Slingerland/Leedy Tom

joeyponch

Reaction score
I’m restoring a beautiful ‘67 Ludwig sky blue pearl kit with this 13” tom.
I’ve done some research but would love some verification that it’s a Slingerland/Leedy since there’s no badge on it or even an air hole.
Thanks so much!
- Joey

Attachments

studrum

DFO Master
Reaction score
Yup, that's what you've got. Please don't dismember that drum. It is one of the finest examples of a SlingerLeedy I have seen. It's a funny thing, most of the SlingerLeedys I have seen are stamped around the same time as yours, including my own! That color is quite common for Ludwig over quite a time range, so I'd think you could get decent bucks for the tom you've got and get a Luddy to REALLY match.

joeyponch

Reaction score
Aww, thanks, guys! This is exactly what I needed to know. Didn’t know about the badge thing. Don’t worry, I am not altering these in any way. They were thankfully in pristine condition, just a little dirty and rusty.
Btw, I highly recommend Evapo-rust for cleaning rusted hardware. Safe and non-toxic.
Happy drumming!

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
1965 might mean it was made in Shelbyville....would be a rare tom, indeed.
Leedy beavertail lugs, along with the build date would nail it as a SlingerLeedy tom.
Built as a wrap finish drum, too..."P" for Pearl.
Nice drum, good luck with the project....welcome to the forum, as well. =)

Elvis

Last edited:

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Good call. Mahogany interior, too. This drum gets nicer all the time....

joeyponch

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!
While I have your attention, maybe you can tell me what these markings mean on the '67 Ludwig shells.
Appears to be an "A" written with a Sharpie?? Is this factory written or maybe previous owner scribble?
(14 x 20 kick, 16 x 16 floor)

Attachments

Elvis

The King of Rock'n'Roll
Reaction score
Hard to say.
Its likely not a date stamp, if that's what you're wondering.
Those usually take the form of month/year or month/day/year of one iteration or another, but a single letter like that...yeah, hard to say.

Elvis

thin shell

DFO Master
Reaction score
Good call. Mahogany interior, too. This drum gets nicer all the time....

That's Maple. Not Mahogany.

Tama CW

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Thanks, everyone!
While I have your attention, maybe you can tell me what these markings mean on the '67 Ludwig shells.
Appears to be an "A" written with a Sharpie?? Is this factory written or maybe previous owner scribble?
(14 x 20 kick, 16 x 16 floor)
I've seen "C" before on mid-60's Ludwig shells, which is probably an inspector's mark. That "A" is probably similar.
Slingerland ended the Mahogany inner shell run around 1963. And the mahogany is a reddish brown color. Hard to miss.

Latest posts