Slingerland "deluxe student" snare drum

dexter74

Reaction score
Here's an odd one.... "Deluxe student" model w/ a 5 ply shell!

5x14". [it's actually more like 5 1/4" deep.]

It's in nice overall shape w/ typical signs of use. No extra holes. Edges are VG. Heads fit on just a tad snug, but shell is in-round and drum tunes right up and resonates as it should. Muffler and strainer work well. Strainer still has original rubber stopper - mounting hardware for strainer looks unoriginal. COS hoops are in-round and in VG shape - though do have some random light spots of corrosion [can't really be seen a few ft. away]

All original tension rods are straight w/ good threads and their original washers. Wrap is pretty good w/ light wear, but does have a few chip spots on res side [see pics] which cant be seen w/ head on. I'm *pretty* sure black wrap is original, as the grommet doesn't show any funny business.

Heads are in above average shape w/ lots of life left. Near-new gibraltar 16 strand wires.

Drum has been completely detailed and looks as great as it sounds! $200.00, includes shipping to lower 48. Please PM me if interested. Thanks!

Attachments

Last edited:

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Yes, these Deluxe Student snare drums with 5-ply shells are a bit rare! I purchased this shell on eBay more than 10 years ago. The wrap had a burn spot and the drum must have sat in a window for a very long time! I stripped the wrap and sent it off to Precision Drum for a new Blue-white MP covering. The edges aren't very level, but I wanted to leave it as it was. I've since put the drum together, but don't seem to have any pictures. I didn't have a Rapid strainer, so had to substitute a P-85, which has the same hole spacing. The drum just sits in a box, so I really should offer it up for sale!

Looking through Slingerland catalogs, there's no mention of the Deluxe Student after 1976.

Another FYI, is that the majority of Slingerland's wood-shell snare drums tended to be 5.5", but mine was a bit under 5"! I guess the person cutting shells that day didn't measure very well!

-Mark

Attachments

dexter74

Reaction score
Yes, these Deluxe Student snare drums with 5-ply shells are a bit rare! I purchased this shell on eBay more than 10 years ago. The wrap had a burn spot and the drum must have sat in a window for a very long time! I stripped the wrap and sent it off to Precision Drum for a new Blue-white MP covering. The edges aren't very level, but I wanted to leave it as it was. I've since put the drum together, but don't seem to have any pictures. I didn't have a Rapid strainer, so had to substitute a P-85, which has the same hole spacing. The drum just sits in a box, so I really should offer it up for sale!

Looking through Slingerland catalogs, there's no mention of the Deluxe Student after 1976.

Another FYI, is that the majority of Slingerland's wood-shell snare drums tended to be 5.5", but mine was a bit under 5"! I guess the person cutting shells that day didn't measure very well!

-Mark
I also had one that was more like 4 3/4" deep. This one is more like 5 1/4" deep. Go figure.