Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King: How Bad Did I Get Cheated?

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
The badge grommet looks typical of the era to me.
Also, remember the seller may have honestly assumed every screw and rod was original - not all vintage drum sellers are vintage drum experts.

I don't remember offhand about the actual rod length 2" maybe? but your drum has the interior backing plates for the lug casings so that's a plus and definitely a 1960s brass shell. How many lugs 8 or 10? Did he include the Slingerland wireset? It should have end tabs with ridge bumps.

sorry, you can't play that card as a seller. if you state 100% original - it has to be. if you are not sure - say so.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
sorry, you can't play that card as a seller. if you state 100% original - it has to be. if you are not sure - say so.
You're such a wealth of information!
That's why it's puzzling that you've chosen to address me as if I'm the seller.
I'm not.

This is an "item not as described" case that you will win. Contact the seller and give them three options:
1) Provide correct original parts to replace non-original items as well as original snare wires.
2) Give a partial refund of $x (you decide how much) and you will replace the non-original parts yourself.
3) Give a full refund including return shipping.
Tell the seller if they do not respond you will open an "item not as described" case with the eBay resolution center. Sellers usually choose option #2. Overall your drum looks good (grommet has been tampered with) but you should receive what was advertised.
Um, I'm not the buyer.
but thanks for essentially repeating the same advice I already gave to the OP earlier in this thread.

p83

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
You're such a wealth of information!
That's why it's puzzling that you've chosen to address me as if I'm the seller.
I'm not.

Um, I'm not the buyer.
but thanks for essentially repeating the same advice I already gave to the OP earlier in this thread.
was commenting on your post. calm down.

jmetatual

Reaction score
Um, I'm not the buyer.
Easy there EvEn, I am aware you are not the buyer. I quoted your post because I agreed with you and wanted to add to your advice. I will edit my earlier post to make my original intentions more clear.

jb111

Reaction score
"I really like this drum a lot." That pretty much sums it up.

I understand the principle of wanting it to be "as advertised," but I also think some people get overly hung up on every little component. Most of these things usually have zero effect on how the drum sounds or feels. I don't usually see these going for $120 to $150 if they're indeed a 60s version that's as clean as yours looks. Regardless, we know that these are underrated drums, and definitely a good bang for the buck. I've had both sizes through the years and definitely enjoyed them.

You gotta do what makes you happy in the end—whatever quiets your mind. It might just be me, but unless you're a hardcore collector, most of us would do better to spend more time practicing and less time worrying about correct tension rods.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Great brass shell at a decent price. I have an early 70s 5” Sound King and it sounds amazing. Tune it up and enjoy it - congrats!

Skinsmannn

Reaction score
"I really like this drum a lot." That pretty much sums it up.

I understand the principle of wanting it to be "as advertised," but I also think some people get overly hung up on every little component. Most of these things usually have zero effect on how the drum sounds or feels. I don't usually see these going for $120 to $150 if they're indeed a 60s version that's as clean as yours looks. Regardless, we know that these are underrated drums, and definitely a good bang for the buck. I've had both sizes through the years and definitely enjoyed them.

You gotta do what makes you happy in the end—whatever quiets your mind. It might just be me, but unless you're a hardcore collector, most of us would do better to spend more time practicing and less time worrying about correct tension rods.
And if I can expand.....makes better sense to me to get parts and move on. The pitchfork crowd around wastes too much time on how to get even and righting perceived wrongs and destroying ones cred without so much as a simple phone call before putting an issue to the wisdom of all the armchair judges and lawyers around here.

curotto

DFO Master
Reaction score
Thanks for revealing additional insight regarding the seller and his statements. I'd say there's no harm in requesting he ship the wireset as promised and perhaps consider a reasonable partial refund of 25 or 30 bucks due to the incorrect and unmatching rods & screws. You also have the option thru ebay customer service to file a not-as-described claim if he's un-cooperative regarding these requests. What you received should match his description in the listing.
Agreed, EBay is very "pro-buyer" so you can go through the steps and even get a refund without much hassle.
And...if you keep the drum but are still not happy then NEG him, put him on your bidder block list and move on.

Mike Curotto

dancash409

Reaction score
I have been looking for a Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King and I thought I found one on EBAY. The serial number was 148213, it had 1960s hardware, was in good condition, and the owner told me it was all original. He said that the only thing that wasn't original was the snares, but not to worry, he would include the original snares with the drum when he shipped it. $250 shipped was the total. View attachment 448146 View attachment 448148 View attachment 448149 View attachment 448150 View attachment 448152 View attachment 448153 View attachment 448155

Then he lied about needing more money to ship it. Not a big deal to me, it was only $10.

Then the drum arrived. I was delighted. Then I looked and the two screws that hold the butt plate on didn't match and one was ridiculously long. Still not a big deal but warning bells were going off in my head.

So I took it apart to clean it. Then I noticed that the tension rods weren't all the same. They looked like Ludwig tension rods (1 7/8"). And then there was one that was longer and didn't match the other.

