Slingerland guys - your opinions please

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
I picked up a late 70s early 80s blue sparkle set that came with metal inlays on the bass drum.
Was that a thing with the blue sparkle finish?
Having repaired the lifting seams, I have my suspicions that the kit was originally a veneer finish that was factory wrapped, in which case the metal inlays would make sense.
Anyway, I picked up some inlays from ebay and they're a pretty good match for the crushed glass, but the color is a little bluer in comparison.

I plan on selling the drums once they're finished.

Which inlay would you go with, the original to the hoop metal, or the pretty close sparkle?

1634655276081.png
1634655415118.png

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
(1 of each?) I don't think (...) it matters either look good
(chrome out front

Tama CW

DFO Master
Reaction score
Chrome inlays were the standard for most of the 70's Slingerlands. So your drum was most likely correct to begin with. They made the switch in the early 1970's (1973?).
I had '73/74 and '79/80 kits.....both original and with chrome inlays. If you have a "P" inked on your drum interiors, they came wrapped from the factory

Last edited:

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shells are 5ply with the "Slingerland" stamp on the interiors, no P or M.
The grommets look original to me as do the wrap seams lay up on the bass drum- i.e. the long piece over the short, and then the short piece over the long. In all the re-wraps I've seen, the short piece is glued down first and then the long piece.
It was hard to tell with the glue on the shell, but it looked more like one of the veneer finishes offered in the late 70s rather than a more porous mahogany. Also there is some inward splay on the tension rods, more noticeable on the toms.

Anyway, I'm guessing as far as re-sale value goes, it's probably best to go with metal?

little rock

Reaction score
I have five blue glass bass drums three ply early to mid-70s and they all have blue inlays. I have a set of white mid-70s three ply with metal inlay. I think they used whatever they had close. However, yours is the first and only blue glass with metal inlays I have ever seen.

jmetatual

Reaction score
ludwig 402, per Slingerland historian Dr. Carl Wenk the chrome inlays were used from mid '74 onwards. The "Slingerland" script ink stamps were used '77 -'79. Your 5-ply shell with script ink stamp and chrome inlays make sense. What are your serial numbers? Upper 200xxx's to lower 400xxx's is an approximate expected range for '77 - '79.

drumsforme

Very well Known Member
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have a 1977 Silver Sparkle 14x22" with metal inlay just like yours on the bass drum hoops as well and I've seen couple of others over the years.....

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
Honestly if I were buying I would rather have blue sparkle inlays. I doubt someone looking at this set is going to care if the inlays are original, especially if they don’t like the inlays (I wouldn’t like chrome ones).

ludwig402

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you for the replies and all the great info guys.

The serial numbers are in the 355xxx range, and the drums (12/13/16/22) originally had a Super Set-O-Matic which the seller sold separately. BD drilled for one set of spurs.

Like lossforgain, I prefer the look of sparkle, but now that I know that metal inlays were common in this era, I might as well stick with what was original to the kit.
Truth be told though, if the blues were a match, I'd definitely go with the sparkle giving full disclosure to prospective buyers.

Thanks again!

wflkurt

Deafus Maximus
Reaction score
I would personally leave them metal and include the blue sparkle ones in the sale in case the person decides they would rather go that way. They are only original once.

varatrodder

Very well Known Member
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I had some late 70's Slingerlands in white (78 or 79 I believe) and they had chrome inlays.

JDA

DFO Star
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I picked up a late 70s early 80s blue sparkle set that came with metal inlays on the bass drum.
Was that a thing with the blue sparkle finish?
Having repaired the lifting seams, I have my suspicions that the kit was originally a veneer finish that was factory wrapped, in which case the metal inlays would make sense.
Anyway, I picked up some inlays from ebay and they're a pretty good match for the crushed glass, but the color is a little bluer in comparison.

I plan on selling the drums once they're finished.

Which inlay would you go with, the original to the hoop metal, or the pretty close sparkle?

View attachment 523675 View attachment 523678
that's a beautiful set let's see some more pictures (more pics..

JohnnyVibesAZ

Reaction score
In MY opinion, the chrome looks cheap with the blue sparkle body. I like the matching sparkle inlay. I've seen some with silver sparkle inlays. Can't remember which year, though. Might have been Ludwigs.