Slingerland leg mount stripped!

lossforgain

Team DFO
Staff member
Reaction score
I am working on rehabbing a silver sparkle Slingerland set that my brother picked up for me and I have been pretty happy with how the condition is turning out. Unfortunately I got the floor tom all back together only to find that one of the leg mounts is stripped and won’t allow me to tighten the screw down on the leg. It’s a real bummer because the chrome looks great on the part.

I haven’t done any re-tapping before, and looked up the helicoil kits ($$$) but one review on Amazon said that the threaded inserts might be too long for an application like mine. I’m sure someone here must have experience with making one of these mounts usable again. Help?

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
My father is a good mechanic and has retapped all kinds of things for me although sometimes you have to use a larger bolt/t screw. That being said you can purchase used and I believe repros of those mounts.

komodobob

DFO Master
Reaction score
I've been told a Heli-coil tap will do the trick for you. That way you can use the existing wing bolt.

K.O.

DFO Master
Reaction score
If the Helicoil option doesn't have much appeal, this would be an easy alternative:

https://reverb.com/item/5912159-maxwell-slingerland-style-9-5mm-floor-tom-leg-bracket
I was going to mention that as well. If you have the heli-coil stuff, or know someone that does it's certainly a good option but when you can buy the actual new part you need for $25 that seems a no-brainer. I just put three of these on a Slingerland floor tom I re-did and they were totally worth the $75 it cost to do the job right.

drumsforme

Reaction score
Ironic that you are posting this, Subbed this past Friday with -10 pc big band, Brought out my '65 Slingerland 12", 14",20". Went to tighten the left side spur and it stripped. The right one had already been re tapped two years ago...so to make it thru the gig had to resort to duck tape.....already replaced two floor tom brackets over the past few years. At this point, It's just bad hardware. I get it...Had two spur mounts from a MIJ Gracey Kit in my parts bin that are so very close to the Slingy's.....had one extra screw and had to bore out the spur rod hole slightly. Even though it was MIJ from the late 60's it was well made and probably wont strip like the soft casting on the Slingy spur bracket. I can't afford to have these things happen !
slingy spur.jpg

Last edited:

rondrums51

rondrums51
Reaction score
Yeah, Slingerland floor tom and spur brackets were famous for stripping out. A steel screw tapped directly into a soft metal casting--guaranteed to fail. It happened to me on every Slingerland set I ever owned. I'm glad to see that Maxwell is making repros. I would go that route. HeliCoil could work, but I'd rather not mess with it.

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
I'd like to see Maxwell also add the Slingerland BD spurs to his repro catalogue.

rpludwig

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
helicoils are an eze fix, used them on the spurs, ft leg mounts and bd cymbal mount with no regrets, and retains the original wing screws...best to do it proactively if you're a vintage slingy guy, rather than have an "incident" on a gig...

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Here's a picture of a Slingerland bracket that I had repaired with a helicoil. With Maxwell's repro brackets at only $25, I'd probably go that route today!

-Mark

Attachments