I contacted seller and he had a story about it must have happened during shipping and he would make it right. So you already know that he never made it right.

I looked at the badge plate and I can't tell if that is original or not.

The drum shell and hoops are brass. The other parts look 1960's to me based on pictures from Vintage Drum Forum and reading up on this snare drum.

So does anyone out there have a Slingerland Sound King? Does your badge look like this on the inside? How long are your tension rods? I want to find some original Slingerlands tension rods but I don't know what length they should be.

This is my first Slingerland so help a girl out and let me know what you think.
I have been looking for a Slingerland Gene Krupa Sound King and I thought I found one on EBAY. The serial number was 148213, it had 1960s hardware, was in good condition, and the owner told me it was all original. He said that the only thing that wasn't original was the snares, but not to worry, he would include the original snares with the drum when he shipped it. $250 shipped was the total. View attachment 448146 View attachment 448148 View attachment 448149 View attachment 448150 View attachment 448152 View attachment 448153 View attachment 448155

Then he lied about needing more money to ship it. Not a big deal to me, it was only $10.

Then the drum arrived. I was delighted. Then I looked and the two screws that hold the butt plate on didn't match and one was ridiculously long. Still not a big deal but warning bells were going off in my head.

So I took it apart to clean it. Then I noticed that the tension rods weren't all the same. They looked like Ludwig tension rods (1 7/8"). And then there was one that was longer and didn't match the other.

I contacted seller and he had a story about it must have happened during shipping and he would make it right. So you already know that he never made it right.

The drum shell and hoops are brass. The other parts look 1960's to me based on pictures from Vintage Drum Forum and reading up on this snare drum.

So does anyone out there have a Slingerland Sound King? Does your badge look like this on the inside? How long are your tension rods? I want to find some original Slingerlands tension rods but I don't know what length they should be.

dancash409

Reaction score
And if I can expand.....makes better sense to me to get parts and move on. The pitchfork crowd around wastes too much time on how to get even and righting perceived wrongs and destroying ones cred without so much as a simple phone call before putting an issue to the wisdom of all the armchair judges and lawyers around here.

I have been playing drums for many years, and I've owned many sets of Slingerland drums over the years. I have a great set of 1967 Slingerlands now. But I do not have the 1967 snare drum. However, I have owned several 1960's Slingerland snare drums over the years. You do not show a good photo of the Slingerland badge in your photos, but from what I can see, it looks like a 60's black and gold Slingerland badge. The important thing is that the shell is brass and the Slingerland stick saver hoops are brass, and you said they are. The other important thing is the strainer, and it looks good. I wouldn't worry about the tension rods or the snares too much. In my opinion, even though the seller lied, you still got a good condition Slingerland drum. If you will send me a Facebook friend request, I'll be able to show you a couple of videos of me playing the Slingerlands I now own, only with a Rogers Dyna Sonic (also brass) snare drum. It's too bad you didn't look around a little bit longer and find a Slingerland Krupa model with 10 lugs! My name is Daniel Casher...send me a FB friend request and maybe we can talk drums a little bit.

Mabel3Thumbs

Reaction score
I have been playing drums for many years, and I've owned many sets of Slingerland drums over the years. I have a great set of 1967 Slingerlands now. But I do not have the 1967 snare drum. However, I have owned several 1960's Slingerland snare drums over the years. You do not show a good photo of the Slingerland badge in your photos, but from what I can see, it looks like a 60's black and gold Slingerland badge. The important thing is that the shell is brass and the Slingerland stick saver hoops are brass, and you said they are. The other important thing is the strainer, and it looks good. I wouldn't worry about the tension rods or the snares too much. In my opinion, even though the seller lied, you still got a good condition Slingerland drum. If you will send me a Facebook friend request, I'll be able to show you a couple of videos of me playing the Slingerlands I now own, only with a Rogers Dyna Sonic (also brass) snare drum. It's too bad you didn't look around a little bit longer and find a Slingerland Krupa model with 10 lugs! My name is Daniel Casher...send me a FB friend request and maybe we can talk drums a little bit.
I am not on Facebook, but I appreciate the offer. Now I remember why the drumming community is so cool. Thank you for everyone's kind words of wisdom.

PayPal sided with me on this one and refunded all of my money. Then they went after him and froze the $250 I paid him. He has two billing cycles to either prove that I am wrong or just lose the $250.

I took everyone's advice and contacted him. I told him that if he will send the original snare wires then I will ask $30 for the tension rods and replace them. I took the forums $30 estimate for the tension rods and told the seller that I would pay him $220 ($250-$30 for the tension rods). He is fine with that. Hopefully he will send the original 1960's snare wires and this whole silly drama will be over. Both of us will have gotten a fair deal.

markdrum

Reaction score
That thing looks like it's in great condition. Usually they look like some kid who's undergoing a testosterone overdose used it for a basketball. Those are great drums and that looks like a fair market price. I wouldn't sweat having two tension rods that are different lengths. If they hold position and help keep the drum in tune then you're good! Enjoy it!

Latest posts