Slingerland kit on eBay... this one really made me laugh!!

Fullerton 9/72

Reaction score
That shine-y chrome kit is in nice shape for an 80's Slingerland. I don't like those pearl-type mounts or the metal hoops though. And to think, he can ship it all, 'expedited', for only $13.00.

The seller, a self-described "hot drummer", with a whopping two eBay transactions under his belt, does at least have a %100 rating. A 70's 9-piece Slingy in that shape, with hardware, might be worth $1,500, tops, but not an 80's. But they are very well cared for. Those drums were loved.

Last edited:

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Vintage drums altered for Pearl mounts are generally worth around half of what they would be otherwise.

Last edited:

musicman64

Reaction score
He is 2 hours north of me....for comparison...another almost identical set has been for sale on local craigslist { about 1 hour southeast of me} for 2 months , starting at $1500....now down to $1000. His first ebay transaction was for a very nice black DW collectors 6 piece set, with K's, Paragons, all DW hardware....and he got his $3000 for that. maybe he is just stuck on that price ???. OT...I do like his clean organized garage though.if it is HIS garage...

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Unless one personally witnessess the money exchange on the seller's last kit, you really don't know what it sold for in anything but a BO or "auction listing" with multiple bidders. And even with those, shills and low feed back bidders sometimes back out....and Ebay doesn't update the listing to say it did not sell. I see that quite often. And their fixed price listings that say "SOLD" often did not sell. I see that all the time too. Very difficult to say an item fetched "X" unless seller accepted an offer or there were multiple bidders right around the final auction price.

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I messaged the seller and requested serial numbers. Here's his reply...

Hi,

Sorry for the delay. The kit is packed away in the soft cases and not easy to get to. Anyway, full disclosure, when I bought the original 4-piece 10 years ago, I had the badges off and labeled from which badge came off which drum....then my 2 year old granddaughter decided she didn't like the way I had them! Anyway the numbers correspond to the three toms but may be not on the right tom, the kick is correct. Here are all the numbers for the 9-piece kit:

12" - 881602
13"- 884494
16" 888675
18" 3992952 (bought later)
Kick - 888859
Concert tom 8" - 443272
Concert tom 10"- 456082
Additional Rack (10x13") 819451

Hope that helps

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'm replying to my own post about the serial numbers. Other than the concert toms, none of those numbers make any sense for USA-made Slingerland drums! Notice the SN of the 18" floor tom? Looking back at the posted pictures, I noticed those large "Mickey Mouse Ears" thumb screws on the floor toms. Those were used in the 90's. Thoughts?

-Mark

musicman64

Reaction score
Yes, you are probably right on that call. After a few minutes of search, it shows the buyer has 0 transactions for last 6 months...

Tama CW

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Those are likely the original mounts. Slingerland was offering those in the '80s.
Interesting, I didn't know that. Would certainly be more desirable with Slingerland mounts though. I had those same mounts on my late 1960's Slingerlands when a previous owner went to double rack tom in the very early 80's. I seem to run into as many 60's to 70's Slingerland's with Pearl kick mounts than Slingerland ones.

Rich K.

DFO Master
Reaction score
Interesting, I didn't know that. Would certainly be more desirable with Slingerland mounts though. I had those same mounts on my late 1960's Slingerlands when a previous owner went to double rack tom in the very early 80's. I seem to run into as many 60's to 70's Slingerland's with Pearl kick mounts than Slingerland ones.
I really wanted to drill my red tiger '70s Slingerland for Pearl mounts. Glad I never put in the effort to do so.

thebeebe5

DFO Master
Reaction score
Every drum altered for those Pearl mounts is worth at most half of it what it normally would be. Too bad.
I’m guilty. Swapped the Slingy original mounts on my copper over wood 5piece kit (circa 75-ish?) for a Pearl mount. Way better mount. Good for the Slingerland originality? No. Good for actually playing? Yes. Would I do it again? Not as an adult. But as a clueless high schooler I probably would....

mgdrummer

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I’m thinking a good number of those drums are the Slingerland Spirit series from the early 90’s. That would explain the 8 lug bass drum, Pearl style mounts and the “Mickey Mouse ear” wingscrews.

A.TomicMorganic

Reaction score
I sold a similar kit, 10 pieces, 2 BDs, for $1000 and it took a couple of months to do it. And mine had all the swivomatic hardware.

Latest posts