Slingerland model check

thejohnlec

Reaction score
Hi all,

Posting this for an old high school friend who has this cool satin wrap Slingerland kit. Was this a student model? The matching snare is a six lugger with a Rapid strainer. He’ll never sell it (he’s owned it since we were in hs together), I’m just posting to get a possible model number or a little history. Date stamps are Jan-Feb 1966. Thanks all - hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

66405DFC-2002-451E-BDAC-CAC9918EFAD8.jpeg

Mcjnic

DFO Master
Reaction score
It appears to be a Stage Band set.
It is a money saver kit. They used cost cutting measures to make it more affordable. Less lugs saved them money which meant they could offer it for a reduced price. But it’s a full on professional Slingerland kit through and through.

1A487D9D-62C8-4918-AECB-FEB7175575CF.jpeg

studrum

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
Your buddy has got a cool set. Now he needs to do the right thing and get a bottom hoop and T's for that tom.

MntnMan62

Reaction score
The shells used on the Stage Band kits were equal to those used for the more upmarket kits. I believe in 66 they were using three ply poplar/maple/poplar. My understanding is that earlier in the 60s they were using poplar/mahogany/poplar. I have a 75 version of the kit and while I was a little disappointed when I saw that it was a "student" kit when it was given to me as a present, I have really grown to love these drums. I still have them and use them. The only kit I've ever owned. I really like the wrap on your friend's set.

drumfx

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Posting this for an old high school friend who has this cool satin wrap Slingerland kit. Was this a student model? The matching snare is a six lugger with a Rapid strainer. He’ll never sell it (he’s owned it since we were in hs together), I’m just posting to get a possible model number or a little history. Date stamps are Jan-Feb 1966. Thanks all - hope everyone is staying healthy and safe!

View attachment 433994
What about the 2nd floortom? Slingerland as well

idrum4fun

DFO Veteran
Reaction score
A really cool kit! Definitely a Stage Band outfit, but with the optional 22" bass drum. Easy to tell from the 10 lugs vs 8 for a 20" and smaller bass drum. Not sure if the rack tom is a 12" or 13". The original floor tom is definitely the 12x15! Can't tell what the second floor tom size might be. The wrap is most likely Green Satin Flame, aka Aquamarine. It's a bit too light looking to be Blue Satin Flame. I don't blame the owner for never letting go of these!

-Mark

drumphils

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
A 12x15 Stage Band in Green Satin Flame? I can’t recall ever seeing one!
Not that I haven’t looked ........
The set here is a 12,22 but a standard lug 16.

1586275439983.jpeg
1586275439983.jpeg

multijd

Very well Known Member
Reaction score
The shells used on the Stage Band kits were equal to those used for the more upmarket kits. I believe in 66 they were using three ply poplar/maple/poplar. My understanding is that earlier in the 60s they were using poplar/mahogany/poplar. I have a 75 version of the kit and while I was a little disappointed when I saw that it was a "student" kit when it was given to me as a present, I have really grown to love these drums. I still have them and use them. The only kit I've ever owned. I really like the wrap on your friend's set.
You've got the layup on the shells inverted. Earlier shells are mah/pop/mah. Later mpl/pop/mpl.