Slingerland help please

Black Label

Reaction score
Hi there - I just scored this snare for an absolute steal (well I hope). It's being delivered tomorrow. But I know very little about Slingerland, it just looked like an interesting snare and I liked the wrap. It is an 8 lug snare. Please could the experts enlighten me on what it is that I purchased. Thanks a lot guys and keep safe.
Pic 1.jpg
Pic 2.jpg
Pic 3.jpg
Pic 4.jpg
Pic 5.jpg

jmetatual

Reaction score
60's 'Artist' model snare with 'Blue Ripple Pearl' wrap. Serial 46xxx would be expected for '64. Being a pre '65 there is a good chance this is a solid maple shell. Nice find. COB hoops would be original. All visible features appear correct. Should have the 'extended' snare butt.

Last edited:

b/o 402

Wacky old coot
Reaction score
Here’s a helpful page:

So, looks like an Artist model from the ‘60s in Blue Ripple Pearl. Apparently, it might even be solid shell, I.e. one ply with rings as opposed to 3 ply with rings.

Black Label

Reaction score
Hi there - thanks guys. Are these quite sought after drums? I managed to get these pics of the shell - not sure if these are one ply shells, looks like it may be various plies. Not sure. What do yo
pic 7.jpg
u think?
Pic 6.jpg

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looks 3 ply to me. Usually the 1 ply maple shell and maple re-ring gives the impression of the one wide strip of maple in the same color - no dark areas. So bands of darker wood usually means mahogany. Missing knobs are very common.

Black Label

Reaction score
Thank you guys. Now I know that I have a Blue Ripple Pearl 8 lug 14 x 5.5 Slingerland Artist series snare possible single ply maple but probably 3 ply Mahogany / Poplar / Mahogany. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

I do believe that the missing knob on the throw off is quite common. Are they easy to find on e-bay or where else would you guys suggest I look for one? Or should I not bother.

As for the wrap colour, was that Blue Ripple Pearl quite a common wrap in the day? It is interesting but I am undecided on whether I actually like it or not. Be that as it may, it is staying because it seems to be in reasonably good condition.

I cannot wait to receive this drum later today and polish it up a bit.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
As for the wrap colour, was that Blue Ripple Pearl quite a common wrap in the day? It is interesting but I am undecided on whether I actually like it or not. Be that as it may, it is staying because it seems to be in reasonably good condition.
Blue Ripple Pearl was available for all of the 1960s, finally disappearing from the swatch page with the advent of the 1970s. So it was readily available for a decade but isn't a color you see real often. Obviously it did sell well enough to remain in the catalog so it's probably not what you would call "ultra-rare" but it also isn't a wrap you run into all the time, like White or Black Marine Pearl or the basic sparkle colors.

You do kind of need the knob for the throw off to function properly. They were a friction fit so if someone tried to overtighten them they could strip out and fall off. Probably should be able to find someone who has a spare for sale. You should also replace those pieces of wire holding the snares in place with either snare cord or straps.

A bit of TLC and you will have a very nice snare there and if you got it cheap so much the better.

Black Label

Reaction score
Blue Ripple Pearl was available for all of the 1960s, finally disappearing from the swatch page with the advent of the 1970s. So it was readily available for a decade but isn't a color you see real often. Obviously it did sell well enough to remain in the catalog so it's probably not what you would call "ultra-rare" but it also isn't a wrap you run into all the time, like White or Black Marine Pearl or the basic sparkle colors.

You do kind of need the knob for the throw off to function properly. They were a friction fit so if someone tried to overtighten them they could strip out and fall off. Probably should be able to find someone who has a spare for sale. You should also replace those pieces of wire holding the snares in place with either snare cord or straps.

A bit of TLC and you will have a very nice snare there and if you got it cheap so much the better.
Thank you very much K.O., much appreciated. Yeah, those wires are the first things to go, that's for sure :) I paid, converted to dollar terms, $65 for it which I think is a good price. It was a price worth taking a gamble on, I thought. I will polish it up and post some pics! Keep safe guys!

levelpebble

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much K.O., much appreciated. Yeah, those wires are the first things to go, that's for sure :) I paid, converted to dollar terms, $65 for it which I think is a good price. It was a price worth taking a gamble on, I thought. I will polish it up and post some pics! Keep safe guys!
Haha, $65 was no gamble at all.

K.O.

DFO Star
Reaction score
At $65 you're golden and then some. Just the badge off the drum is probably worth at least half that much, not that I would condone parting it out. Well done.