wasn't aware of just how fairly rare these sets were. Had I known, I would have not added the Set-O-Matic and continued to use the 8x12 on the stand!

-Mark

Attachments

• MVC-001F.JPG
    MVC-001F.JPG
    61.2 KB · Views: 81
  • MVC-002F.JPG
    MVC-002F.JPG
    62.4 KB · Views: 75
  • MVC-003F.JPG
    MVC-003F.JPG
    41.4 KB · Views: 71
  • Mvc-005f.jpg
    Mvc-005f.jpg
    102.1 KB · Views: 67
  • MVC-007F.JPG
    MVC-007F.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 70
  • MVC-008F.JPG
    MVC-008F.JPG
    54.9 KB · Views: 68
  • MVC-009F.JPG
    MVC-009F.JPG
    54.5 KB · Views: 84
Last edited:

wingnutz

Reaction score
Here's a "Jet" outfit I had back in 2003. Based on the fact that the floor tom brackets were the push-button design, I believe the set was from around 1965-66. The original Satin Flame wrap was in really bad condition and I had the shells wrapped in a beautiful Light Blue Pearl. I installed a Set-O-Matic tom mount and used the tom stand for the snare drum. The bass drum batter-side hoop was missing the fold-down tongue, but I found someone very familiar with this and he sent me a complete mechanical drawing, including the required tongue that the Tempo King pedal snapped onto. My machinist friend made me the complete hinge. Worked great! It works on the same principle as the #806 Dynamo hi hat foot board.

At the time, I wasn't aware of just how fairly rare these sets were. Had I known, I would have not added the Set-O-Matic and continued to use the 8x12 on the stand!

-Mark
I just picked up a 65 Jet Outfit complete with all stands and hardware. The BD petal is missing the clamp that you describe. I'd really like to locate this piece and keep orginal rather then convert to wood hoops. You say you know a machinist that can make this piece?
This set cleaned up nice.

Attachments

• 20221215_115249.jpg
    20221215_115249.jpg
    71.7 KB · Views: 23

Philaiy9

Reaction score
Another interesting thing I noticed was on page 12 there's a 10" concert tom sitting on the bass drum. I know companies made add-on bongos but I didn't realize anyone was playing 10" rack toms in this era. Cool.

Rich K.

DFO Star
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another interesting thing I noticed was on page 12 there's a 10" concert tom sitting on the bass drum. I know companies made add-on bongos but I didn't realize anyone was playing 10" rack toms in this era. Cool.
I had one of these once. Had the 10 converted with a bottom head. Slingerland's 10" and later smaller toms were pretty sloppily made. The inside wood grain was verticle.