Slingerland Hollywood Ace question

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Hi all,

What's a good general price to pay for a Hollywood Ace? I've been considering adding one, as I had the opportunity to try one out a few months back and I really liked the sound of it. There's a collector who lives close by who has several of them in showroom condition with all original hardware.

I don't want to lowball him, but I don't want to overpay either. This guy's full collection blew me away (lots of Ludwigs, Rogers, and Slingerlands), so he knows what he has and what he's doing as well.

Thanks in advance!

levelpebble

Reaction score
Correct, last year I sold a clean blue sparkle chocolate milk interior hollywood ace at $250 to go along with a nice matching early 70s 12 13 16 22 at $600. Everyone was happy.

franke

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to have one myself, and $250 is about right.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but these are at best mediocre snares.

EvEnStEvEn

~Lounge Lizard~
Reaction score
As stated, 250 is approx. the going rate, but like most everything they can be found for less depending on hoop style, era and condition.

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Thanks all,

I did see the one at the Pittsburgh Guitar Center, only about an hour from my location. It's nice and price is decent, but it doesn't have the stick savers. Another $35 from DFD would solve that I guess.

I know this snare hovered around the student to mid level in quality, but I really liked the one I played - it had a very distinct, short attack and worked well on the gig. My friend is not selling it, hence the semi-ongoing search.

I don't have a price from the collector I met this weekend but, as he stated, "everything's for sale." :)

I appreciate the info!

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
I used to have one myself, and $250 is about right.

Not to be a Debbie Downer, but these are at best mediocre snares.
Disagree... these are awesome snare drums. I prefer them to solid shell Artists and Radio Kings. The Student model radio kings are also great. (Same drum as Hollywood Ace but with clip single flange rims.)

thejohnlec

Reaction score
The Student model radio kings are also great. (Same drum as Hollywood Ace but with clip single flange rims.)
Interesting - I think he has one of these student model Radio Kings as well. It was a ply shell with stick chopper rims and clips, but it had a 3 point strainer with no extenders (and no extra holes where the extenders would be). What I've seen is that the student RK came with the Rapid strainer. Do you (or anyone else) know if they may have come with a 3 point strainer at some point?

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting - I think he has one of these student model Radio Kings as well. It was a ply shell with stick chopper rims and clips, but it had a 3 point strainer with no extenders (and no extra holes where the extenders would be). What I've seen is that the student RK came with the Rapid strainer. Do you (or anyone else) know if they may have come with a 3 point strainer at some point?
The late '50s ones would have a 3 point without bridges.

Latest posts